JOB on the Ajax site

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by tmeuz, Sep 19, 2003.

1. tmeuz

tmeuz New Member

May 13, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Just another indicator from the Ajax site that JOB is working his way to recovery- no timeline given, but a picture is shown of him actually taking shots, and the article mentions that he's extremely happy to be "busy with his soccershoes on the field" (rough translation). He's training apart from the A-selection with trainer Wormhoudt on a separate field.

http://www.ajax.nl/show/id=1322/contentid=30806

2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    At least he is actually ON the soccer field and kicing an actual ball. I hope Ajax keeps him out until after the Winter Break. And hopefully Ajax can get their way into the 2nd round of CL.

3. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The general idea over here is that JOB is fighting a losing battle. He's been out quite often and other, younger players are slowly coming into the picture.

But a fit JOB can be quality though, and seeing how our defence is terrible atm he might get a chance to prove his abilities when he's fit. Problem is that the defence weakness is not on his position.

4. tmeuz

tmeuz New Member

May 13, 2003
    Denver, CO
    I read that the Ajax defense was awful yesterday- where do you think the problems are AFCA?

5. ajaxusa

ajaxusa Member

Jul 6, 1999
    O'Brien on his way back for Ajax

From AFCA 1900 on SoccerPages:

In a press conference at the Arena on 9/20, assistant coach Ruud Krol stated that O'Brien is 'physically' fit and 'technically' recovered from his injury. However, he has been out for a long time and will need his own personal 'pre-season' campaign in order to get 'match fit'. This will take another five to six weeks, according to Krol. He will need a handful of training games and probably a few appearanced for Young Ajax before he's really ready to return to Ajax-1 action.

6. tmeuz

tmeuz New Member

May 13, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Finally- a timeline, and not a bad one at that! Thanks for the update.

7. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    Great news. Thanks for the update.

8. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    does technicaly recovered mean that he has retained all of his bad-ass skills?

9. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    It was terrible indeed. 4-2 was actually lucky.

Problems are bad communication and sometimes plain bad defending, too apathic. Newcomer Escude hasn't been too great either.

But everything was bad sunday, not only the defence.

10. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It probably means that the MRI's show that his body has healed itself.

Tha' skilz should be polished off through playing in the reserve matches. ;)

11. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had heard that Ajax's left back play has been a particular problem point...

12. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    The real problem is Chivu plays for Roma and Bergdolmo plays for Dortmund. Those guys were rocks for Ajax last year. Losing JOB is just icing on a very bad cake.

13. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    the matches i've seen maxwell has been fine

14. tmeuz

tmeuz New Member

May 13, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Sounds like there's some disagreement on this issue. Since I haven't seen any of the matches (thank you FSW), I'll just ask the questions- how very Switzerland of me:

Scenario A: Koeman thinks there's a problem at left back- hopefully JOB regains full fitness, and wins the starting spot.

Scenario B: Koeman thinks Maxwell is doing fine. If JOB regains the first team selection, where do you think he'd play? Will Koeman shuffle the backline around? What about the possibility of JOB playing somewhere at outside mid, which he has in the past?

15. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i'd guess the likely scenario is the JOB reclaims the LB spot and maxwell slides into the DM role, but i suppose it is possible that JOB could move upfield

16. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didnt JOB get some time at right back in seasons past as well?

17. tmeuz

tmeuz New Member

May 13, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Yes, I seem to remember that he's played LB, RB, and right-mid in the past. But more recently it's been predominantly LB (when he's healthy)

18. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    This is great news. From what they say, he could be ready to for WCQ in a few months (not like we would need him then, but a nice option to have).

19. TravisMinor_23

TravisMinor_23 New Member

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    They'd move Maxwell to DM before JOB despite the fact he plays it for the USMNT at times, interesting....

20. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    yes he had a handful of matches at RB

21. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

koeman LOVES john at LB... and maxwell is a very versatile dude

22. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Bergdolmo leaving isn't that big of a problem. Ajax wanted to offload him. I personally thought he wasn't that great.

The newcomers just take some time, and play a bit worse than most hoped for, especially Escude. That's why we need more Pasanen, who is a good defender and only getting better it seems.

23. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    when we play yakubu at center back, it makes me veeeeery nervous

24. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really true there.The year FSW carried a lot ofAjax games Bergdolmo always struck me as the weak link.

25. tmeuz

tmeuz New Member

May 13, 2003
    Denver, CO
    There's another picture of JOB on the Ajax site- looks like he fully participated in practice with the reserves today. The starting 11 didn't do too much since they played yesterday.

http://www.ajax.nl/show/id=1322/contentid=30982