Jobs in Education (Non-teaching)

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by Demosthenes, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really, really, really don't want to teach for another year. Does anyone have any ideas for education-related jobs that I might be qualified for? I would rather not start from scratch as an entry-level (i.e. office grunt) worker in a whole new industry. How can I build on my experience but get my ass out of the classroom? Ideas, please.

2. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How far out of the classroom do you want to get? For example, my wife is a special ed teacher who was running a classroom and got tired of that, then moved into a teacher consultant position, which she likes a lot more. Not a big change, but it's really improved her job satisfaction. Or are you looking for a more radical break?

edit: also, the TC route obviously won't get you out of the classroom as soon as next year, either.

3. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is a teacher consultant? What does she do? I've never heard of that.

I'm thinking, yeah, I want to get out of the classroom completely. Out of the school in fact.

4. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How long have you been teaching?

5. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three years. I am/was a NYC Teaching Fellow.

6. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife's certification is for LD and EI. She works for the public school system (the term "consultant" implies otherwise, but that's not the case) in classrooms where there are students on her caseload with these designations and either acts as a consultant to the teacher or provides direct instruction to her students (and also with regular ed students in the same classroom). The latter can happen either in the classroom or in a resource room.

Unfortunately, the TC position won't get you out of the classroom, it just frees you up from having to prepare lessons. After talking with her I think
    a) a TC is essentially a special ed position
    b) it's use/definition may vary from state to state.

She suggested you might look at private companies that are doing things like providing educational support and materials for charter schools and home schooling, since there seems to be a lot of money flowing in that direction lately. Publishing might be another, related direction. (Incidentally, a friend of a colleague was pulling down 6 figures editing self-published vanity autobiographies for the idle rich in Bloomfield Hills.)

So I'm sorry, but I don't appear to have anything terribly helpful. She said she'd ask her dept chair about it on Monday.

7. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    You could always take the classes to move towards principal/vice-principal. Most are usually fomer teachers who went back to school for the administrative side.

8. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh no, I've already ruled that out. I don't have the right skill set.

9. bungadiri

Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, another idea that doesn't conform to your primary criterion occurred to me while I was playing Whirly Ball* last night at a friends birthday party.

I know you want to get out of the classroom, but have you considered teaching in international schools? Some of these can set you up pretty well: contracts that include housing and a living allowance that's sufficient to live very comfortably while you just bank your entire salary is the best case scenario. I knew some folks that worked in Jakarta who had a chauffeured Toyota Land Cruiser as part of their package. These schools typically hire via conventions/job fairs where you can interview en masse, but you can find postings by googling "international schools job posting" and "international schools job fairs".

*(this is played in bumper cars, using plastic track ball scoops and a whiffle ball, which is thrown at basketball height targets)

10. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there is a part of me that wants out of the classroom, too... i am in my 5th year and am getting really tired of the conformity that is stripping teachers of individuality in the classroom... it is just tearing me apart... becoming more and more robotic...

perhaps you could just consider a different part of our country... maybe that is all you need, a little variety... i have been considering that as well...

as far as outside of the classroom, what field do you teach? what is your degree in?

i am not cut out for admin either... i am actually considering the jump to college level...

11. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My master's is in Childhood/Elementary Education and my bachelor's is in English. I'm certified to teach elementary ed (all subjects, K-6).

I don't think it's likely that I'll move from NYC in the near future. Especially not to another country, although thanks for the suggestion, bungadiri. I am open to new ideas, so keep sharing anything you can think of.

I'm thinking about jobs in publishing, or teacher professional development, or curriculum development, but I don't know what's out there. I'd consider private tutoring, or working for Kaplan or Sylvan or one of those organizations, if the pay is enough. I'm also considering going for a PhD, but the only programs I'd be likely to get into don't really interest me. Plus I have no desire to add to my already considerable student loan debt.

12. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Not to downplay your experience, but just from a personal note, it's worth not writing off a complete career change as an option. Nobody likes to restart from scratch, but 3 years' experience in a job isn't the biggest thing in the world to lose if it means getting into a career you want (rather for settling for something maybe less ideal that uses your experience).

I switched career after 3 years out of uni, and although I was tempted at the time to take something more closely linked to what I was doing I don't regret it. Not saying do it, just don't think you have to be confined in what you choose. I imagine Education experience, qualifications and skillsets would be prized in many different industries.

13. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But I'm not 3 years out of uni - I'm 10 years out. Teaching was my career change. So now I have 3 years of experience teaching, 2 years as an agent's assistant, 4+ years temping and part-time tutoring, and 2 master's degrees. What I'm trying to avoid is answering someone's phones for 25K a year.

I'm not opposed to moving into a different industry at all, but I'm looking for a way to build on my experience and skills without having to start from scratch, at the bottom rung, all over again.

14. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    What about looking for a job at an education-related nonprofit? I have no clue about what sort of opportunities there might be in that field, but that's the first general idea that comes to mind.

Also, what's the other master's in?

15. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm. What kinds of education-related nonprofits are there? That sounds like something I'd be interested in. I did do some web research on education policy think tanks, but they seem to hire mostly people with a background in poli sci, not education.

Do you know of any job search webistes that specialize in jobs w/ nonprofit agencies? Or where else would I look for listings/openings?

My other master's is in Cinema Studies.

16. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Like I said, I don't know much - perhaps try a search on www.idealist.org (you can search by location and area of focus). If you don't find a specific opening that looks promising, maybe it'll at least provide some idea of what sort of possibilities might be out there.