Jill Ellis is out. Who's coming in? New GM, New Coach

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by TimB4Last, Jul 30, 2019.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    https://equalizersoccer.com/2019/07...-uswnt-coach-world-cup-champion-victory-tour/

"Who will be the next coach of the U.S. women’s national team is yet unclear. The new general manager of the team will have hiring and firing power. That GM – a new role which was announced last year and was initially supposed to be filled in early 2019 – is expected to be named soon, with sources saying that the person for the role has already been selected."

kolabear repped this.
  2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Can we guess who has been lined up as the long-promised GM?

Can we guess what having that particular GM would imply in terms of selecting a new head coach?

3. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    i am surprised that this is happening between the WWC and the Olympics and I had actually hopped that Ellis would try for three. However I understand the motivations on both sides as well as wanting to end on a high note.

As far as the successor to Ellis goes I have very very little confidence that US Soccer has the ability to make a good choice. Just look at the fiasco of the process on the men's side.

This does put a bit of a damper on the victory tour as it moves the focus away from the team to the process of getting a replacement in place in time for the Olympics.

I do wonder if the pool for prospects is large and if there are any surprises in the works.

At least this means that the next few months will not be boring.

4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Could Ellis herself be the new GM? What does it mean that Tony Gustavsson left (when he left)? Was he told Ellis was leaving and he would not be her successor?

5. Tracer

Tracer Member

Apr 22, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I saw that Tony G. was leaving, I thought that meant Ellis was not staying as HC. I have always thought Ellis had an inside track on the GM position.

TimB4Last repped this.
  6. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Where is Tony going? When did he leave?
    I'm assuming he wants a head coaching job somewhere...?

TimB4Last repped this.
  7. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    #7 BrooklynSoccer, Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    Ellis is not the new GM, per equalizer
    "U.S. Soccer said on Tuesday that the GM hire “is imminent.” Ellis will not be the next general manager, per sources familiar with the process."

Does this mean there is no longer a board of consultants, which Mia Hamm was on? I felt comfort with people close to the program, who are rational people with strong connections to the team were giving their input.

TimB4Last repped this.
  8. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ellis has indicated she has no interest in GM. Going to stay on as an Ambassador for USSF

TimB4Last repped this.
  9. Tracer

Tracer Member

Apr 22, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A Swedish newspaper reported that Tony was leaving and that he did not want to say what his next position would be. Sorry, I don't have the newspaper name off the top of my head.

10. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok coach but I think the team won more on their pure talent than her coaching skills. Certainly the team liked playing for her and that is important. But he use of younger players at the recent WC was abysmal.

11. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    My guess is the head coach of an up and coming European team. Italy? Purely speculation on where I'd like to see him end up.

12. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    Tony could still be a candidate for the USWNT once the GM is hired. Maybe he's keeping his options open.

13. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN

She knew she was stepping down and sold out for the win. Can you blame her? What does developing younger players in a WC do for her? WC's are meant to be won not to develop.

14. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    meyers and beamish repped this.
  15. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My picks are either Laura Harvey or Vlatko Andonovski

Kevin625 repped this.
  16. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Wouldn't be surprised to see the next coach selected being one of the top coaches from the NWSL.

17. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    If the money is good enough, maybe he is headed to Brazil to hook up with Pia who hired him for USWNT.

JanBalk repped this.
  18. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Berhalter sister, that's funny and scary. WNT is the opposite of MNT, they will get their pick of the litter for elite women's coaches available.

19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Snow

20. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    ??? he surely doesn’t want to be an assistant again???

21. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I have to think the next coach will be a woman. Call it politically correct, if you want, but I'll be shocked if the pick isn't a woman. I'm glad that Ellis is not going to be the GM as that would have been a mistake as, IMO, no new coach would want the previous and very successful coach looking over her shoulder. I could see Harvey getting the job if she wanted it.

22. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, from what I've observed over the last few years, it seems to me and IMO, they have been grooming B.J. Snow.

I saw him in Chicago at the Red Stars vs. NC Courage game a week ago with his wife Lindsay Tarpley. I'm not sure if that's the direction USSF will go, but will not surprise me if he is named USWNT Head Coach now or in the future.

CoachJon repped this.
  23. McSkillz

McSkillz Member+

ANGEL CITY FC, UCLA BRUINS
    United States
    Nov 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amanda Cromwell, Paul Riley, Laura Harvey, Andonovski... anyone interested from overseas? Sylvia Neid want to get back into coaching a Nat'l team? Would Ariane Hingst be too young and inexperienced to try out for the assitant coaching job? Not sure if she would want to leave Wolfsburg. She seems to know and like the US mentality from her analysis the last two WWCs.

I'm rolling the dice and saying Laura Harvey, anyone else?

24. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I personally would like to see Vlatko Andonovski get the job. He gets the game on the women's side, players like him and I think he would get the support of all the National Team players.

25. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    disagree.

if you have good, older, experienced players, throw them over the side only as they stop winning for you any more.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-football-coach-go-after-two-world-cup-titles

“The factions that used to dominate the US women’s national team couldn’t develop because Ellis, willing to unceremoniously cut veterans and keen to throw young players into trials by fire, prevented them from doing so.“

didn’t like it when they originally hired her, but...

ellis’ job was not primarily to develop young players, it was to win the wwc.

she did.

twice.

in a row.

jackdoggy, jackiesdad, blissett and 7 others repped this.