jmeissen0's avatar: love it or leave it

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by jmeissen0, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The Republicans didn't win by taking the moral high ground. They won with the help of an awful lot of polarizing opinion-spewers. I don't think polarizing the electorate further is going to help the democratic cause. But I am going to laugh when I read brain-farts that blame democrats for polarizing discourse after more than a decade of Limbaugh/O'Reilly/Coulter etc.

2. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    There you go again, trying to justify jmeissen actions by saying the other side did it as well. Pardon me, but that continues to be an adolescent debating position.

This discussion started from the point that no matter what jm THOUGHT he was doing, a lot of people were, and will continue to be, offended by the action. Now you sound like you are trying to say the people shouldn't have been offended because someone else did something similar. The result of all that is that the same people are going to be offended because nothing changed.

The big problem I see with much of Demo strategy is that they are saying that if you didn't accept their message, you were an idiot. A good example of this is the issue of religion in candidate choice. IIRC it was Tim Russert shortly after the election, who cited that 35% of Kerry supporters consider themselves to be Christians. Yet if you were to judge by the posters here, 100% of Christians voted for Bush and therefore stupid *fill in the blank.*

As to polarization, we could go on forever here. You can sight the folks you name and I could come back with Terry McAuliffe, James Carville, Bill Maher (the king of polarization IMO) Michael Moore, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Al Francken, etc., all people who took some VERY polarizing views, none of which would narrow the gap and reach across to the middle ground.

So as long as everyone chooses to stand in their own little corner and refuse to admit their tactics are wrong, no progress will be made.

3. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Seriously, why not Beckham now?

you are right jmeissen0... you flying the American Flag upside down is stupid! Especially since this nation is at war and there are brave Servicemen risking their lives on behalf of that flag and this nation. Your disrespect of the flag demonstrates your utter disloyalty to the nation and to those servicemen! In an ideal nation, those disrespecting the flag would be slapped in irons or placed in a stock in the town common, to be spit upon! Even with the rules of our current society, you are still to be spit upon, for your disrespect of the flag!

You want to fly something upside down... post a picture of yoru face as your avetar... turn it upside down too! That would be appropriate!

IntheNet

4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    A warning sign of early-onset Alzheimers. I'd get that looked into if I were you.

I'm not justifying jmeissen's actions. Jim can do that for himself. I am saying that your objections, given that Republicans have profited from over a decade of extremist, polarizing rhetoric from several sources, are laughable. And I am continuing to laugh as you accuse me of adolescent behavior without acknowledging the benefits accrued by the Republican party using divisive and exclusionary rhetoric.

I'm saying that, to be offended by jm's actions while not being offended by the likes of Limbaugh/O'Reilly/Coulter/Liddy/et. al., is hypocritical. That's all. I am by no means analyzing the rhetorical effect of Jim's avatar, just the hysterical and hysterically funny reaction.

I don't think "posters on bigsoccer" = Democratic Party policy makers.

ACtually, all the people you mention who work in politics and not entertainment are very good at reaching consensus. That's what politics are all about in a republic. In fact, McAulliffe's problem might be excessive desire to not offend multinational corporate interests. But you'd have to, you know, actually read journals and wonk-reports to know that. And that includes Sharpton, whose polarizing views are tactics designed to get the interests of his constituency on the radar, which wouldn't happen otherwise, because the media doesn't exactly cater to those on the economic underclass.

So long as you know that that is exactly what you are doing in most of your posts on this thread. Seriously, do you think the Republicans have the "moral high ground"?

5. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What would Jesus do?

Not worship false idols.

6. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Please tell that first part to Hannity, Rush, O'Lielly, The Douchebag of Liberty and Coulter.

Fixed your second part.

7. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    I don't think most on the left care about change. I think they care most about maintaining their own opinion of themselves.

8. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    I think flying BigSoccer upside down violates the TOS.

PS - The Blue should be on the left.

10. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not if the wind is blowing the other direction.

Iceblink - you rock.

11. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post!