John Anthony Brooks at Hoffenheim

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Pagefan, Dec 14, 2009.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    My guess is Brooks is past sell-by for the national team or higher level teams, but he's got enough skill that in the right system he can still help a Hoffenheim or better. But you can use him in a real highline unless he's got a fast partner tasked with dropping. But he can get the ball long with accuracy and help a fast break/countering team for sure, if his left foot is still what it was.

2. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brooks start in match against Bochum who sit in playoff relegation spot only 3 pts below Hoffenheim. Hoffenheim with only 2 pts in last 8 matches. Important match for both clubs.

BostonRed and Winoman repped this.
  3. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The Hoffenheim defense is horrendous

4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To play, or not to play, that is the question.
    Whether ‘tis nobler on the bench to suffer
    The boredom of not playing for Benfica.
    Or to take the field against the Bochums and Gladbachs
    And by opposing, get pasted.

5. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Hoffenheim making a coaching change. Florian Plettenberg says the favorite to get the job is Ralph Hasenhuttel we shall see how this effects Brooks

6. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoeneß looked like a man at peace with his situation at the end of the Bochum match. Looks like TSG has appointed Andreas Breitenreiter.

As far as Brooks, I don’t think the middle of a back 3 is a good spot for him defensively. We’ll see what comes next as the situation is getting serious and the bleeding of goals worsening. The 5 goals conceded to Bochum was the most this season and coming from a relegation zone club had to hurt.

7. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Breitenreiter is actually the coach that just got sacked

8. AngelaMerkin

AngelaMerkin Member+

Dec 2, 2005
    Brooks isn't exactly in game shape after not seeing much action for the past 7ish months. That said, the entire Hoff outfit looked like none of them had a clue. We'll see where they go from here with the new manager.

9. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    haha, thanks. I was looking up news on who the coaches name and I guess I got when he was appointed. My bad!

10. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yank on yank - Pelegrino Matarazzo hired as new Hoffenheim boss

11. Hobo

Hobo Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  12. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect that now Brooks might think differently of Ws offer to extend even if was for similar or less wages. They knew his strengths and weaknesses very well. Below is last paragraph of Kicker article pointing out current TSG tactics are not a good fit for Brooks, the defense or the team. Putting him in the center of 3 CB line that high presses is asking for trouble, imo.

"Especially since Hoffenheim's self-image also provides for high pressing and moving out of the last line accordingly. And in order to free up space behind it, which Leverkusen's sprinters recently entered with relish, not only the clearly unsettled Brooks, but also his neighbors Stanley Nsoki and Ozan Kabak couldn't keep up. In any case, you do neither the player nor the Hoffenheim defense a favor."

adam tash, gomichigan24 and Hobo repped this.
  13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Wolfsburg is doing better without him.

14. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brooks starts but I wonder if he is moving from middle of 3 CB's to LCB with Vogt back in lineup. Hoffenheim needs to stop the bleeding.

BostonRed repped this.
  15. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyway, they lost.

16. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BostonRed repped this.
  17. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BostonRed repped this.
  18. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DNP as Hoffenheim loses to Mainz 1-0

19. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brooks gets the start at Freiburg. Vogt not in the squad. Not sure if hurt or what. Maybe Matterazzo can get his first point with Hoffenheim today.

Winoman and BostonRed repped this.
  20. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-0 Freiburg. Brooks header clearance goes to top of box and is first timed in for goal. Looks like Brooks in middle of 5 man back line. Now at 14’

21. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoffenheim loses 2-1 putting them solidly in relegation zone. They were tied at 1-1 when their RCB stupidly got a second YC at 81' and then Freiburg scored the go ahead at 89'. Brooks looked alright. Materazzo has lost all 5 matches as coach and Hoffenheim is on a 7 game league losing streak and have 2 pts from last 14 league matches. Going down.

22. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Brooks hasn't looked good when playing for Hoffenheim but was better today.

That being said, while I have had concerns about Brooks I am baffled that teams still try to make Ozan Kabak a thing. Such a terrible player

23. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like he had a rough day today but over the course of the season Kabak's actually been one of Hoffenheim's best/highest rated players. Obviously given their struggles that might not be saying much, but a look at the stats/ratings/metrics show he's comfortably been a better than average Bundesliga CB so far this season.

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bunde...23-season-so-far-kramaric-kabak-dolberg-22137

24. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Brooks gets the start against Werder Bremen. They haven't conceded ... yet.

25. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoffenheim win 2-1 and are 3 points above the relegation playoff spot