Joffre Guerron

Discussion in 'Ecuador - Players Abroad' started by Manolo, Sep 23, 2008.

1. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    #351 b9d23m89, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    Guerron doesn't play as a right winger since he was in Cruziero or Getafe. He's been playing as a mediapunta mostly in the last few years. I wouldn't consider him either for this cycle like The Machine said. When he was in his best moment we simply (or should I say, Rueda) didn't take advantage of it. I never understood why he wasn't taken into consideration when he was in his best moment in Brazil. He was a player that already was part of the previous process and they didn't continue giving him opportunities when Rueda came in. That was upsetting to me. But now, it's a bit late. He's 29 yrs old and at a point in his career where he's only got a good 3 yrs of decent futbol. We don't need someone who's got 2-3 years left to be honest. We're rebuilding for the next 8 years if anything and Guerron doesn't even fit into the pic in 4 years (he'll be 33). Right now we need to be focused on the progress other guys will be having these next few months like Marlon De Jesus, Marcos Caicedo, and Cristian Penilla, as well as if Felipe will recover his form in Espanyol (it's official now), and how Fidel Martinez and Michael Arroyo will be performing in their new teams (Leones Negros and America, respectively). Guerron doesn't fit in that picture. Not as a striker and not as a winger. The situation is even tougher for him now b/c whichever coach takes charge of the NT will have even more material to work with than the previous one. If you look at the positions he plays:

Felipe Caicedo, Enner Valencia, Marlon De Jesus, Cristian Penilla, Michael Arroyo, Fidel Martinez, Junior Sornoza, and we'll have to see how Marcos Caicedo does this season. Even Juan Luis Anangono can surprise people, you never know. But that's Guerron's competition ^ as of this moment. Not easy if you ask me and considering his age disadvantage to ALL of these kids, even worse. And in every 4 year cycle there's always new guys that show up outta the blue...so we're talking about 9+ players he'd have to compete with.

All I can ask of Guerron is to do well in Tigres and then come back and retire in Liga, but as far as the NT, they're in another lane right now.

2. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    His best years are definitely behind him. In 2008 I think he could have rightfully been considered one of the best players in the world. His time in Spain had a very bad effect on Ecuador's World Cup qualifying, then he was doing great in Brazil for a while until he made the strange decision to go to China, which must have been good money because he threw away any chance at the World Cup by playing in a 3rd-tier league that is not broadcast anywhere that can be seen by the Western world.

At this point I'd say it's too little too late for him to make much impact on the NT, but I do hope things go well in Mexico because it's a place he would have done well in when he was at his peak.

3. lav92

lav92 Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

Great goal by Guerron!

4. AMLO2018

AMLO2018 Member+

Monterrey
    Mexico
    Jul 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  5. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    He had an assist too. And did he say hijo de puta at the end? Lol

JJV1994 repped this.
  6. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Question,

Are we really such a talented NT (specially in the forwards department) that we can afford not to call up Guerron? I mean with an injured Enner? Guerron the last 2 seasons with Tigres has easily become one of the best Ecuadorians in Mexico, he's scored Golazos and Goles importantisimos, would't anyof you like having him as an option in Copa America?

JJV1994 repped this.
  7. javer

javer Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    awe man don't get me started Ive always loved the idea of him being part of the team but it always something keeping him out he could be such an interesting player on our team i even kinda wanted to see arroyo called up just cause he is an experienced player who could do really well with the new style we play

Dominguez
    Paredes, Mina, Erazo, W.Ayovi
    A.Valencia, Noboa
    Guerron, Arroyo, Montero
    E.Valencia

Dominguez
    Paredes, Mina, Erazo, W.Ayovi
    A.Valencia, Noboa
    Guerron, Bolanos, Arroyo
    E.Valencia​

8. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    no doubt in my mind. Unfortunately for Guerron, he was never taken advantage of in his best moments (besides when he was playing with Liga in the 2008 Lib and a bit later when he was in Getafe). When he was scoring a lot in Atletico Paranaense, Rueda gave him 0 attention. Later when he went to China he had good moments here and there, but he was never really taken into consideration around that time....and to be honest he may have not been in the form he is now playing in a more competitive league (mexico), but I think he deserved more opportunities at that point too. Now in Tigres he's been doing really well two seasons in a row ever since he got there and even in Libertadores he has been fndamental to Tigres in two of their games. He scored an important goal in none other than the Monumental (River's home) the best team of 2014 in South America and had a very good game overall.

The problem with Guerron is that he doesn't create good vibes in the camerino to be honest. Guerron is the type of player that won't hold back on speaking his mind out. And sometimes that's not ideal b/c of the atmosphere it can create. He has publicly shown his differences with the FEF, with Rueda (an ex coach), he had troubles with Vizuete at one point....his track record isn't too good. Not to be in the FEF's defense, but it's not just their "influence" that leaves him out of the call up.....it's also his attitude. Guerron has always had an ego after what he did in Libertadores 2008. And it's no surprise. He's Edison Mendez's cousin. These guys have egos. I don't mean it in a negative way either, I'm just saying that some egos are harder to handle than others. Mendez was "tolerated" per say b/c he was a leader since he was young. He scored the goal to our first win a world cup, he was part of the legendary 2002 and 2006 squads, he played round of 16 in a WC, has won copa sudamericana, recopa, campeonatos with Liga, with PSV, etc. Mendez could pull of being who he was, but I always got the notion that Guerron feels like he deserves special treatment when he hasn't done half the things that Mendez has done at NT level. I'm a huge fan of Guerron obviously b/c he's an idol in Liga, but I think the way he has carried himself in the past when being involved in the NT hasn't proven to be beneficial for either himself or the NT. From Vizuete to Rueda, there was always tension at the moment of calling up Guerron. I think Quinteros wants to stay away from those problems.

9. GPisco

GPisco Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Toronto, On
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Guerron scored in his libertadores game today and man ohh man wat a goal and in the first minutes of the game too

10. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    1 Goal and 2 1/2 assists.

11. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Hmmm..I am not sure about that, I agree with everything about Mendez 100% arguably the greatest NT player ever, but let's not be naive, Guerron isnt being called up for saying things public, but for "what" he said and against whom, our NT has had it's fair shares of "problemas extrafutbolisticos" from Kaviedez' partying (add his ego) and Bolillo looking the other way, Caicedo hanging up on Rueda, Mendez not wanting to play for Vizuete, la cama a Suarez for trying not to call up Ivan Hurtado and most recently the comments by Montero making public that some players go to the NT for the $$$, that went worldwide, even Jorge Ramos (who's always hated us anyway) had a field day about that, sure, he made a mistake and his performances earn him to get called up again, but hasn't Guerron earn this too? besides, other than Getafe, I have not heard complaints about him, in Brasil, China and Mexico now, specially in Tigres, Tuca Ferreti has said that he's a comedian in the locker and gets along great with the younger players, dude, you saw Emelec's game I'm sure, you saw Mena's misses? you really dont think there's some need for Guerron, also keep in mind I have not been his strongest supporter for years, to me even in Brasil he wasnt doing as good as he is now, but I got to give him credit, and I can honestly say I watch his games, not just highlights, dude, his game on Tuesday against that Bolivian team was a beauty.
    I'll just say this, imagine with me, Ecuador vs Chile, First game of the Copa, tied 0-0 minute 90, Miller makes a good play along with his typical passes, who do you rather have in a one and one with the keeper?Mena, Ibarra or Guerron? (I mentioned those 2 because I fell that he's competing with them for the position)

12. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    I'm officially on the Guerron bandwagon (I always was). The guy needs to be part of the NT going to Copa America.

The guy is a hero now at Tigres. He's charismatic and an exciting personality. I think it's a shame that the only chance he got on an international stage was 2008 and now. I believe Ecuador and the world have missed out on seeing this guy regularly. I also think he can help the NT over the next couple of years until we find the right striking duo. Right now Caicedo-Bolanos is not really frightening any defenses.

13. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Great assist by Guerron against River.

14. cabezamagica

cabezamagica Member

Feb 10, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    watching Guerron play,man i have to say it,this guy is playing proper football.I hope Quinteros gives him a chance ,he can pick up where Antonio left off ,since he turned into a defensive robot. I dont see his crossing abilities any more and this is something guerron has.

15. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    You guys think he will play the final?

16. viagoal

viagoal Member

Jan 5, 2005
    I think he'll play in the final.

17. midfield.design

May 13, 2015
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Why didn't he play tonight? They sure could of used him. Hope he plays net week

18. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The official word is that he was out with a fever but the rumor is that he was pissed that alvarez got the start over him. I hope thats not the case and it is a fever cause his speed could have really helped in this one. You do feel for the guy cause he's been very good for them and they just benched him for new guys even though he was key to this run. Aquino is still out with a pulled hamstring so if he cant go and Guerron is available, i think he starts.

19. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Mexican press is dogging Joffre again. He does himself no favors with his social media postings and would benefit greatly from hiring a PR team or a media strategist to handle all this bs. He spends so much time off the pitch dealing with media criticism, and I'm sure it's affecting his play.