PBP: Joe Biden vs Donald Trump :: The Election That Just Won’t End Thread :: [R]

Discussion in 'Elections' started by Knave, Nov 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This level of stupidity is seriously mind boggling. How does this guy manage to to tie his shoes in the morning is beyond me.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  2. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife tried, but over a couple of years period, the relationship with the friends just kind of fell apart (may be other factors). My wife's brother is an evangelical who voted for Trump the first time, but not sure the second as he is not talking to my wife (for other reasons). So. maybe, we are the problem. :p

Deadtigers, jmartin1966 and charlie15 repped this.
  3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Most libertarians over here are like the taliban of toryism who think free markets can sole all our problems.

dapip repped this.
  4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Many years ago, when I was studying abroad in the UK, there were a ton of Europeans around. Knowing I was an American gave me low marks, but I had made it a point to try and assimilate (to the point some were not sure I was a foreigner) along with my breaking of the stereotype of the loud and ignorant American. I was sitting around with some of those foreigners, and somebody started talking about meeting a guy from Texas in a bar. He was described as the complete stereotype - hat, loud, and, "large" (which I assumed to mean overweight and tall). And he was talking about the US. But this foreigner (a French girl I think it was) was talking about him, defending him actually, in a rather friendly and positive way. The only explanation I had was he had that je ne sais quoi of personality/charisma. Because everything else she described was the stereotype that we are loathed for.

That post reminded me of it. He may be among worst humans, but to millions he has that je ne sais quoi that makes them want to follow despite the blatant corruption occurring.

Deadtigers repped this.
  5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minnman, NORML, xtomx and 1 other person repped this.
  6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If s/he was very, very worried on how corporate power impinges on individual liberty.

7. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Aren't more of them worried about 'big gubment', than 'big corporations'?

Paul Berry repped this.
  8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Predictable and hilarious: the 'inner circle' is realizing that the party is about to be over and are awaking to the reality of what could be next for them...

DMaster and dapip repped this.
  9. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, if you haven’t seen the full version of the above, you really should:

The guy is pissed and really doesn’t hold back. I don’t think he goes far enough, tho. Even as he goes after Trump and his Republican allies for failing to coke out against the threats of violent, he still comes across as saying Trump’s claims are legitimate and it’s okay that he’s dragging the election system through the mud for bo reason...

Dyvel, xtomx and charlie15 repped this.
  10. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Maybe he wears slip-ons.

song219, xtomx and charlie15 repped this.
  11. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a surprise to no one, NBC is reporting that Trump is going to announce his candidacy for 2024 on inauguration, won’t meet with Biden at the WH, and doesn’t even plan on communicating with Biden.

Deadtigers and dapip repped this.
  12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A self-pardon would be unconstitutional. Preemptive pardons would not stop investigations and could be challenged in court.

Deadtigers, dapip and blissett repped this.
  13. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    It will not be unconstitutional until 1)a president does it, 2) a DOJ indicts for pardoned crimes, 3)the appeal to the indictment makes its way to SCOTUS, and 4)they make the call.

Bootsy Collins repped this.
  14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the current SCOTUS is likely to say it is constitutional.

15. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    #5940 diablodelsol, Dec 1, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    Oh I agree. I’d love to read that opinion. 50 pages of words that boil down to because he’s on our team.

I joked about it earlier...but if SCOTUS says no problem...than this scenario could happen.

POTUS could order the extrajudicial killings of SC justices he doesn’t like and pardon himself and the trigger man. But impeachment? POTUS orders the extrajudicial killing of opposite party house members. Or opposite party senators. Pardons all around.

Allows POTUS to make illegal orders. Allows co conspirators to act with impunity, and allows the President to act with impunity.

I have no doubt that this SCOTUS would still say “yeah but team”. This ruling will be lunacy.

Deadtigers, dapip and song219 repped this.
  16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure Gorsuch would? I think the other 8 votes are clear, but not Gorsuch. He may be partisan, but he also seems to understand the historical context.

17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about something worse than extrajudicial killings - working with the Sec Treas and syphoning off trillions, thus destroying the US economy.

18. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    That too.

One thing I am going to enjoy about the aftermath of pardonpalooza is watching the nobody grifter little shits that thought they were in with Trump get nothing except federal indictments

19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember that Presidential pardons only apply to federal cases.

dapip repped this.
  20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he was also picked by the Federalist Society because of his adherence to the unitary executive theory. *shrug*

dapip, ChrisSSBB and soccernutter repped this.
  21. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    They exist only to provide living proof of the @Knave rule

22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #5947 The Jitty Slitter, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    This is what the Lawfare guys have been digging into, because we are already at that point with Trump.

Iran Contra showed where the generally accepted line was. Arguably, Poindexter, North and co committed crimes in the course of US foreign policy aims, so while the actions were illegal, there was an arguable legitimate goal - and not simply to serve the presidents own personal criminal machinations at the expense of the country. Then (arguably) out of loyalty they took the fall for it, and were not pardoned later. (Of course it would be naive to think pardons were never discussed in the background). Weinberger was pardoned - but by Bush

Trump is already different, where he is using pardons proactively to obstruct justice - allowing his conspirators like Stone and Flynn to act with impunity like you say.

And we don't even know how this applies to people like Rudy and his crime family ...

I agree with Lawfare that this must be unconstitutional - there was pressure to pardon Poindexter and North but I think that crosses the line of securing their obstruction.

23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The very notion of "preemptive pardons" can't help reminding me of Dante's "Divine Comedy": in it (Canto XXVII), an ancient warlord who had repented and had become monk, Guido da Montefeltro, is asked advice by the evil Pope Bonifacio VIII about the better way to conquer the fortress of Palestrina.

Guido is worried about commiting a sin in a moment when he is trying instead to do penance for his previous sins, towards the end of his life, but Bonifacio says to him: "I am the Pope and I forgive you in advance for any particular sin that you may be going to commit".

Of course, when later Guido da Montefeltro died, the devil came for him and explained to him that there was no thing like "early absolution for a sin that hasn't even been committed yet": absolution needs repentance and you can't genuinely repent for something that you are firmly intentioned to do soon after. So he took his soul and he dragged it to hell for the eternity.

I am aware that the situation it's very different because here we're talking about an actual pardon for frauds that have already been committed, although not investigated yet, but to me the similarity between the two situations lies in the general sense of hypocrisy and in the figure of a powerful individual (the Pope Bonifacio VIII, the president Trump) who believes that he's above all rules, including moral rules regulating human behaviours at a way deeper level that what the human laws formally allow.

luftmensch, dapip, superdave and 8 others repped this.
  24. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    And to serve as easy marks for the Ayn Rand estate.

dapip, song219 and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Those are basically neo-liberals. NZ has been infested with them since the 80s