Joel Sonora at Marítimo (Portugal)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Here's one out of the blue. From U.S. Soccer:

CHICAGO (Oct. 20, 2012) – U.S. Under-17 Men’s National Team head coach Richie Williams has added Argentinean-American Joel Soñora to the team’s roster for its trip to South America from Oct. 21-27.​

Soñora currently plays for Boca Juniors in Buenos Aires and is expected to join the team for its international friendly against Uruguay on Sunday, Oct. 21, and will remain with the team for the duration of the trip.​

Born in the U.S. in 1996. His dad was, and I suppose still is, this guy:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/players/diego-sonora

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/U-17-M...-In-Additional-Player-for-Argentina-Trip.aspx

2. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His Papa was certainly one of the better players in the infancy of MLS. I believe Senior played a long time with Boca Jrs, too. I though I read not too long ago Sonora was living and coaching youth in the Tampa area but that could have been someone else. Nonetheless, I know nothing of Joel but its great to see USSF still searching the globe far and wide for American talent. Plus, the Boca academy isn't shabby. Another Yank, Nicolas Gaitan, is there, right? That could be the connection.

Hararea repped this.
  3. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Wow! really cool! Good for him! Nicolas Gaitan is considered a yank?? How so? No, he's in Benfica.

4. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Different Nicolas Gaitan, a kid from NYC.

Bolivianfuego repped this.
  5. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  6. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hararea repped this.
  8. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...el-sonora-mystery-man-richie-williams-us-team

Sonora was named to Richie Williams' U-17 WC Qualifying squad that kicks off Sunday vs. Haiti followed by matches aginst Costa Rica, and Pananma.

A couple of excerpts from the MLS article:

Testudo and dwsmith1972 repped this.
  9. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  10. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    The line about Sonora excelling at the Al Kass Cup is a little deceptive. He sat the bench for nearly the whole tournament and only played the 3rd place match because Boca cleared its bench. Even then, he was taken off in the first substitutions.

http://alkassinternationalcup.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/AlKassCup2013-MatchSummary-25.pdf

Of course, that's less a knock on Sonora than a reflection of his age (a 96 at a tournament for 95s).

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    The elder Sonora was a good RB/right mid in MLS. Was a multiple all-star and won the Open Cup with Dallas and MLS Cup 99 with DC.

Had Diego been US-eligible, based on his MLS performances he likely would have gotten capped by the US.

If his son is as good as his dad, the US has itself a good player.

13. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Ahead of Mike Burns?? Come off it!

14. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He was an excellent d mid for DCU when he was there briefly, and a legend at Boca as he was there when they were VERY successful in the early 90s.

Had good touch, tackling, passing, and vision from the d mid position. Also worked really well with Etcheverry. Had the set up pass off of a Miami Fusion corner to a waiting etcheverry at the half way line looking to catch their keeper standing out of the top of the box to score from half field. :) One of my favorite goals. Apparently a play they did in practice a TON!

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  15. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    soccersubjectively and Testudo repped this.
  16. leppercut

leppercut Member+

Oct 10, 2006
    SLC and Anchorage
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked pretty good. We'll see if he starts next game.

m vann repped this.
  17. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    His comfort on the ball and vision were game-changing in my opinion. Guy looks good.

m vann repped this.
  18. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Same thing I saw of him when USA played Argentina. Skillful, and has promise. Really cool too that his dad is Diego Sonora.

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yeah, I always figured the kids of foreign MLS players would play for the US and the YNTs and in MLS but I never imagined the first two to have their progeny do it would be Alex Bunbury and Diego Sonora..

(Was kind of hoping for El Pibe, Jr. and one of the myriad Moreno kids.)

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  20. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can settle for the Moreno's or the Etcheverry's but the best could have been...... well George Best's kid, Callum. He took a page out of his old man's book --- it just didn't involve football --- it involves celebrity, fashion and womanizing. Though, I think he left the drinking out! :D

21. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think Moreno's son is in england playing youth soccer at a club team. His mom is english, so if he does become good, he'll always have that going for him.

22. ChcgoStingInMyBlood

Jun 15, 2005
    Probably should open another thread but wanted folks who might know a bit about Argentinian football. Speaking of Argentine-American brothers, does anybody know what happened to the Hoyos brothers? I believe at least one of them was at Estudiantes de la Plata but both of them seemed to have dropped off the radar.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  23. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Been pretty quiet since the car accident two years ago. They do have a thread you can check if you want specifics.

soccersubjectively repped this.