Jhon Cordoba news & comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by pibe10, Jul 3, 2012.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yup.
    As I said in another thread Cordoba is one of the hottest #9s on the planet this season.
    And if it wasn't for the Norwegian on Dortmund could be considered the best #9 in Germany the last 7 months or so.
    Even better than Lewa at Bayern in my opinion.

2. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Unbelievable

Hope it isn’t a serious injury.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Latest update is :
    "Cordoba limped off midway through the first half of Monday's game after scoring the opener. Fortunately for Köln, his injury doesn't appear to be serious.

"He took a knock. We hope that he will be fit again for the game against Augsburg. On Wednesday, we have the day off. Whether or not he'll be back on Thursday, we will see," said Heldt.
    https://bulinews.com/news/5313/fc-köln-boss-offers-injury-update-mark-uth-and-jhon-cordoba
    :thumbsup:

Azucarero and sidspaceman repped this.
  4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Seems like he is expected to play today. Not sure if he will start though.

The match is at noon EST on FS1 in English and Fox Deportes in Spanish.

5. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Starting

HomietheClown repped this.
  6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Not many opportunities but he is hustling out there and sliding all over the place to get possession.

Very good to see after the injury scare last week.

7. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    it’s on fox Deportes if anyone is interested.

not much to do.

Córdoba, Zapata and Davison like to bulldoze people. Can see a ref totally fking us against Argentina or Brazil if they do their shoulder charge with Neymar or Messi flying 200 yards and rolling 800 more.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Cordoba is out.

Got a little nicked up again today once again but it does not look too serious.

sidspaceman repped this.
  9. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    His day is done. Looks like he might of hurt his ankle

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    His replacement scored a goal.

sidspaceman repped this.
  11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    But that defense is crappy yet again.

1-1

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    His team kept the point on the road and is a step closer to avoiding relegation.

I hope he moves on after the season is over to a better Club though who needs a #9. Maybe Dortmund if they cash in on HAaland.

But more thank likely Koln may just pony up the cash to keep him around longer.

Let's see how it all plays out.

13. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    He needs to keep his cool, he gets frustrated and remonstrates and yells at the ref non stop. The ref didn't give him some calls he should get but he loses his cool very easily and is going to get cards for no reason. Its frustrating having so many players who can't keep their cool. Didn't really do much, but he battles constantly.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It does seem to help that the Refs in Germany seem to be patient with his attitude and petulance.

That said, I think these are more isolated incidents you are focusing on. Before Corona and these last few set of matches he did not seem to be as vocal towards the refs.

Someone like Morelos on the on the other hand I am more concerned about because he always seems to be angry at the refs or at his opposing players who physically and mentally torment him.

15. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    He's done it in multiple games when he was frustrated when things weren't going his way, IDK if he does it non stop but its not a good sign. Same thing with Morelos, he seems a lot worse but for these guys its not just gonna lead to cards and refs not giving you calls but it also gives your opponent a boost when he knows he can get in your head and you show your frustration. With Morelos he seems like he has the ability to create more for himself, dribbles a bit better and when the team isn't doing great he can get on the ball and change the game, unfortunately Cordoba is more traditional 9 who really relies heavily on service and when its not coming it seems to get to him.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The traditional type of 9 seems to be exactly what Queiroz favors within his tactics according to Iranian and Portuguese fans I have talked to.
    But we shall see. Morelos has been given a bunch of chances and has pretty much looked average at the Senior team level.
    IT is time to see what Cordoba can do in my opinion. Especially since week in and week out he is playing against better competition for the most part.
    (But Morelos has the advantage of training within aforementioned tactics and familiarity of what the manager wants so hopefully he improves if he is called up instead.)

17. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I think Cordoba should get a chance, but watching them both play multiple times Morelos is just a lot better player imo. Much better on the ball, better touch, better playing with his back to goal and his ceiling is a lot higher. Morelos just offers a ton in games, Cordoba is good but Duvan and Morelos offer more for the position imo while still covering the same skillset that Cordoba offers. Duvan for me clear #1, I'd put Morelos after that then if we want a pure 9 its Cordoba. If Falcao is gonna be involved I'd imagine Corboda might be limited in his chances.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #593 HomietheClown, Jun 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    From what I have seen the last 7 months Cordoba can help us win Now. Morelos is of course the better prospect at his age. with aforementioned skills and with his ceiling but I think now we need a player who can bash with the most physical of CBs in CONMEBOL, has good speed and can pass the ball decently when need be. At Koln he has teammates who seem mystified that almost every time there is a long ball he is the one who always gets it and keeps it away from opposing CBs clashing towards him.

Morelos maybe good at many things but I have never heard the same praise about long ball trapping and hold up play with his back to goal.
    And a lot of that may be to the plain and simple fact Morelos is only what 5'9-5'10??? Cordoba gives us a 6'2 Target who can run like the wind and have occasional moments of good touch and passing ability. The wingers can play off of him in a better transitional game just as the beautiful counters that are usually started by his hold up play at Koln.
    Queiroz had Morelos play along side a purer Target man like Zapata when he first debuted so maybe we could see both these guys play at the same time. I would not mind that at all.
    But in the current setup I think Cordoba is best fit to replace Duvan like-for-like.

sidspaceman, Azucarero and J-Mezzy repped this.
  19. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Don't let Morelos size fool you, he's really good holding off CB's with his back to goal and can turn and dribble as well which Cordoba can't really do. Cordoba is bigger then Morelos but Morelos hold up play is just a lot better then Cordoba, better passer, better dribbler, better holding off defenders and he's exceptional at drawing fouls in positions that aren't dangerous. Cordoba from a size and speed profile fits better with Duvan yes, but Morelos is a better fit in terms of link up play and a player able to come deep and combine or drift wide to open up space, they're both really versatile, Cordoba is better in the air I'll give him that. Trust me the guy nicknamed "el buffalo" can bash CB's, and since the return of the Bundesliga I've seen multiple games where Cordoba is getting beat out by CB's and ends up disappearing not something I've ever seen from Morelos who in the Europa League is always getting on the ball and getting his team up the field. Not to say Cordoba can't do that, but I think Morelos is exceptional outside of goals and assists, which he's actually quite good at too.

kromekote repped this.
  20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Cordoba is actually faster than Duvan which can help us late in matches.
    Can you imagine CBs battling it out with Duvan and then saying man I am glad this beast is coming out of the game and is being substituted...
    ...only to have a bigger and faster Sub come in and mess with them physically late in games?

No CB on earth wants to face a duo like that.

And I think those attributes will be more beneficial for us going forward within the style Queiroz wants us to play.
    But we shall see. Morelos does have the advantage as I mentioned before being called up and knowing what is expected of him.
    That said, he has also been ignored a few times due to his hot temper reputation so it is no guarantee he will even be on a roster let alone be the man we depend on at target striker.

sidspaceman repped this.
  21. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I think having all 3 of them is a good mix and we're lucky to have options, I think having all 3 of them be good and physical and always battling is great, if we can get our wide forwards firing they should be put in great positions by all 3 of these 9's since they're all unselfish and can give CB's fits. Combining quality unselfish 9's with guys like James and Quintero with wide forwards who can run in behind is a recipe for success, lots of space with great long range passers and 9's who pull CB's all over the place should be a dream for a guy like Muriel (cuadrado too if he played direct for us).

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I hope James and JuanFer can be out there for us but I am not holding my breath on that happening any time soon.

Speaking of JuanFer though Cordoba has recently been interviewed mentioning his long lasting relationship with JuanFer going back not only to the Sub 20 days when they really showed good chemistry but even before that in the Envigado academy.
    So yet another reason why I want to see Cordoba out there if he and JuanFer ever gets a chance. The chemistry and rapport may be beautiful to watch again.

sidspaceman repped this.
  23. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You guys going so in depth about 2 guys that will likely never be staples on the NT or move the needle for us.

Whichever of the 2 we decide for, will be bench warmers and not have much impact

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I disagree.
    With Falcao being old and injury prone and Duvan still not looking the same after his injury against Chile we may have one or both of these players being key factors in our qualifying and Copa America matches at #9.
    And do not get me started on the other player we have seen at that position Santos Borre. ;)

25. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    What about the almighty Cucho?