Joe Cole's future

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Walter3000, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does he have one at the bridge? Not only are their guys clearly first team choices in every important mact ahead of him(lampard, duff, robben) but this is a young squad, other than makelele none of our regulars are past the age of 26. What does everyone think?

2. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Too early to say, if he really makes the effort to focus and improve on defense in JM's style, later on in the year he might get some time ahead of Tiago, Smertin, Parker in the open mf role and he is good insuranse for JM if a winger goes down or strikers are injured, not replacing the winger role but as an attacking link instead, like early in the year.

3. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I really don't think so. I don't think JM fancies him. I think he'll never be more than a squad player for us. Depending on how much time he sees the rest of the year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him as for a transfer in the summer. I think he is dying to be first team somewhere. He went from one of England's bigger prospects, first team for West Ham at 17, captained them for 2 years starting at 18 and now he's kind of stalled recently. I could see him going to somewhere like Everton or Charlton. I think either Moyes or Curbishley would love to have him. Personally, I think Charlton is a better fit. It's in London, Charlton has some money to spend (as does Everton), and they are still looking for an inspirational player to replace Parker.

4. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    Yep. I don't think Joey Cole will be around much longer. He just doesn't seem to fit into Jose's plans. He is a player with buckets of talent but it just doesn't look like he has a place at Chelsea. Even if he were to get some time in Lampard's spot (which is the spot he should probably be in IMO) I don't think his skillset lends well to the tactics and formation that Jose is employing. I think he will move next summer and more power to him. He's an excellent player.

5. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I;m in agreement with you that he's quite firmly a squad player, as of now.
    I believe that he will in no way ask for a transfer in January, rather, he'll wait out this season, seeing what happens after the new year.If chances in the first team are still limited, regardless of silver won, he;ll want out in the off season.

However, he'll never go to Charlton, he sees himself as better than that.

Problem for him is, will an offer come in that he thinks is 'a step up, or even equal' to what he has now.
    Very few team could offer him such a deal, and most of those that could don't need him.

He may stay by default.

Everton...um....

6. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Why the um on Everton?? They have all that Rooney money to spend that was promised to Moyes. Say they do the impossible and actually have top 4 finish and get into the CL. I don't know if he would turn down a move.

I think he sees himself better than Charlton the problem is I don't think anyone else does. He might have to be humbled before he'll move on. I can't see anyone paying more than 4-5 GBP for him.

Where do think he could wind up? Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool? Spain? Italy?

7. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I rate Cole ahead of Lampard and Duff. Chelsea would me mad to get rid of him. I'd like to see him pull on a Black and White shirt like. :) :)

8. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He plays better D than Titus Bramble that's for sure. :D

9. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

are you serious? what is your reason then? what aspects of hs game are betther than those 2 lads?

10. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yasik doesn't know Mel B too well.

11. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Um...as in interesting, a real possibility.

As Mel pointed out, the toon could be another possibility.

12. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ahh, I thought you um was an "Are you an idiot" um...thanks.

13. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Ive seen him at West Ham mate. With Lampard and Redknapp. I have always thought Cole is class for years. And nothing will change my opinion of him.

14. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I only know what he writes and that he is a Toon fan and a i don't think he is a sore looser. He did acknowledge uss kicking his Magpies behinds, although he did say it was lucky (whatever).

Is there anything specific about him i should know?

Mel... Who are you? Just don't give me the same answer as you gave to the guy who calls himself a CRESPOFAN.

15. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Just an average bloke, that has a cat called ' Gus '. I am just giving my opinion, Jeez.

16. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    And played for Boro's youth team, got hit by a car and collected insurance, has a daughter and an ex-wife. Did I forget anything Mel? :D

Mel is a good guy, he just tends to say some outrageous things sometimes. He says it's his opinion, I believe he's trying to wind people up and he usually succeeds.

17. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Class player, bags of skill.

I think, however, that who ever coined the term 'luxury player' for him, hit it square on the head!

18. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    ...and the more people stray from thread titles, the more he wins...;)

19. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    He doesn't like to defend. If there's one thing Jose can't stand, its that. Look at Tiago - not the most impressive player in the world. Not the fastest, not the best shot, not the best passer. But he (and Smertin) run all over the place. (That's why I think Parker has a future with Mourinho too, btw.) They don't neglect defense at expense of offense. Tiago may yet become the new Vieira - but he'll keep on playing for Jose because he's willing to work his ass off. Until Cole learns that, he's going to be relegated to spot duty.
    Still, one hell of an option off the bench, eh?

20. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

Sorry Clan... will keep an eye out for Mel and his cat

21. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Do you think. I would rather have him at St James' Park than a coupla midfielders. Luxury player, i disagree mate. I have always thought he was the dogs bollox.

22. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

:D :D The Gus cat says, Raaaaaaaa. ;)

23. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Ah, the great think about football.
    We can both watch the same game, yet, have very different opinions about what actually happened.

Same goes for players.

J Cole - Luxury player.
    I think it's an apt fit, especially when he shows his all too often tendency, to try and take on that 3rd/4th defender, tries to get around that last man, tries the lash from midfield etc - when all the while, the square ball into the middle to the open player was the better option.

Classy and great when it comes off, brilliant when he scores, match winning at times.
    However, as is all too often the case, he breaks up a flowing attacking move by trying to do that little bit too much instead of the simple thing.Tries, if you wwill, to be too classy.
    Just keep it simple eh?

Luxury play from a luxury player.

mho.

24. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Will take your word for it, because i dont watch the blues week in week out. Tell Hose A to give Souness a telephone. I would love to see him at St James'.

25. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hmmm, sound like anyone else?? Maybe one they call CR7 (ERRR).