Johan Cruyff matches and goals scored

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by PuckVanHeel, Dec 10, 2011.

1. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #2076 PuckVanHeel, Nov 4, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    You are not even giving a source so how to know what you are missing? Transfermarkt is the source? Of course that is incomplete (and uses a liberal definition of assists, thus inflating numbers beyond the standard definition).

Of course, it is inclined to bring this down, in the same way that you're crediting Maradona with 33 national team assists in your thread (which in truth includes unofficial national team friendlies, but you're still listing him with the 'official' 91 games - vintage 'viveza' as they would call it there). Same for a case like Batistuta, where some unofficial goals are added to his total (as noticed by others), but his caps remain the official number. Or some conflating of things for Ronaldo Nazario there.

Gregoire1 repped this.
  2. Trachta10

Trachta10 Member+

Apr 25, 2016
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    this is the source for Ajax
    https://www.afc-ajax.info/en/soccer-player/Johan-Cruijff#seasons
    thanks for the info

3. BayernMessi1970

Bayern München
    Germany
    Oct 27, 2020
    Thanks a lot puck. By the way, what assists definition do you use? Do you count clear deflections, goalkeeper saves, post rebounds, and own goals, or do you only count opta definition assists?

4. BayernMessi1970

Bayern München
    Germany
    Oct 27, 2020
    Includes friendlies right? Official games 727, goals 419, 348 assists, 56 penalties caused

5. Legolas10

Legolas10 Member

Real Madrid
    Jun 5, 2020
    what makes you say Pele is guaranteed a spot . I am curious to know

6. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Check your PM.

7. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
  8. Legolas10

Legolas10 Member

Real Madrid
    Jun 5, 2020
  9. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Basically the journalist views these three as his top choices but would choose the Dutchman if tempted to pick between them.

Legolas10 repped this.
  10. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Another view was here, where the journalist explained after Cruijff’s death:

“Overall, between player and coach, Cruyff was in short - strictly personal opinion - the greatest. The biggest one. Even if it goes without saying that three generations have been enchanted, kidnapped, stunned, especially by his revolutionary way of being on the pitch. From his way of doing, in speed, what others could not stand still.”

https://www.google.com/amp/m.corrieredellosport.it/amp/9833013

Legolas10 repped this.
  11. markcarrick

markcarrick Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I've watched a lot of compilations of Cruyff and I believe he was the most aesthetically pleasing elegant footballer of all the legends to play the game. He had tremendous all-around ability and could play in any position on the field, he was a good tackler, for instance, enabling him to play as a defender at times. One thing that I'm confused about is the claim I've heard a few times that he was not a great header of the ball, but I've seen him score several headers in videos, some quite impressive.

Gregoire1 repped this.
  12. Joao1102

Joao1102 New Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Jan 8, 2021
    @PuckVanHeel can you please pass the links of the current filedrops, these do not open anymore

13. markcarrick

markcarrick Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    @PuckVanHeel Cruyffs time in Spain is widely perceived as underwhelming and after an outstanding first season in 73-74, he never hit the same heights again. Many felt he had lost interest in the game as the likes of Bill Shankly and some of the Leeds Utd team who played against him in the EC Cup stated. However, It is interesting that he seemed to have played very well for the national team during that period. His game also seems to have adapted in La Liga with him playing deeper than previously sometimes even in defense for Barca during his with his playing style perhaps resembling Alfredo Di Stefano.

14. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Well, I disagree with almost all of this, but I'll not repeat myself again here.

With actual facts and statistics I have elaborated why.

Typically though, it doesn't register.

Bill Shankly said before and after the 1976 semi final Barcelona was a mediocre team and he and Neeskens were the only Liverpool standard players of that side. This can be found in the Sunday Times archive.

15. markcarrick

markcarrick Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That is the perception of his time in La Liga. I never read that article by Shankly in the Times about Barca's lack of quality (will look it up). Cruyff had some bad luck with a fair few injuries during his time in Spain but in his last two seasons played very well. His overall assists/goal scoring rate was impressive given how deep he played a lot of the time.

16. Joao1102

Joao1102 New Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Jan 8, 2021
    @PuckVanHeel or @Arsenij
    could you please pass me the files or just the stats of the passage through Ajax, it would help a lot in my research, please, I would appreciate it very much

17. BayernMessi1970

Bayern München
    Germany
    Oct 27, 2020
    So Cruyff has 348 assists using a strict definition? How many assists would he have including rebounds, deflections, & own goal assisst?

18. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    #2093 Vegan10, Feb 10, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Some info regarding the obscure but brief period of Cruijff at second division Levante. The magazine Don Balón, who had mixed reviews of his persona and continuity as a player, viewed his arrival back to Spain as a choice of a man in greed with his sole motivation in pursuit to chase money. Accusations have been made that Cruijff bankrupted Levante because the club was already in a financial crises but also because Cruijff’s contract had him receive 50 percent of the income of the ‘taquilla’ (ticket office) earnings. Besides other earnings through publicity and merchandise that carried his name. Cruijff’s aim was to help the club be promoted to the first division, but at the age of 34 and no longer the fresh spry athlete of the past, doubts were raised about what could be achieved on a vulgar Levantino team. Although the brief spell was not an individual success on a footballing scale — financially it was for him — one thing was certain: Cruijff would attract attention to the most obscure second division stadiums where people would flock to witness him in action.

52CFD362-6C77-40D4-ADA9-FADCB22404D8.jpeg
    EC396C0B-3D52-4541-B65A-1F3DC01C0BA3.jpeg
    5ED7E4A7-9D6A-47D5-B246-29DD1F27AA74.jpeg 87B98828-A4DA-4405-B5B0-05832C272EE4.jpeg

19. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    As mentioned before, the real reason behind playing for Levante was family related and illness (of course, that gets predictably ignored and left out of the story...). This is also covered in the biography.

Combined with injuries it resulted in probably the lowest playing level of his career, and being the least able to influence games against quality opponents (of the Liverpool level or so).

The whole accusation he bankrupted Levante is unfounded when you look at the extra money he brought in, even though he himself had outstanding debts to pay. It dwarfed what a normal second division team receives in income.

He had also troubles with the Spanish tax authorities, because his Barcelona salary was in the end registered as gross rather than net (therefore also problems with chairman Nunez).

Meanwhile, the reigning Ballon d'Or winner Keegan named him June 1980, several months before his Levante spell, one of the two best players in the world.
    https://books.google.com/books?id=4ytcbpXqNEgC&lpg=PA38&dq=keegan platini&hl=nl&pg=PA38#v=onepage&q=keegan platini&f=false

Groundhog day.

20. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Although the author of the article in Don Balón is skewed to being viewed more critical than sympathetic, I think you take Cruijff’s biography too much at face value. While indeed family decisions were decisive in his choices, one cannot ignore several things: only two countries offered him a good deal, in England and in Spain. But he enjoyed the weather of Spain and the team in England didn’t aspire to anything. Levante had the aim to be promoted and he liked the idea. But he also wanted a side that would bend the rules in order to comply to his demands financially. He knew that he was notoriously known to have the fame of being a “pesetero” (money-monger) and his contract was a win-to-win situation, regardless of what happened to the club.

An interview to Cruijff by Don Balón about these issues during the Levante era.
    DB98308C-0A1A-4D61-8FD4-7F50B2416723.jpeg 683D3482-2AEB-462A-876C-64D69F29F9AE.jpeg
    5982E341-B002-4B59-B1DD-35F0C46B979E.jpeg

21. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Some brief impressions of Cruijff’s game and reputation during his time at Levante. These views were taken from fans at that time from local and opponents.

Don Balón
    178E01BF-DE27-4DCA-86A1-2D5D7A0C40D3.jpeg

Against Granada a local fan from the opposing team considered him alone on a team of substandard teammates where the press stated that Cruijff got tired of creating chances that were wasted.

E11AAA9B-7216-4FB3-A7C8-A027224E9177.jpeg

Another letter from a fan from Levante that was mailed to Don Balón and which was published in one of their magazine issues, stated that some fans of the club opposed his arrival saying it would cost the club financial problems and that he wouldn’t help the team. The first part the fan agreed with Cruijff cashing in on nearly half of the box office earnings for himself in his debut, but contested the second part. There was still optimism that the team would be promoted.

22. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    This interview with Cruijff from Mundo Deportivo of his arrival at Levante is also telling:

23. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Those matches covered years ago.

24. markcarrick

markcarrick Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    @PuckVanHeel @Vegan10 What matches are regarded as Cruyffs best individual performances. I have watched a few full matches involving Cruyff over the last few weeks. I viewed the 1973 semi-final 1st leg vs Bayern Munich, final vs Juventus and Barca- Madrid 1973. Cruyff was impressive in both games roaming around the pitch demonstrating his authority, intelligent movement and bringing others into play, instigating attacks and scoring goals. He contributed defensively also tracking back and appearing inside his own penalty box. I also watched the 1969 EC Final, Cruyff played much better in the 69 final and more unselfishly than the compilation comparing him and Riviera's performance makes out. He put Swart through who was fouled in the box winning a penalty and started a few more moves as well as trying a number of individual runs which he won a few corners out of. Despite his fitness problems he was active appearing all over the pitch and contributed to winning the ball back on a number of occasions. The compilation vs Nuremberg in 68 and Arsenal home in 72 were very impressive performances also IMO.

Gregoire1 repped this.
  25. BayernMessi1970

Bayern München
    Germany
    Oct 27, 2020
    Cruyff has 348 strict definition assists? How many including deflections, rebounds, and own goals?