John Anthony Brooks at Hoffenheim

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Pagefan, Dec 14, 2009.

1. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Not unusual for a CB.

2. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He needs to stay healthy

3. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    According to @Suyuntuy, Brooks is dumb. I disagree, of course....

4. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was definitely one of Brooks' better games this year. I think he is pretty underrated. I think he is well above average in almost every aspect of the CD position except one-v-one tackling against small, quick wingers. Unfortunately, I think he is significantly below average at that. Luckily this isn't his primary concern. Right now he is the only CD the USMNT has that is actually a plus at that level. Is he world-class? No.... but serviceable to good depending on the day.

felloveranddidanadu and nobody repped this.
  5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He's just inconsistent and can look world class one game, adequate in five, and quite poor in two, about.

6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WheezingUSASupport and Winoman repped this.
  7. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All in all... Brooks had another very solid game but had a chance to stop the game winning goal and was found wanting. It was a crazy sky-high jump ball that was pretty hard to judge so I am not going to be too harsh on him. He played great D for most of the game and had several dangerous head-ons that could have been put away.... he was even moved to forward (like we saw last year a couple of times) towards the end of the game and actually created the final two chances with his head. Disappointed in Wolfsburg... they looked sloppy up front and shanked some good opportunities.

8. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I was watching Schalke/Bremen, so I didn't see Wolfsburg today, but that's a disappointing result for them. They looked so good against Leverkusen. For the sake of Brooks and Llanez, I'm rooting for them to hang onto that last Europa League spot.

9. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    He is way better than serviceable. He is a top notch central defender

Deeneaus and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  10. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    Brooks has quietly been playing pretty well since the restart of the season. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

Winoman and largegarlic repped this.
  11. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he was benched following the winter break after a poor string of games but reclaimed his starting spot on Feb 15 following a red card suspension to Pongracic. Since he returned to starting, Wolfsburg is 5W, 2D, 2L.

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    is he though? how's his rating/ranking in the Bundesliga?

13. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes he is. Not that it means anything but whoscored has him as 78 overall in the league.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    He played well defensively v. Bremen today but Sargent was pretty effective in hurrying Brooks' passing, thereby keeping him deep and making it harder to hit his big forward with long passes.

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    no.78 or performing at 78%?

16. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The former. Not sure what you’re asking In the latter. Either way, whoscored means nothing. Brooks is a very good player. He def has flaws to his game and his injuries have led to some inconsistency. But he’s a very good player.

17. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brooks starts, again. Currently up 2-0 in the 40th vs. Freiburg.

Winoman repped this.
  18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's now 2-2 early in the 2nd half.

Winoman repped this.
  19. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Just saw the first half highlights. Freiburg forward slipped in behind Brooks (and in between the two Wolfsburg CB's) to head in their first goal at the end of the half. Brooks attempted to cut off the cross with a diving header, but he wasn't able to get to it.

I haven't seen the second goal yet.

20. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    #4120 KALM, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    Re: the second goal, Freiburg scored 15 seconds into the second half. Wolfsburg looked completely out of sorts and unready to begin.

The goal was a looping header (off a rebound) that Brooks tried to clear off the line after scrambling back, but it went just over his head.

21. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4121 autobus39, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    Game ended 2-2

Brooks started the move on Wolfsburg's first goal (0:57 of the highlights). Freiburg's first goal is at 4:10 and the second at 4:45 of the highlights as well as another big Freiburg chance at 5:31.

Brooks was fine in my opinion. Won a bunch of headers and had a couple decent passes. There were a few times when he was pulled wide defensively and Freiburg were able to play around him or Brooks fouled, and he had a misplaced back pass early in the game that Casteels had to clear out of bounds.

With Bayern Munich and Bayer Leverkusen the German Cup finalists, 7th will be good enough to qualify for the 2020-2021 Europa League though 6th is preferable since it means automatic entry to the group stage. Wolfsburg are 3 points ahead of 7th place Hoffenheim and 4 points ahead of 8th place Freiburg with 3 to play. They do have the goal difference advantage over both clubs.

22. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, shows the strength of the German league that given the circumstances 7/20 (35%!) of the league will make it to Europe

Hobo repped this.
  23. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7/18

ttrevett and felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  24. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Winoman repped this.
  25. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JAB adds to his consecutive start streak today against gladbach. He has been locked in for quite a few games now opposite Prongracic. The pair have been very good together. Hoping for another good performance today. I love mid-week football!

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.