Joao Pinto: Hero

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Ted Cikowski, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    fianlly someone stood up to a shitty ref. I always hit refs, I think you should get awarded a goal if you hit them in the face.

2. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happen?

3. MPJ334

MPJ334 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Chelsea,New York, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    can we say violent conduct and a send off? not to mention, when appropriate, assault and battery...

4. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hilarious that I'm reading this as I watch tapes of the WC... JP got sent off a few minutes ago in the Korea x Portugal game I'm rewatching.

5. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JP also got a significant suspension from FIFA events - I think it was about 6 months. I don't know when the next Portugal competition is.

6. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    He got a 3 month ban, 2 of which co-incided with the off-season. Had he been a no-name from Armenia or Indonisia then he would have received a minimum 12 month suspension.

7. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. The punishment was very lax given the serious nature of the offense, punching referee Angel Sanchez of Argentina during the World Cup. Pinto should have sat out until the Christmas break. That would have been the fair punishment.

8. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    I thought it should have been longer than half a season. I remember a referee that hit a player was banned for life. He should have received a minimum 12 month worldwide ban, and an additional 12 months at international level. A rugby player who struck the ref would never play the sport again.

9. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would think a year ban atleast. Life time if who ever decides that was in a bad mood.

Disturbing trend between refs and playerrs in all sports it seems. Neither part is completely innocent. Damn ESPN.

10. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't see or was aware of a piece on ESPN. Was it soccer or other sports?

In the case of Pinto, Sanchez was completely justified in sending him off. Pinto made a very bad scissors tackle from behind on a Korean player. It was the kind of play where there was no intention in winning the ball. Potentially, the player could have had his leg broken. Pinto reacted poorly. Right after the match members of the Portugese confederation including it's president and Eusebio went to speak to Sanchez in the referee's dressing room. This should have led to a suspension and fine for these gentlemen too. I think the pressure brought to bear by the Portugese Football Confederation accomplished it's intended goal. FIFA set a bad precedent with such a lax suspension. Made worse because Pinto did it in the World Cup. Pinto showed no respect nor did he bring honor to the game by his behavior in the premier event in soccer.

11. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Alberto, my reaction to that tackle upon watching again is that it's got to be the worst tackle I've ever seen someone somehow not be injured by.

Definitely agree with all the sentiments about how he should have received a harsher sentence.

So I'm just curious Ted, WTF are you talking about?

Robert

12. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Portugal should sit through a two-year ban from international competition. Not just JP, but the whole organization.

13. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, when I saw the play I thought for sure he had broken his leg. In fact I half expected to see connective tissue or a compound fracture. The Korean player was very lucky.

I think Ted made an inappropriate post, but one that generated a lot of good discussion. This had been discussed at length prior to the Big Soccer crash.

14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    My brother had a Joao Pinto in the 1970s. That piece of *************** always broke down on him. ;)

15. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that would interfere with the European Championships. Maybe that is the reason why the suspension was so lax.

16. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    EXACTLY!

Ah, the good ol' days when Duncan Ferguson got jail time for assaulting another player during a game! Maybe I've just seen a little too much weirdness.

17. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    I think that if there is any more trouble from the Portugues in 2004 (remember the Euro 2000 semi) then they will get some sort of suspension. They seem to be the only major nation that causes serious trouble with officials and any more will not be tolerated.

18. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    alberto, what do you mean inappropriate post?

The ref's gotta learn one way or another.

I can't wait til Roy Keane beats some punk's ass. The sooner the better.

19. MPJ334

MPJ334 New Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Chelsea,New York, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the referee has already learned, which is why he has a badge. the players need to lear the LotG, especially Law V (the referee) that states ther eferee's decision is the correct one unless he changes it before play has been restarted. he was on the field...

In the opinion of the referee

20. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ted, no one deserve physical abuse. Particularly those of us who choose to serve the game by officiating. Just like parenting, it ain't an easy job.

Feel free to make constructive comments or advice or ask intelligent questions. But take your trolling elsewhere.

Thanks.

21. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    These two never meet, ordinarily.

22. Ted Cikowski

Ted Cikowski Red Card

May 31, 2000
    well if ref's wouldn't make bad calls and weren't so blind they wouldn't have to worry about guys beating thier asses.

there. simple as that. Don't screw over the players and they won't have to give you a beat down.

23. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're a wonderful man Ted. You're truly a pillar of the soccer community. Everyone in your life should be proud of you.

BTW, have you ever reffed a game? I mean if referees are so bad, have you ever considered that your participation could help solve what you see as a problem? If you do get a badge, come to NJ. I'll give you the name of a man who can assign you to some games in a beautiful park in Newark, NJ. Maybe that will set you straight on the issue of referee abuse.

24. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beautiful Weequahic Park and the LISA soccer league. Yeah! That would be so appropriate.

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Ted, shut up and go watch the Fusion