Ji So-yun

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by REVS FAN 1, Aug 31, 2010.

1. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Female Footballer Ji So-yun to Begin Negotiations with U.S. Team

Football star Ji So-yun will start talks with the Boston Breakers of Women's Professional Soccer in the U.S., according to her management agency AT Sports.

"After reviewing the details of a proposal made by Boston, we will begin negotiations," said AT Sports, which recently signed the 19-year-old midfielder to a four-year contract.

What say you Andy??

I sure hope she doesn't follow you know who on twitter!!:p

2. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009
  3. Andy Crossley

Andy Crossley Member

Oct 23, 2007
    We picked up her WPS negotiating rights via the discovery process last month, simultaneously relinquishing our WPS negotiating rights to Japanese national team player Shinobu Ohno. We have had some very preliminary discussions and that is all.

4. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009
  5. zz0120

zz0120 New Member

Sep 1, 2010
    New England
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    I watched some of her games during the fifa u-20 WC Germany in July.
    The korean team was very impressive and her performance was brilliant!!
    Especially, her execution as a striker was phenomenal in her age and her soccer sense was excellent. If she joins the Breakers, that would be great.
    I am not sure how she can handle the both leagues if she plays in europe during the off season here....that is impossible. I guess the korean newspaper reporter made up his or her own story to give her an option. but I think it could be her last resort to make additional income if she wants....I hope not.

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It isn't impossible as several players have already played in WPS and then gone to Europe for (parts of) the offseason. Each league has its own rules regarding loans & such but they do occur.

7. zz0120

zz0120 New Member

Sep 1, 2010
    New England
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Thank you for your reply.
    Do you know who play in europe as a loan player during the WPS offseason?
    I am just curious how they do in terms of their physicality....there will be no fatigue when they are coming back to WPS in March?
    Mens' league in europe usually spend about 9 months.
    Let's say that WPS player spend her 7 month here and can go to europe as a loan player. How long she can stay there playing? maybe maximum 4 to 5 month there?
    It is possible by the rule and by her own will, but still I doubt how she can digest all that.
    what would you think about that loan option as a female player?

8. zz0120

zz0120 New Member

Sep 1, 2010
    New England
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Hi, Andy.

I have some questions about WPS rules for internationals draft.

what is the "discovery process"?
    and what is the procedure to get the negotiation rights for internationals?

and where can I find or get the WPS rule book so that I can read about?

9. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is true that not many players went to another league in the off-season. Off the top of my head here's a partial list. Bompastor & Abily played for PSG (I think) in France. Jen Nobis of the Breakers went to Sweden on loan last year. Two Freedom players trained in Japan (though they did not play in official games). Becky Sauerbrun of the Freedom played in Norway. 3-4 folks went to Australia. Several Brazilians played in Brazil.

I think going on loan in the offseason is particularly helpful for players that didn't see much game time in WPS play. I think Lohman (now of Philly formerly of WAS) is a prime example of someone who didn't see much time in 2009 but after really focusing and training in Japan in the offseason has stepped up this season.

10. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boston Breakers Eye U-20 Star Ji So-Yun, Acquire Negotiating Rights
    by Jenna Pel

From a player standpoint, Ji So-Yun’s potential cannot be overstated. She’s a natural goal-scorer and can convert chances from anywhere: free kicks, outside the box, inside the box, on the counterattack, you name it.

She’s also got extraordinary close control which enables her to beat more physically dominant defenders with pace. Her ability on the ball provides an additional weapon in her arsenal: she pulls defenders with her and thus creates space for her teammates. South Korea’s formation was tailored around Ji. She was given a “free role” although she typically stayed in a central position and either ran at defenders with speed or initiated triangular passing movements with her teammates.