Jhon Cordoba news & comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by pibe10, Jul 3, 2012.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I know this is a joke but...

...Cucho is not a pure #9 but did play it for Reyes at the Sub 20 level.

He is better at the Left striker position within current tactics from what I have seen but has a better chance of playing the Right striker position which seems to be up for grabs right now.

2. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I think Falcao is very unlikely to play big minutes for us, Duvan is the clear number one for me but he's 29 and Morelos is 23. It almost never goes to plan in WCQ and world cups that your striker is always available, and even then strikers you bring off the bench are relied on to get late goals that are very important and worth a lot of points. Morelos is very good already and has a skillset at that age that is difficult to come by, I don't see anyone else of the younger players who is better positioned to be the future for us in that position. I know a lot of people don't see it but the guy is a real talent and I think CQ has already noticed it. Cordoba is good and plays a role I just don't see him being a big impact player, Morelos I think could be very valuable already in the next 4 year cycle if we use him properly.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Morelos has talent but each time given a chance has not shown much other than maybe the Peru match.

Never underestimate a guy working his tail off who has never been given a chance before.
    Cordoba has worked on his game so darn hard the last few seasons and he finally has a manager who knows how to utilize his talents and make it the focal point of the team's attack at club level. He is reaping the rewards of his hard work with one of the best seasons a target man can have at a lower level team.

I think that can also be translated to the National team level with the style of play we now have and we need guys who are hungry to show what they can do.
    I think the recipe for him to be successful is there. He just needs a chance to show what he can do.

4. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    #604 villus, Jun 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    Cordoba has had a bunch of years in the Bundesliga and his goal scoring totals are not impressive except for this year. If you peel back the numbers he looks a lot more like a guy who is above the mean and likely to regress back then someone who is showing his true form. His xG is 7.68 and his xA is 1.9 over 1768 minutes. He has 12 goals, meaning he's over expectation by about 4.32 goals. Those xG and xA numbers are not very impressive for the focal point of an attack, and judging on his past performance xG and xA wise he looks more likely to be a guy that's going to regress back to the mean then a world beater who's emerging.

With Duvan for example when he was at Sampdoria and leading up to his absolute break out at Atalanta his xG and xA were really good, and eventually his actual production caught up to those numbers but the signs were there before hand. xG and xA are much more predictive of a player then the actual stats for a given season, goals and assists have a ton of variance.

Morelos just for the Europa League which is a small sample but solid competition so far his xG is 0.53/90 and 0.09/90 xA compared to Cordoba who is 0.39 xG and 0.1 xA. His xA needs to come up but could is likely due to the way they play as well lots of crosses into the box from wide and not really wide forwards. He's overperforming as well with 6 goals in 8 games. Morelos is also a shot monster which is usually a good sign for a 9 long term, he can get off shots on his own and create shot opportunities without relying heavily on service.

5. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Duvan didn't go to Sampdoria until he was 26, which coincides with Cordoba's age during his best season last year.

Looking also at Borre, who's having his best season ever, you notice that trend. It takes time for many strikers, especially physically gifted ones, to start becoming goleadores.

That said, Duvan is obviously a much bigger goal threat than Cordoba is, or probably will be. Credit must be given, however, to what Cordoba has done given the clubs he's played for. He's always played on teams that struggle to possess the ball. His skill set with back to gol, which Homie keeps referring to, is what gives him value. And, while Morelos will probably be a much more complete striker, Cordoba fits in to the style Quieroz has us playing.

sidspaceman repped this.
  6. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Yeah Duvan was a late bloomer and I agree you do tend to see that with forwards. Cordoba seems to be a poor mans Duvan and has a similar late bloom going on I think he'll be useful. Here's a graphic comparing their game, Duvan has the benefit of the Atalanta years boosting a lot of that. I think for us we want and should possess the ball a lot and I think Morelos fits that better as well as Duvan, but all 3 seem like they're fine playing without the ball and they all press well defending from the front.
    Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 1.14.19 PM.png

7. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Duvan went to a much bigger team and wasn’t given a shot.

but until he starts banging them in yellow then Falcao is still the guy.

issue for Falcao (who is not yet a zombie ) is the formation

in a 4-3-3 with fast wingers you basically Mis using him. The coach has yet to have a healthy James or Quintero. Will the formation be the same?

8. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Be serious, in the last 7 official matches for Colombia Falcao has one goal against Poland and is basically MIA except for goals, Duvan has 2 goals in his last 3 and Falcao is 34. Falcao hasn't been banging them in for us for a few years and he offers nothing outside of goals. Falcao ain't starting over Duvan any more.

What much bigger team did he go to and wasn't given a shot?

Azucarero repped this.
  9. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    I think he means Napoli.

Agreed with all your points, except the last. I wouldn't be surprised to see Falcao start the next matches, even thought I don't prefer it.

10. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Ya its ridiculous he left Napoli in 2015 and they had peak Higuain ahead of him and he still had 6 goals in 600 minutes, he'd start at Napoli at a heart beat last two years and Atalanta is currently in the Quarters of the Champions league and ahead of Napoli in Serie A. Duvan would walk into a lot of big clubs if he wanted to. If Quiroz starts Falcao over Duvan in in WCQ all things being equal he should be fired, it was painfully obvious last summer and Falcao is getting older and slower.

sidspaceman repped this.
  11. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Got a gol but his team looks like it will loose

HomietheClown repped this.
  12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Another goal for Cordoba.

13. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #614 HomietheClown, Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    Could have had more opportunities for goals if he were allowed to take penalties.

His teammates have missed a few.

That being said, I am nor sure how good he is at taking penalties so I can't say for sure he would have scored more goals.

15. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah, but he's a workman type more than a feature striker. Not sure he'd flash in an nt setting.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As a role- player off the bench and a Duvan understudy if he is injured/suspended I think he can fill in nicely.
    And he has had a very good season against the top of the line German competition this season. And last season in the 2nd division also scored a bunch of goals to gain confidence.
    When someone is as hot as him he needs to at least be given a chance in the NT training camp to see what he can offer.
    No one is saying he is going to be a guaranteed super star at World Cup. All I am saying along with a few others around here is that he has earned his chance to show Queiroz what he has to offer at a #9. Now it is up to the head honcho to see if he wants to call him up or not.

sidspaceman and villus repped this.
  17. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    HomietheClown repped this.
  18. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Looks like Raul Jiminez might get a move to another club.

19. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Those moves would be more risky, he's thrived at Koln, Sheffield and Wolves are somewhat risky moves. Both coaches do not rotate much and play very specific systems, if you adapt and do well and the coach likes you you'll play non stop, if you don't you'll barely ever play. Higher risk moves to a brand new country as well, I think there's plenty of chance he would be successful but we know he's nailed on and thriving at Koln.

pepinointer and J-Mezzy repped this.
  20. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't think is risky. I feel he has moved on passed Koln, time for him to blossom.

21. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    well it’s qualifier time. He has his shot to make the NT. Go to a bigger league or team and get noticed but potentially eat bench killing your NT prospects. Or stay where you are the star and hope for another top season so the Nt coach has no choice but to call you?

duvan and Muriel are locks on the roster

Borre, Córdoba want to get in and have to knock out Morelos(if he goes to a bigger league will be tough), Falcao and Roger.

then you have Cucho and Suarez who will be in 1st divison next season

22. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This have been the best season of Corodba in first division.....and 14 goals..........not like a super amount.......he still have a lot to prove....

He is ok in Koln...and im not sure how easy he will be start in a bigger team.....

J-Mezzy repped this.
  23. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I say he is about where he belongs. We all want our players to play in big leagues and clubs but he to me is not a big club player.

24. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Yeah I'm not sure he's a lock to succeed in tougher leagues/teams, he definitely can but its a risk for sure

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The manager loves him, his teammates love him, the fans love him.
    They are trying to extend his contract beyond the Summer of 2021. But he rejected the latest offer.
    If he does move on I hope it is to a better team in Germany.