Jim Smith: Liar, Coward, Fool or Pawn?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Bill Archer, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what's the deal with Ned Flanders?

He said no decisions would be made until after emotions had cooled down enough for him to do an "evaluation" of the personnel. But about five minutes after the season, when the Dispatch hinted that Andrulis was history, somebody convincing immediately corrected them, saying that the decision had been made to keep him.

No direct comment from the Crew.

In the last week, the controversy has heated up even more. Now The DIspatch is claiming that Smith intends to try and bury Andrulis' rehiring in the hubbub surrounding OSU/Meatchicken, a pretty damning accusation.

Smith isn't returning phone calls on this one either.

It's like somebody locked the doors and cut off the phones at CCS. At one point Smith was so pmnipresent that you got tired of it. He was quoted twice a week by Chris Bergin. Crewboy's columns were replete with Smithisms.

Where is he now?

If no decision has been made, why not say so? If it has, why not make an announcement? If you don't want to say either, then how about some PR speak nonsense like: how "We're doing a complete top-to-bottom evaluation of the organization, and until it's entirely complete we're not going to discuss it. We know our fans want answers, and so do we, but we all have to be a little patient for the moment. We just don't want to say anything at this time"

Is this so hard?

Is Jim Smith hiding in the locker room waiting for the reporters to leave, like Greg Andrulis?

Or is the point here really that he's being made to look like a weasel by Clark Hunt and John Wagner at Hunt Sports? Are THEY the ones who have called for this complete blackout on comment?

One thing for sure - this is amatuerish and insulting to the fans.

So what's your take? I honestly can't figure it out:

2. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    One issue that Jim Smith (and HSG) would have to think about is Greg's health care coverage. Most of us are lucky enough (and I do mean lucky) not to have a concern about job changes and being accepted into a new organizations healthcare plan; however, most plans exclude pre-existing conditions when you join. Greg's son has a condition (I can't remember the diagnosis) that is potentially life threatening and VERY expensive to treat. I ashamed I can't remember the condition and yet I can (usually) remember JC's thrills and foibles, but does there remain a significant personal financial issue for the Andrulis family/JSmith/HSG to resolve.

My personal impression of HSG and Lamar (no direct discussion) is that Lamar is the type of man who would never dump Greg without ensuring his family and son would have complete coverage. Lamar, myself, and probably many here would find this insurance issue one of the priorities to any coaching change and would not publicly announce that concern in defference to the Andrulis family's privacy.

Anyone have any insight into MLS's/Crew healthcare coverage and able to recollect what Greg's son (and family by proxy) is dealing with? I have a tendency to get self absorbed and am embarassed to admit that I completely forgot about this issue.

3. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh for God's sake, Raoul, quit castigating yourself for not recalling that his kid has Juvenile Diabetes. It hardly makes you reprehensible. Jeez.

As for the rest, there are a bunch of solutions. Give him another job in the HSG organization, for example.

4. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the Chefs!!!

----That's great, but who are the Chefs?
    --Great Googily Moogily!

5. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Exactly my point - perhaps there should be other solutions within MLS or the Nats or HSG to avoid the insurance issue. My point is perhaps we (I)need to be more appreciative of the complexities involved in resolving the total solution. I think Jim Smith moves on and HSG might want to announce a new staff sequentially. IMO, waiting a month to correctly resolve a problem is not a big deal when (if) you're attempting to resolve a systematic restructuring.

6. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Bill, I was about to vote but didn't see my choice up there. Where is "All of the above"?

7. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Where can someone get ahold of Lamar Hunt.

8. TomB

TomB Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Columbus, Ohio USA
    He was at the Kansas City Chiefs football game today.

9. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Home: 911-6534
    Office: 911-5736

10. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Hey! I tried and only got an answering machine....

11. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got word that Hunt Sports has set up a special "Crew fan feedback line". They're asking that anyone with input on the team, coaching or management call toll free:

1 800-EAT-SH!T

12. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    You got an answering machine?!? I got some annoying-as-hell lady who kept badgering me, asking me what was wrong and where I lived. I told her my problems with the Crew, but she didn't seem interested. Nice customer service!

13. 3stripe

3stripe Member

Indy Eleven
    Oct 14, 2001
    Brickyard Battalion
    I left Jim Smith a message a few weeks back and never got a reply either.

I also tried reaching Greg through the voicemail address book. Unfortunately, after spelling A-N-D-R-U-L-I-S several times to no avail, I had to leave messages for strangers. I felt bad, but maybe they at least passed on my message.

14. CrewSchmack

CrewSchmack Member

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Mar 3, 1999
    Delaware, OH
    Andrulis is very lucky he lives in Montgomory County. They don't have their GIS system setup yet so that you lot could find out where he lives.

Smith on the other hand is very lucky that his name is so freaking common....since Franklin, Delaware, Madison, Union and Fairfield counties do have their GIS systems up and running.

15. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Liar - He said that there would be a top to bottom evaluation of this team to be done after the season and any decision would be made then. This decision was made well before yesterday. Lying sack of *#*#*#*#.

Fool - To think either (a) that this is a good decision or (b) that the fans don't see through his lying facade.

Coward - He goes into hiding for weeks. He doesn't return emails or phone calls. He then issues a piece of *#*#*#*# press release instead of holding an actual press conference. The man has no spine. He is a joke. A complete and total joke.