Job Opening with the Earthquakes

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by FUAEG, Feb 22, 2013.

1. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry guys, It's not Doyle's.

I found this online. Looks like fun and it would be great to get a BSer in there.

Digital Strategist - San Jose Earthquakes

Date: 2013-02-20, 6:41PM
    Job Description
    The Digital Strategist will work in the marketing department of the San Jose Earthquakes reporting to the Senior Manager of Marketing, and will focus on the club's digital assets (sjearthquakes.com, social media platforms, etc.). This person will work with the marketing team to develop a strategic vision for the Earthquakes' digital properties that will be implemented both through content initiatives and online advertising buys. As an editor of sjearthquakes.com, the Digital Strategist will look to grow page views, unique visitors and fan engagement with timely, unique and interesting content onsjearthquakes.com, while also ensuring our fans are provided with the latest club information by keeping all internal pages fresh and updated.

Responsibilities
    ● Work to develop strategic direction for Earthquakes digital properties, includingsjearthquakes.com, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Google+ etc.
    ● Publish content to sjearthquakes.com (articles, videos, landing pages, forms, etc.) and ensure content is appropriately promoted across social media platforms as needed.
    ● Work creatively to increase fan engagement on sjearthquakes.com and social networks.
    ● Help negotiate and execute strategic advertising buys in the digital space to increase traffic and engagement across Earthquakes' digital properties.
    ● Write content for sjearthquakes.com.
    ● Potentially travel with team on the road on occasion.
    ● Work with internal departments to create new opportunities to generate sales leads and data regarding potential new clients/customers.
    ● Fulfill digital advertisement requirements for sponsors and in-house promotions onsjearthquakes.com.
    ● Work with Corporate Partnerships department to build all internal banner ads for sponsors.
    ● Create ad banners for sjearthquakes.com promoting ticket sales, contests, team promotions, etc.
    ● Use the latest analytical tools as a basis to develop new digital initiatives and content.
    ● Serve as editor for daily web content for group of sjearthquakes.com writers.
    ● Work with various departments on upkeep of their respective spaces onsjearthquakes.com while staying true to our digital strategy and brand guidelines.
    ● Build and maintain landing pages and forms on sjearthquakes.com.
    ● Update sjearthquakes.com with match recap, match highlights and relevant sponsorship elements after each match.
    ● Develop skills in AVID, Final Cut, HTML and Adobe Creative Suite with courses.
    ● Other duties as assigned.

Skills and Requirements
    ● 3-5 years experience in the digital media/social media industry
    ● Strong writing skills
    ● Basic understanding of HTML code
    ● Ability to meet deadlines under pressure
    ● Prior experience working with Drupal encouraged
    ● Passion for world soccer, and strong knowledge of the San Jose Earthquakes and MLS

• Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
    • Please, no phone calls about this job!
    • Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

Original URL: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mar/3632427766.html

this craigslist posting was forwarded to you by someone using our email-a-friend feature - if you want to prevent these, please go to:http://www.craigslist.org/cgi-bin/te/U2FsdGVkX18xNzYxMTc2MXTNDEow3edXV30_5pG023GqYpjSPyKLYvjPF9CnBdmnY4M9Tzvo7zg

2. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Should add one more requirement:

Dispise LA

markmcf8 repped this.
  3. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now maybe I'm getting old... I can't wrap my head around the phrase: "digital media/social media industry". It this really an "industry"?

4. Seismothusiast

Seismothusiast Member+

Jul 14, 2006
    Modesto
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    If you don't already see it as an industry you're probably not the right person for this type of position.

FUAEG repped this.
  5. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Wow, this actually looks like a job that pretty well fits my skills and education. Unfortunately, I don't have the requisite experience.
    Yeah, and it's pretty big these days too. Coordinating the use of Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, web sites, apps, etc. Digital and social media are at least as important as traditional media today. I don't often turn on the TV or radio or pick up a newspaper or magazine, but I'm online pretty much every day.

markmcf8 repped this.
  6. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys are missing the point. Just because something can generate income, does not mean it is an industry... No one ever called the newspaper business an industry.

This is all a service. Nothing more.

I associate the phrase Industry with a durable good... Condoms are more of an industry then Facebook.

Okay, a condom is a bad example of a durable good. But you see my point don't you?

7. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ah, yeah. Just depends on how you define it. I have a much broader view of the term. I suppose Wikipedia has a good way of putting it for my liking: "Industry is the production of an economic good or service within an economy."

markmcf8 repped this.
  8. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of people call it an industry. Do a Google search on "newspaper industry".

9. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We just thought you were happy to see us.

markmcf8, TyffaneeSue and DotMPP repped this.
  10. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the education and the humor ;)

I've been a SW engineer for almost 30 yrs and I have a hard time calling that as an industry. I kind of wonder about what would be left and useful if the power went off. Kurt Vonnegut style.. You know, when we all pay the price for playing "Thermodynamic Whoopee".

11. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean? You've been posting on BigSoccer for 6 years they're only looking for 3 years experience. Go for it. We'll be your references.

markmcf8 and DotMPP repped this.
  12. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's another ball of wax when you try to make a career out of a hobby ;)

13. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Indeed. Hopefully the power stays on for a few more years at least. I'm kinda using it.

:D Haha, it would be nice if that counted. I actually do have experience that's more relevant and useful than just personal use (academic, side work), but not professional experience.

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You should apply because I doubt there is anyone on the planet who can meet all the particular criteria set forth.

Seems to me some passion for the Quakes should make up for a little less experience than is being required, especially when the social media "industry" is barely 3-5 years in age. I don't think Mark Zuckerberg will be applying, and I don't know that he's all that passionate about the Quakes, in any event. :)

15. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Mark Zuckerberg would have graduated from college in 2005, so I'd say it's been at least 8 years!

Whoever wants to apply, you can get references from a half dozen of us regulars. We probably know you better than the person in the next cubicle does!

Now here is my other question: would the Earthquakes even hire anyone over 30? I realize that many of you have not yet reached that milestone age so this may not be a relevant to you, but my observation is that the average FO age is maybe 26. I have a friend who has been busting his guts trying to get a sports marketing job and I was going to forward this to him, but then figured they would not even look at his resume because he is a senior citizen a la Goodsport.

DotMPP repped this.
  16. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once I saw "digital strategist" I knew that.

DotMPP repped this.
  17. Neuwerld

Neuwerld Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Good point. Maybe I will apply. I wonder how much being able to name every player on the roster of the past 5 seasons (since I started following the Quakes) counts. :D

That's a possibility. Certain industries have certain preferences, and in social media and related areas I think there is indeed a tendency to hire young people. I'm sure they would look at other candidates, it just might be harder for them.

18. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained. The worse that can happen is that they don't hire you, and you will be in the same situation you are now. Go for it.

19. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It might be worthwhile talking to your rep about the job. Especially with a kitchen sinkish description like this one. My observation is that they really need someone to take ownership of the website which is in sad shape at the moment. But a rep might be able to corroborate that, and then you can focus your approach on their greatest needs.

20. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this case, I think a younger person would be more qualified...

Old dogs, New tricks. That sort of thing.

21. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Here's the first publicity photo of the new staff member:

[​IMG]

Hawkeye17 and markmcf8 repped this.
  22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Sounds like a wonderful opportunity.

23. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I don't. We make software, it's durable, but you can't hold it. Our software connects customer websites to social media identity providers. Thus, you can use our software to login to a website using your Facebook, Google, Yahoo!, or other credentials. We have a product that collects personal profile information and stores it in "the cloud" for our customers. Then our customers can make their webpages customize themselves for each and every unique visitor.This provides a customer experience and drives sales.

We employ a fair number of people. Our partners and customers employ a fair number of people.We help drive a lot of business. I bet you'd call advertising an industry, just like the news media is an industry. Social Media is an industry too, and it pays my bills, so I'm a little biased. :D

I could almost apply for that job. I don't know how to do banner ads, mostly, I write the docs that explain how the software works, so I could handle all of the writing and communication bits. Also, I'm sure I'd have to move back to the Bay Area, and that's off the table. Still, it looks like fun!

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

24. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey! The great thing about having gray hair is that it's easier to dye it blue!! And yeah, my hair and beard have been blue since Tuesday night. My CEO thought it was very cool.

So yeah, I can bet that they wouldn't hire me then. Hell, I'm older than Goodsport.

Damn. I'm tempted to apply. I could do this.

GO QUAKES!!

- Mark

25. DotMPP

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i did not complete my thought in that post. I did later, when I referenced Vonnegut. I was thinking about the world as it was in Slapstick... You know, when there is no electricity.

SW would cease to be an industry at that point ;)