Joe Gyau: BVB vs. Stuttgart 9/24/14 - Joe on in the 74'! [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by ImaPuppy, Sep 24, 2014.

1. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Just came on in the 74' to replace Aubemenyang with BVB trailing 2-1. Exciting game, hopefully he can contribute.

First team debut, let's go!

Pl@ymaker, wixson7 and MDChief repped this.
  2. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    dumbfounded that it happened, but very eager to read reports of how he does. plenty of crow to eat in the meantime.

3. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Joe with what I believe is his first touch in the 82', just a quick dribble + layoff.

He moves so aggressively and with conviction. Hopefully it also has purpose as they search for an equalizer.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Man, Dortmund are absolutely awful in the back. No speed, no awareness..going to be a long season if they don't get Hummels back to fitness.

5. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    84' Joe picks the ball up about 35 yards from goal on the right, burns by his man and plays it outside for a cross that comes to nothing. Looked good though.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    #6 ImaPuppy, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    BVB equalizes!

Immobile scores to make it 2-2 in the 86'. Joe not involved (except for grabbing the ball out of the back of the net ;)), it was a defensive lapse of sorts from Stuttgart, but it all counts.

If they can fight back from 2-0 down to get all 3 points it would be fantastic. 5 minutes to go plus stoppage, still some time with BVB pressing.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  7. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    #7 ImaPuppy, Sep 24, 2014
    88' Gyau picks up an overhit cross in the 18 near the endline, lays it back for Schmelzer who fires a shot low which is saved by the keeper. Rebound comes out to a BVB player who ends up committing a foul after failing to beat his man. Good awareness by Joe, but he could have been more selfish and taken the shot himself and nobody would have been mad at him I think, even if it was a poor angle.

Into stoppage time now, 4 more minutes.

raza_rebel, Namdynamo, Hobo and 3 others repped this.
  8. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great news! Thanks for the updates!!! Hoping for some good news.

9. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I literally never expected Joe Gyau to play for a team like Dortmund.

Pl@ymaker, ussoccer97531 and ImaPuppy repped this.
  10. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    #10 ImaPuppy, Sep 24, 2014
    Joe looks to have been fouled in midfield but there was no call despite jeers from the fans. Commentators liked it from Gyau and mentioned his good work, but he was still stripped of the ball.

And a minute later Gyau dummies an aerial cross which leads to a shot from a teammate that is saved off the line. The rebound comes out and Joe tries and acrobatic scissor kick but scuffs it a little. It would have been an unbelievable goal, but very very few players could execute it with the speed and height of the rebound, so there's no fault in mishitting it.

Joe getting more involved as time goes by, doesn't look off the pace at all.

GiallorossiYank, Hobo and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. USAMEX10

USAMEX10 Member+

Sep 24, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Gyau was good whenever he had the ball except I think he was dispossessed at one point that led to a counterattack(? My stream is a lil grainy pretty sure it was him though).

Awesome finally got his BVB debut

12. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    FT: 2-2

Exciting and dramatic end. BVB really should be winning games like these, but it's a nice salvage job.

As for Joe: Took him a few minutes to get a touch but once he did he looked comfortable on the ball and up to the pace of the game. I believe he completed all of his passes, though he was stripped once in midfield (after some good work, may have been a foul). Nothing noteworthy from him, but nothing bad, and some encouraging moments getting involved in attack. He can only build on it from here, and I think he'll get more looks as the season goes on.

Klopp should be a little worried though with results like these, because his defense looked really poor, and these are games they should definitely be winning, as I stated before.

Camera pans to Klopp giving Subotic an earful after he and his CB partners' lackluster performance.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    #13 ImaPuppy, Sep 24, 2014
    When he was around 16-17 there were definitely flashes of world class where you thought, "if he develops well, he could be special."

Though, after being loaned out from a lesser club, I would agree there's no way I would have seen this coming, at least not so quickly. He better hope Klopp stays on because this is a huge opportunity for him that I don't think other managers would be giving at a club like this.

He has talent, no doubt, but this is still BVB, and they were just in the UCL final like 2 years ago.

Anyway, this is very good news from a national team perspective. I'm a huge MLS fan and enjoy seeing our guys playing at home, but with some of the dwindling lately in YAs, there needs to be the emergence of some new blood. Joe is leading the charge now, I suppose.

Pl@ymaker and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The current PT is mostly due to injuries, but this can at the least improve his resume and get him more opportunities.

ImaPuppy repped this.
  15. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Agreed on eating crow, thought he was horrible during some of his Nat appearances and extremely overhyped. But this is the show, and a big one at that. Good on ya young man. I'll happily jump on the train.

16. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    BVB gets strip-mined by Bayern, just like every other team in the BL. So unless you are Bayern, staying on top is difficult/impossible.

Winoman repped this.
  17. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    While that's true, you can also look at historical finishes over the prior 10-20 years to create a hierarchy of clubs in the BL.

Here are BVB's finishes since '95, plus German cup finish (next to the league finish), and European competitions with performance in those:

[​IMG]

Obviously, Bayern will be top dog for the forseeable future, but a club like Dortmund, especially with the size of its fanbase and recent UCL performances, has a legitimate claim as number 2.

They're right in that "any given year" tier with Bayer and Schalke, and to a lesser extent Bremen and Stuttgart..who have obviously dropped off lately.

Fact is, Dortmund is a massive club. The revenue they get from consistently selling out an 80,000+ seat stadium alone is enough to make them constantly competitive in the CL spots.

felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  18. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dortmund is a great choice for any player. their stadium, atmosphere, and coach are all something every club in the world can look up to. the photos of their stands during games are mesmerizing. i can only imagine what it must be like to be a player on that field, much less have all 80,000 singing your name...