Johan Cruyff matches and goals scored

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by PuckVanHeel, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Prior to Cruyff's next match in the final of the Spanish cup, the newspaper of Mundo Deportivo interviewed him and this is what stood out:

"I want to leave the club with a title won"

"We are superior to Las Palmas, but in a final..."

"This season was full of psychological tension and we lacked luck"

"I'm leaving tranquil; a league title was won and I gave spectacle"

'Don't you think you let the home fans down?'
    "No, why?... We won a liga and I provided spectacle. What more can you ask."

'Well, League titles, Spanish cups, and the UEFA Cup. Mr. Cruyff...'
    "Yes, but that's not always possible. The fans are in their right to ask for that but they have to understand that many times it's not possible. In football, like in many orders in life, things turn out well and others not. We have to accept it."

'Globally, what did Johan Cruyff provide to Barcelona?'
    "Very simple: all of my will."

'But on more than one occasion you have been accused of playing when you felt like it...'
    "That's a lie. I always put all my effort for the club. Furthermore, I will say that to accuse me of that is an attack to my professionalism."

"La liga is very hard... and in the UEFA Cup we came up against very good sides. PSV was better than us... we suffered many injuries, suspensions, etc... we lacked some luck, but we are not machines and we made mistakes... a lot of tension was lived and things were bound to fall down..."

'You have been accused of mortgaging the club and destroying the career of a player like Sotil?'
    "I think not. I got paid to play and provide spectacle... Sotil is my friend, I had nothing to do with his inactivity for a year."

'But you did have something to do with the dismissal of Weisweiler?'
    "That's not true. The club and him reached an agreement... anyway, I'd lie if I said we were friends."

"Did you reach football by obligation?'
    "No, I liked it, I started practicing as a kid and saw that I had qualities and followed that path."

'Wouldn't you have like to be a lawyer, doctor or architect?'
    "Perhaps yes, but honestly I never had time to think what I liked..."

'Are you intelligent?'
    "I don't know, that's for others to judge and decide."

For those interested here's the entire interview in Spanish:
    http://hemeroteca.mundodeportivo.com/preview/1978/04/17/pagina-3/1038386/pdf.html

JamesBH11 and PuckVanHeel repped this.
  2. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Yes, thanks for the view from the Dutch side. It's always good to have as much sources as possible to cross-compare.

3. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Thanks to Vegan and Puck (and few others) that this Cruijff thread became almost complete (in term of games, goals, assists and some details in comments)

Superb! :thumbsup:

4. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    19/04/1978 --- Barcelona 3-1 Las Palmas [Spanish Cup, final]

Headline: "Clear victory in a final of substandard category"

"Rexach the star of the match"

For the losing side the PK should never have been given and according to them it influenced the outcome of the match.

Munoz (Las Palmas' manager): "Only the ref has been worse than the quality of the game."

Michels: "Finally a title... I'm satisfied to a certain extent because out of 3 titles we won 1. The group deserved it."

Cruyff: "This win was necessary."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    You are welcome.

6. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Final received some coverage over here as well. It was indeed said that it wasn't very entertaining or thrilling. They concluded, based on comments, that after their first half advantage Barcelona wanted to win in a safe way.
    It was also said (and is visible on tape) that Cruijff played as defender after Neeskens fell out with an injury.
    For Las Palmas Brindisi played who is quite highly rated in PeruFC his all-time Argentina squad thread, I saw. I also see Carlos Morete lined up who became a few times topscorer in the Argentinian league IIRC
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1978_Copa_del_Rey_Final

Generally (as said on PM too), criticism about the meager amount of trophies was raised too although it was often noted that the way the decision fell over the 1977 championship was peculiar and unlucky (red cards etc.). The foreign player of the year awards also made the press - sometimes mentioned in a bit sarcastic way. Something like "winning with his club isn't a successful project but...", along these lines.

7. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    La Liga: 23/04/1978 --- Barcelona 5-1 Elche

Headline: "A toast with five goals"

"With a joyful display of football, exhibiting the first touch, looking for the open space, and with enormous depth, Barcelona showed an image seldom seen this season. It's true that Elche facilitated things, but despite their lower ranking in the table, they are not one of the worst team's in La primera, there are worse like Cadiz, Burgos or Santander..."

"Cruyff gave spectacle"

"Barcelona put on an extraordinary performance, led by Cruyff. The Dutchman had a sensational match, one of his best with the azulgrana. Cruyff ran like few times in the recent past, and what's more important, he didn't take 10 minute rests, as is common in him. Cruyff may or may not be the best in the world, but what is beyond any doubt is that he's the most intelligent player."

The goals:
    minute 7: Trobbiani put the visiting side ahead.
    minute 19: Esteban leveled with a low-footed shot.
    minute 21: De la Cruz, from an Asensi shot, deflected the ball in.
    minute 36: Cruyff sends a ball through the defense to Rexach to score.
    minute 58: Bio scores off an individual effort.
    minute 65: Excellent individual play from Cruyff, with a precision pass to Bio, who rounds the keeper to score.

Summary: 2 assists

PDG1978 repped this.
  8. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Thanks for your kind words.

The most important things that are missing and can maybe add something is info about his youth; I already posted something about his youth career a few pages back (page 63). There is a good 3 hours documentary avalaible which I can maybe translate as far as the parts about his early years are concerned - the good thing is that it also mentions the critical parts, it does not treat him as a holy messiah.
    Another important aspect of his career is also not complete yet and that are the all star and testimonial games he played. Throughout this thread a few are mentioned (he played alongside others legends in the same team like Eusebio, Pelé, Rummenigge, Platini, Beckenbauer one or multiple times) but that isn't complete yet.

Here he plays as guest player of the Cosmos against a World XI

[with an backheel assist by him at 7:20, other assist by Beckenbauer. Rivellino played for other team]

In general I miss assist-info about games against lower league sides but as you can see/remember, I've verified and posted this for the games against the 'top five' sides (except for the very first years until 1967, which is not entirely verified - or in other words: match reports are scarce and/or contradict sometimes a fair bit). We do have the info though about the goals he scored and the number of PKs at his first Ajax stint (which is zero).

Uploaded for you some more highlight videos (from same documentary, also with 'rare' scenes). Hope you like it:

As bonus, here an excerpt with also a few Spanish comments from Spanish refs about his behavior towards them, with funny scenes on picture.

And here comments in German about the (in)famous 'swimming pool' incident during 1974WC by the Bild-zeitung journalist, plus comments by goalkeeper Sepp Maier

Anyway, thanks for your appreciation that it is almost complete. The two things mentioned above are the ones I would like to complete; the list with club friendlies is with the exception of two games complete and updated (see previous page).

PDG1978 and msioux75 repped this.
  9. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    La Liga: 30/04/1978 --- Rayo Vallecano 2-1 Barcelona

Headline: "The wind blew the azulgrana's football"

"In a boring match Rayo adapted better to the meteorological circumstances"

The match was played under strong winds in Madrid, which the home side took advantage. However, Barcelona did make sufficient merits to leave with a draw.

Rayo Vallecano went two goals up after 17 minutes (one of them from an own goal by Neeskens) and then De La Cruz cut the lead right after the half, but it would not be enough.

"Cruyff was the best attacker for Barcelona in Vallecas" and had to endure the rough "Police" marking from Nieto, but as was the case this season: Barcelona lacked finishers that could capitalize on his creativity.

Michels: "For the occasions we had, we should have left with the win... They have scored two early goals and then pulled back to defend. We dominated the 2nd half but we've again shown to lack the ability in resolving situations that we create." [He was then asked about his final impressions of this season]: "We have to take into account that from January to April, we had to play two games per week, with many cards against, injuries, but despite this we fought to the end. For that, I have to be satisfied."

This would be Cruyff's last game in Madrid, and the following week he would say farewell in La Liga to the Barca fans at the Camp Nou.

10. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    La Liga: 07/05/1978 --- Barcelona 1-0 Valencia

Headline: "Victory, farewell, and end to a season"

"With a goal from a header by Bio, after a fine individual play from Cruyff, Barcelona won in the last match of the league, where the Camp Nou congregated many in numbers, among other things, to witness the farewell of Cruyff"

"Cruyff started the game in an advanced position, but after the goal dropped back in order to help out his defense."

"The ref tolerated roughness"

"Cruyff received a severe man to man marking"

"But overall both sides exchanged blows"

The only goal was produced after Cruyff escaped from several defenders on the right wing and supplied a cross to Bio.

It was the last official match of Cruyff with the club but he still had two more friendlies that remained.

Summary: 1 assist

11. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    25/05/1978 --- Napoli 1-1 Barcelona [Friendly]

"Barca drew in Naples"

The Italian press considered this to have been an entertaining game with many spectators wanting to witness what was considered to be Cruyff's last game on Italian soil. Cruyff showed "flashes of exceptional class" and played the entire match.

Zuviria missed a PK.

Goals were scored by: Esteban and Ferrario.

12. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    27/05/1978 --- Barcelona 3-1 Ajax [Friendly]

And so Cruyff's career at the club came to an end at the Camp Nou. His farewell against his former team in a match which was deemed "football vulgar" with Barcelona deciding it in the final minutes.

Cruyff showed moments of "brilliant individual actions" and had one 1 assist.

Goals were scored by Bio, Esteban and Vila for Barcelona and Ling for the visiting side.

After the match Cruyff said: "Thanks for everything"... 'What's your favorite memories?' "At the moment everything is a good memory" 'And the worst?' "The expulsions." 'And NY Cosmos?' "I will never play there."

Carrasco (accidental President) said: "The best player of all time leaves us."

Nicolas Casaus: "It will be difficult to replace him."

Montal: "A phenomenon retires"

Summary: 1 assist

13. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    I will soon give a summary of the entire season.

14. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    26/07/1977 --- Hamburg 6-0 Barcelona [Friendly]
    14/09/1977 --- Barcelona 5-1 Steaua Bucaresti (ROU) [EC-3, 1st rnd] 1 goal
    25/09/1977 --- Barcelona 1-0 Atlético Madrid 1 goal

28/09/1977 --- Steaua Bucaresti (ROU) 1-3 Barcelona [EC-3, 1st rnd] 1 goal
    02/10/1977 --- Cádiz 0-2 Barcelona

09/10/1977 --- Barcelona 3-0 Racing Santander 2 assists
    16/10/1977 --- Hércules Alicante 2-1 Barcelona 1 assist

19/10/1977 --- AZ67 (NED) 1-1 Barcelona [EC-3, 2nd rnd] 1 assist
    30/10/1977 --- Barcelona 5-0 Las Palmas 1 goal, 1 assist

02/11/1977 --- Barcelona (w. pens) 1-1 AZ67 (NED) [EC-3, 2nd rnd]
    06/11/1977 --- Salamanca 1-0 Barcelona
    13/11/1977 --- Barcelona 3-1 Sevilla 1 PK drawn, (1 assist???)

20/11/1977 --- Espanyol 1-1 Barcelona
    23/11/1977 --- Ipswich Town (ENG) 3-0 Barcelona [EC-3, 3rd rnd]
    04/12/1977 --- Barcelona 2-3 Real Madrid 1 assist
    07/12/1977 --- Barcelona (w. pens) 3-0 Ipswich Town (ENG) [EC-3, 3rd rnd] 2 goals
    11/12/1977 --- Real Burgos 1-1 Barcelona 1 goal
    18/12/1977 --- Barcelona 1-0 Sporting Gijon
    08/01/1978 --- Barcelona 1-1 Rayo Vallecano

18/01/1978 --- Getafe 3-3 Barcelona [Spanish Cup]
    22/01/1978 --- Real Sociedad 1-2 Barcelona
    29/01/1978 --- Barcelona 1-0 Real Betis Sevilla
    05/02/1978 --- Barcelona 3-1 Athletic de Bilbao 1 goal

08/02/1978 --- Barcelona 8-0 Getafe [Spanish Cup] 1 goal, 3 assists
    12/02/1978 --- Atlético Madrid 1-0 Barcelona
    15/02/1978 --- Alavés 1-0 Barcelona [Spanish Cup, quarter]
    19/02/1978 --- Barcelona 1-1 Cádiz
    22/02/1978 --- Barcelona 2-0 Alavés [Spanish Cup, quarter] 1 PK drawn
    01/03/1978 --- Aston Villa (ENG) 2-2 Barcelona [EC-3, quarter] 1 goal
    05/03/1978 --- Barcelona 2-1 Hércules Alicante
    08/03/1978 --- Real Sociedad 0-0 Barcelona [Spanish Cup, semi]
    15/03/1978 --- Barcelona 2-1 Aston Villa (ENG) [EC-3, quarter]
    19/03/1978 --- Barcelona 3-1 Salamanca
    22/03/1978 --- Barcelona 2-1 Real Sociedad [Spanish Cup, semi] 1 PK drawn
    26/03/1978 --- Sevilla 2-1 Barcelona

29/03/1978 --- PSV (NED) 3-0 Barcelona [EC-3, semi]
    01/04/1978 --- Barcelona 1-1 Espanyol
    08/04/1978 --- Barcelona 3-0 Real Burgos 1 goal

12/04/1978 --- Barcelona 3-1 PSV (NED) [EC-3, semi] 2 PK’s drawn
    19/04/1978 --- Barcelona 3-1 Las Palmas [Spanish Cup, final]
    23/04/1978 --- Barcelona 5-1 Elche 2 assists
    30/04/1978 --- Rayo Vallecano 2-1 Barcelona
    07/05/1978 --- Barcelona 1-0 Valencia 1 assist

25/05/1978 --- Napoli 1-1 Barcelona [Friendly]
    27/05/1978 --- Barcelona 3-1 Ajax [Friendly] 1 assist
    _______________________________________________________________________________

La Liga: 25 games – 5 goals + 8 or 9 assists (some sources differ on assists)

UEFA Cup: 10 games – 5 goals + 1 assist

Copa Del Rey (Spanish cup): 7 games – 1 goal + 3 assists

Friendlies: 3 friendlies – 0 goals + 1 assist

Total: 45 games – 11 goals + 13 o 14 assists

Lucas... repped this.
  15. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    I will then combine all seasons together from his Barcelona days.

16. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Great work. This is the right time to post this:

Pelé spoke in February 1978 with 'Sunday People' (British publication). The comments of him made the press which is archived (I found it when Vegan10 was away).

http://kranten.kb.nl/view/article/id/ddd:010959814:mpeg21:p020:a0284

Pelé said a few things about the then upcoming 1978 World Cup, literal quotes:

"It is in Cruijff his interest, the one of the Netherlands and of millions of television viewers that he will change his opinion."

"A World Cup without Cruijff will not be the same as a tournament with Cruijff."

"If action is necessary to convince him, then I will participate. Cruijff needs to be there. Not in order to sell the World Cup event, but to demonstrate that the international game of nowadays isn't grey and has not a scarcity of great personalities."

Then he makes an analogy with his own situation at 1971 (with the military regime in his country etc.) and says that he was pressurized for three years to participate at the 1974 campaign.

"After my last cap, an intense pressure was exercised in order to make me available for West-Germany. By the supporters, by the media, the authorities and own mind. When I left the Maracana the supporters shouted 'fica, fica, fica' [stay, stay, stay]"

Pelé says that the president contacted him, musicians made songs, that the public radio television asked children to beg/stalk him etc.

"Some people would say: Pelé did not change his opinion, why would Cruijff do so? I want to memorize to those people that I did change my opinion on an earlier occasion. The 1966 World Cup did not save sweet memories, I sworn I would never participate again. But I changed my mind and played in that marvellous Brazilian team that became champion in Mexico. I never felt regret. I hope Cruijff will take the same decision. The World Cup event needs him."

17. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    There were some big miss at WC and became part of WC historY:
    1- Many wonder the only "topscorer" missing in Pele's cabinet was a "WC goldenboot" - well Pele was missed twice at 62 and 66 while in his TOP FORM. I have no doubt Pele would be WC62 goldenboot (look 4 shared 4goals as topscorer there, with 6games? Pele would easily get 8,9 acording to his stats of 62) this is >80% true

2- Many wonder if Cruijff would make Holland a WC winner in 78:? I tend to believe so. The same team managed to be in the final, and Cruiff presence would only make them better! >60% true

3- Many wonder if Ronaldo was not sick in WC98 final, would he lead Brazil to WC winner? 50% true

4- Many wonder if Zidane was not inured before WC02, would he lead France to win WC98, Euro00 back to back (like Spain recently)? this is also 50% case

18. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Summary at Barcelona:

1973/74
    La Liga: 26 games - 16 goals + 14 assists
    Friendlies: 12 games - 8 goals + 9 assists
    Total: 38 games - 24 goals + 23 assists

1974/75
    La Liga: 30 games - 7 goals + 12 assists
    European Cup: 8 games - 0 goals + 6 assists
    Friendlies: 13 games - 7 goals + 6 assists
    Total: 51 games - 14 goals + 24 assists

1975/76
    La Liga: 29 games - 6 goals + 11 assists
    UEFA Cup: 9 games - 2 goals + 2 assists
    Friendlies: 10 games - 3 goals + 1 assist
    Total: 48 games - 11 goals + 14 assists

1976/77
    La Liga: La Liga: 29 games - 13 goals + 13 assists
    UEFA Cup: 7 games - 5 goals + 4 assists
    Friendlies: 11 games - 6 goals + 5 assists
    Total: 47 games - 24 goals + 22 assists

1977/78
    La Liga: 25 games - 5 goals + 8 or 9 assists (sources differ on assists)
    UEFA Cup: 10 games - 5 goals + 1 assist
    Copa Del Rey (Spanish Cup): 7 games - 1 goal + 3 assists
    Friendlies: 3 games - 0 goals + 1 assist
    Total: 45 games - 11 goals + 13 or 14 assists

19. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    Overall total:
    La Liga: 139 games - 47 goals + 58 or 59 assists (some sources differ)
    European Cup: 8 games - 0 goals + 6 assists
    UEFA Cup: 26 games - 12 goals + 7 assists
    Copa Del Rey (Spanish Cup): 7 games - 1 goal + 3 assists
    Friendlies: 49 games - 24 goals + 22 assists

Grand total: 229 games - 84 goals + 96 or 97 assists

20. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    When I get the chance I will give some final impressions of Cruyff's career at Barcelona quoting what a reporter stated at the time of his departure.

I will also try to cover his stint at Levante.

21. Vegan10

Vegan10 Member+

Aug 4, 2011
    [This is translated as best as I could.]

"A King leaves the game of football"

"With Cruyff exceptional football is extinguished"

"Since Ladislao Kubala left the club no other player like Cruyff has been able to full up the illusion and the honor of those associated with the club, neither has anyone like him been able to vibrate with the lightning of his fantasy.

With Cruyff there is not a great player, because he never was a complete footballer, but what has existed is an authentic phenomenon. For years, no player has possessed the innate sense as Cruyff to convert any action into a jewel. His famous and incomparable change of rhythm, his elegance on the run, his ability to dodge, his vision of the game and his accurate instinct to discover the most minimum hollow space to place a deadly ball, have delighted millions of fans.

Five seasons at Barcelona have given him a meager harvest of titles: a league and a Spanish cup. Perhaps, from the point of view of his managers, Cruyff has not been a profitable player. He’s been criticized, and not without reasons at times, his conformism on the go, conformism derived from an ever more increasing indifference to the game which has given him money and fame only exceeded in scale in this decade by Pele and Beckenbauer.

For the fans, however, Cruyff has been an idol. Half a dozen of his plays resulted sufficient to transform a bad game into a paradise dream, to convert boredom and yawning into a roar of admiration or massive ecstasy.

Cruyff has been, above all in his career, an artist. And like a good artist he’s been somewhat anarchic, irregular, with parentheses of neglect but with sudden moments where he would transfigure and silence his critics with outbursts of wonderful spells of his exceptional qualities.

He has been, (and how couldn’t he be?) a conflictive player… But no ‘crack’ in the history of football has escaped from such similar deformations. The way Kubala used to shield the ball got on the nerves of his rivals which earned him insults. Alfredo Di Stefano would insult his own teammates. And the examples could fill entire pages.

The projection of itself of an “ace” makes him become stronger, brings applause but it also brings envy, admiration but also hate. Cruyff has possessed, in great quantity, a range of amazing virtues for his adversaries. And for certain adversaries there were brutal and insulting reactions, which explains to some point, the reactions not so diplomatic of Cruyff.

But that is just anecdotal, inconsequential, what won’t be counted in the moment of remembering his game. It will be difficult if not impossible for the generation that has witnessed him set foot onto any field in the world, to erase from memory a player gifted like few others and to make a sport played essentially with feet into a prodigious work of sorcery. The football of Cruyff has been dominated by an entrancing magic, by an enchanting and unlimited beauty.

Who cares if Cruyff was a player of limited capacity of maneuver, with scarce dominance in the aerial game and with a discrete index of finishing? In football, the conqueror, the element of capturing the devotion of the masses and the worshipping of the fans, is the one that performs the unexpected which no other can do.

Cruyff has been an unsurpassable footballer in value because of his manner to understand the game, but above all, his way to handle things theoretically impossible, which were exclusively privileges that belonged to him. The diamonds of football that he gave to us for the past five seasons at the Camp Nou constitute a gift to the spectators that understand this sport…

Cruyff hangs the boots at the age of 31, when his game can still produce sublime football… The genius retires and a myth is born."

http://hemeroteca.mundodeportivo.com/preview/1978/05/10/pagina-18/1033705/pdf.html
    http://hemeroteca.mundodeportivo.com/preview/1978/05/10/pagina-19/1033706/pdf.html

JamesBH11 and PuckVanHeel repped this.
  22. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Thanks,

I looked at the goalscorers for Barcelona in Europe between 1974 and 1978 (Cruijff was ineligible during 1973/1974 European competition in the months Barcelona was active).

Rexach 13 goals (5PK)
    Cruijff 12 goals (1PK)
    Asensi 11 goals
    Clares 9 goals
    Neeskens 9 goals (4PK)
    Fortes 2 goals
    Marcial 2 goals
    Migueli 2 goals
    Zuviria 2 goals
    Sanchez 1 goal

His production in Europe is remarkably better (in terms of burden carried and ratio) as in the Spanish league!

23. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    The prosaic review at post #1721 also mentions his aerial game as big weakness. As mentioned in this thread, he himself singles this out as one of his most notable weaknesses in his game. This observation regularly reappears. We are now in a position to substantiate this a bit with numbers.

For the national team he scored 33 goals (0 penalty-kicks, 1 free kick). Two goals were made with his head: against Norway in 1973 and against Finland in 1974.

In European club football he scored 35 goals (1 penalty-kick, 0 free kicks). He made at least 8 goals with his head: vs Nuremberg 1968, vs Marseille 1971, vs Internazionale 1972, vs Bayern Munich 1973, vs Lazio 1975, vs Bilbao 1977 (2 headed goals) and vs Ipswich Town in 1977. Those are certain.

Summary:
    National team: 2 / 33
    European football: 8 / 35

24. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Hennes Weisweiler told his side of the story too in 1978 at the brink of Cruyff his retirement. This is what he said:

He had no "feelings of hate any more".

"I think he still does not feel well that I occasionally substituted at Barcelona. We had differing opinions about the tactics. Cruijff wanted to play the 'Dutch way' [sic]. Attacking football. I had the opinion that this was impossible with Barcelona for the reason that our defense was incapable for that."

"Apart from that I carry the opinion that Cruijff has been one of the greatest players of all-time. Comparable with a [sic] Pelé or Beckenbauer. Even more than that because Cruijff could both lead a team as well as score goals for his team. That is the appreciation I always transmitted to him. Maybe therefore I was the boss over him. Only the public backed the crack in Barcelona. Not the board. That is why I lost."

Source: http://leiden.courant.nu/index.php?page=1&mod=krantresultaat&q=cruijff beckenbauer&datering=1978&qt=paragraaf&pagina=&sort=datum asc,krant asc,pagina asc&paragraaf=28&doc=9&p=11&paragraaf=51&y=556

Cruijff was interviewed after his farewell game (November 1978) and said about Weisweiler that they had different preferences. Most noteworthy sentence was: "Weisweiler wanted to achieve results with his team whereas I thought a different strategy would return greater dividends on the long run."

But as mentioned earlier in the thread, Weisweiler had big troubles with various stars (Netzer, Overath) at other points in his career.

25. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Thanks for the translation. I still plan to translate the part of the documentary about his youth but I looked at how he was received in his own country when he retired in 1978.

The second largest newspaper had as header "End of Cruijff is end of turbulent era" and covers both his positive and negative aspects. It also covers both positive and negative quotes by others. Manager Hans Kraaij said "the birth of Cruijff was the worst thing ever could happen to Dutch football" and he meant that thanks to Cruijff the financial/commercial dimension made an inroad in the country, that a "utterly naive vision on football" became dominant and that he was simply too good compared with his domestic peers, which has a "paralyzing and destabilizing influence." Things like that and other facts covered in this thread (both positive and negative) are mentioned.

It predicts that his "spiritual influence" will be felt for years to come and that "a coaching career is inevitable".

Newspaper expresses the opinion that the "Dutch game" should be thankful to him but that he also should be thankful on his part.

Newspaper/editor has the impression that Cruijff is by the people "appreciated and admired for his gifted football talents but outside of Amsterdam not very beloved." Cruijff is not a "player of the heart" (as they literally call it) like "Coen Moulijn, Abe Lenstra, Puck van Heel" who were beloved all over the country and not only in their home city.

Last noteworthy opinion is that they place Cruijff behind the "incomparable" Pelé in a "hall of fame" pantheon but he has to share the second place with Alfredo di Stefano (in their opinion).

-----

Will post the view of another newspaper (the largest) in a separate post.