Jets get new stadium

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by MetroGD, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Bilbao2Brooklyn

Jun 20, 2001
    Brooklyn,U.S.A.
    I can explain it easily for you.
    Metros and the MLS need SSS to insure their longterm existence, and the increase of revenue means league survival, which is in the Fan's best interest. So for the Metros to get a stadium it is important for their fans.
    For the Jets and Uber-rich NFL, they do not need more revenue stream to survive. They have the money, with the Jets new stadium they will probably raise prices(I grant it may not happen, but I wont hold my breath) and like I said, most likely create no area for tailgate. I do not see the benefit, don't try to sell me that it will be better for the fan except for some small things.

On your remark about the tavern being to civilized, perhaps yes , but if I now need to overspend for my food beverages you can now further see how the stadium change hurts fans, now my tailgating costs go through the roof and I don't have the choice to either goto a tavern or to taligate, my choice is eliminated, and more importantly it loses the BBQ-party-let off some steam feel w/ friends that the tailgate is.

2. KLECKO73

KLECKO73 New Member

Jan 5, 2002
    GARDEN STATE
    As a Jets fan, I'm more interested in having a home stadium than tailgating. The Jets were treated worse at Shea stadium than any pro sports team ever. Home games were limited in Sept. and Oct. to accomodate the Mets even though it was a city facility. And it's kind of embarrasing playing in @#$#%! stadium. As for soccer.....IMO a SSS would be better for an MLS team than sharing a stadium with the Jets.

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Most NFL fans care more about the tailgate then the game..... Not all... but most.... from what I have seen going to a Giants game in the past at least.....

4. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/14/arts/design/14OLYM.html

[​IMG]

NYC2012: Olympic Opportunities," now at the Center for Architecture in Greenwich Village, is a small show, but it presages huge architectural ambitions for New York City. The bid to make the city the home of the Olympics in 2012 may seem like a pipe dream, but detailed plans are well under way for some 25 sites spanning all five buroughs, New Jersey and Nassau County.

The projected new construction budget, the bulk of which will be privately financed, is in excess of $3 billion, said Daniel L. Doctoroff, deputy mayor for economic development and rebuilding and the founder of NYC2012, the group leading New York's bid to be host. "We hope to use the process of bidding for, and hopefully hosting, the Olympics as a way to showcase New York as a center of excellence and path-breaking developments in design," Mr. Doctoroff said.

5. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    I have a question:
    Why are the Jets A-holes because they don't want soccer in their supposed new home?? Last I read, Woody Johnson and the sponsors/friends of the Jets are putting up mucho mucho $$$ to put this place up. I think they have a right to decide what they want and don't want in their stadium. Hell, all the convention expo money they are going to rake in (in conjunction with the Javitts Center across the street), they can live on NFL, concert and expo scratch

Once Metro gets their own stadium, this whole thing will be moot.

6. carpediem175

carpediem175 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Pompton Plains , NJ
    We as a league have to get away from playing in football stadiums anyway. The fields are usually too small which is why alot of MLS games wind up looking like pinball machines, too compact. The Home Depot Center should be the benchmark for the rest of the league. The game is much more opened up and it gives the players a chance to actually play a beautiful game.

7. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    A New York franchise, please

No, it won't. If this gets built, MLS will want a New York expansion club. The Jets/Olympic Stadium has never been about the MetroStars.

8. Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta Member

Oct 16, 2001
    Long Island
    Re: A New York franchise, please

If the Harrison stadium gets built, I can't see MLS putting a NYC expansion team 5 miles away in the new Jets' stadium. Queens/Brooklyn maybe, but not the westside of Manhattan.

9. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'll answer your question with a question. The Jets hope to justify this statium, at least to themselves, with some major help from the Olympics. So what's the highest-revenue sporting event at the Olympics?

I don't know if it makes 'em 'a-holes' but not factoring soccer dimensions into the stadium (especially since a World Cup not long after 2012 is a real possibility) would make 'em real dumb.

(As for MLS there, yeah, it's pretty farfetched, though a hypothetical expansion team might play there a season on their way to a started but not finished stadium somehwere else in NYC some day. And you could book it for a once-or-twice-a-year derby match).

10. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    The Jets are A-holes to begin with, with or without a stadium. How does it feel to play in a Stadium named after your crosstown rival BTW?

11. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably about like playing in a Stadium named after a team from another sport, that has a lot more money, and lets you play there at its leisure.

=/ bad.

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    [​IMG]

Seems some Jets fans ain;t happy bout the new stadium......

http://hometown.aol.com/baumerjet/myhomepage/stadium2.html

"Ticket Prices: By the time the Jets move into their new Manhattan home, the value of an individual game day ticket will be between $75-$100.00 based on the increase value and tier rating. However, it will not end at just an increase in ticket costs. A new hurdle will emerge onto the scene – that of a PERSONAL SEAT LICENSE or PSL. PSL’s could cost the average season ticket holder between $1,000 -$5,000.00 per individual seat!"

"Tailgating: What has become a mainstay, if not required portion of the game day ritual could see its demise. With the Parking limited underground, No grills of any type will be allowed at the new facility. The city of New York prohibits the use of OPEN CONTAINERS OF ALCOHOL or any type of BARBEQUING on city streets. That is, unless they have the proper legal permits for the day of the event. Should you be caught Barbequing on a side street without a permit, you could either be fined up to $5,000.00, given jail time or both! One can only imagine what the fine is for drunk & disorderly conduct. Tailgaters, who for years added a party atmosphere to the parking lots of both Shea & Giants stadiums, will simply cease to exist!"

13. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    R.I.P. Tailgaters

There is a God after all!

Go to a ####ing bar like adults do. Do your boozing in a "civilized" atmosphere. Then take the train home so you don't kill anyone with your car.

This will be the glory of a Jets Stadium in Midtown.

It will be a joy to watch NeoCosmos, or Empire FC, or whoever play the beautiful game there.

14. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Re: R.I.P. Tailgaters

The only FC that will play at the new stadium is that of the Jets FC.....

15. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is one, its called lot 16A. Just byob.

16. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Re: Re: Jets get new stadium

BYOB my ass. I'm getting served!

17. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Jets get new stadium

Son, I dont' think you're old enough to get served.

18. goosegg

goosegg New Member

Jul 31, 2002
    NYC
    Let them build the Stadium at Flushing Meadows Park. Tear down the stupid Tension Ring structure and the Two Towers and build it there with a big fat sign that says FKNYC. The olympics will be happy, the immigrants will be happy, and all the babies that complain about the west side will be happy. You'll get more traffic, but hey you get that from the mets & tennis anyway, and that's why you have a radio and ac in your car to keep you busy while you sit in traffic. Problem solved