Joe Enochs: Manager at FSV Zwickau

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Woodrow, Mar 23, 2011.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Profile:

http://www.socceramerica.com/article/72004/an-american-coach-thrives-in-germany-california.html

Osnabrück was relegated back to the third division the season after Enochs retired while he started coaching its reserve team, a U-21 squad. During the six years of coaching the reserves and one year with the U-19s, he got of all the German federation coaching licenses and the FIFA Pro license.

He took the first-team helm near the start of the 2015-16 season following two straight wins as interim coach to lift the team out of the league cellar. He guided the Osnabrück to a fifth-place finish in his first season.

At the halfway mark of the current season, Osnabrück is in third place, three points behind leader MSV Duisburg and one point behind second-place FC Magdeburg.

Enochs did prepare for a career without soccer. He and a friend opened a restaurant and bar, the Joe Enochs Sports Bar, nine years ago.

"But when I took over the first team, there was no way I was going to keep working at the bar. My business partner quickly agreed on me getting out of the business."

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Manager of the Year potential?

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Profile:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...s-coach-leading-a-charge-in-the-german-league

Which wastes the 1st 6 paragraphs discussing pro/rel...

Could the likes of Enochs and Steve Cherundolo, a youth coach at Hannover 96, as German-educated coaches and respected veteran players of the game there, sneak in the back door as quasi-Europeans? Enochs hedges. Maybe. “I don’t know if I’m carrying around that baggage but I know that Bob Bradley did.”

The genesis of Enochs’ career suggests he is well prepared for the art of the hardscrabble, the anonymity of the outsider. When Enochs arrived in Germany in the early 1990s, he did so without a club, staying with a former college team-mate until an opportunity popped up. These were early days for American players in Europe, who were seen as technically deficient but high on work ethic. Enoch muses that Americans presented a cheaper version of the English ideal. So it was that Enochs finally caught on with St Pauli’s second string and from 1996 would go on to stack up a VfL Osnabrück record for appearances. Neither would he have labored under many illusions of the realities of the management game: he played for 11 coaches in his 12 years at Osnabrück.

Which is where Enochs the coach steps in. They’re overdue a promotion, he admits. But there are caveats. “Going up to stay in the second division would be probably just as difficult as going up this season – maybe even more difficult.” Osnabrück see themselves as a traditionally second division club because that’s where they’ve spent most of their near 120-year history. With an average home gate of 9,800 and a stadium to match, the lower half of the second tier might be where they belong, he says. But Osnabrück limp on with an achilles heel: training infrastructure that lags behind the opposition.

5. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Top 2 are promoted and the following 4 are in a play-off battle right? Or is that only how they do it in England?

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    The club finished 6th. 9 points behind a promotion spot

11. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    They did well under Joe. They were in the automatic promotion places 11 times and the playoff place 6 times, which is pretty good for a team that's far from the richest in the division: mid-table in fact.

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gets a 3-1 win over Hamburg in DFB Pokal, with all goals scored after Osnabruck went down to 10 men.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That is great coaching.

msilverstein47 and Winoman repped this.
  14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Might be 1 of those highlight matches of his career. Sorry for Bobby, but nice to see a lower division club knock out a bigger club.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  15. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  16. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody got the XL Twitter account:

17. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I was going to freak out but I see they're bottom of the table so I suppose the front office does have a reason for this.

18. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  19. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I know is that if I was the GM/Sporting Director for about half the MLS teams, I would hire Enochs in a second.

Viera, Marsch, Vermes, Martino, Paunovic, Schmetzer, Vanney, Robinson, Pareja, and Petke are fine.

Anyone else, give me Joe

20. J2graz

J2graz New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    In my opinion Joe Enochs should be the guy the USMNT looks to right now. Since he was fired he obviously is looking for a job. He has experience briefly playing with our national team but most importantly is loved in Germany and has the German coaching pedigree. When you look at our youngsters, we have our next generation coming up through Germany. So having a guy that is used to the style and has some connections over there may be just the thing we need. We need to start rebuilding now and I don’t think David Wagner will be available or interested.

21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Jurgen Klopp might be!! Liverpool isn't working out and he may be looking for a job soon.

Just a thought.:D

Not a very good one though :confused:

22. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I haven't looked carefully through all of this, but this story mentions that Osna got him from St. Pauli for for E27,000. Seems like they got some value in return.

Der US-Amerikaner wechselte 1996 vom FC St. Pauli II für eine Ablöse von 27.000 Euro zum VfL Osnabrück und stand dann 22 Jahre an der Bremer Brücke unter Vertrag. Als er 2008 seine aktive Karriere beendete, trainierte er mit Unterbrechungen bis 2014 die zweite Mannschaft des VfL und wurde im August 2015 Cheftrainer der Drittliga-Mannschaft. Interessant: Enochs folgte auf Maik Walpurgis,. der in der Vergangenheit auch bei RWE im Gespräch war.​

http://www.reviersport.de/365615---rwe-trainer-heisse-spur-fuehrt-osnabrueck.html

23. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hmmm not exactly good. I know alot about 3rd and 4th division east soccer since my team is Carl Zeiss Jena. The former coach is... A bit of a well know south east German lower level icon. So he will be replacing a charasmatic coach. The second and far more important aspect is Zwickau is in no way shape or form a second division contender. If anything a normal candidate for relegation. Third Scheiss rot weiss Erfurt ;) the blood enemy of the great Carl Zeiss Jena where Brian bliss.player in 1992 or something! :)

Winoman repped this.
  24. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bump to our real americAm coach in Europe. They barely avoided relegation.... We'll good luck Enoch's but this team can only bring disaster. Plus is if you aufsteigen then you are brilliant.