Jesus coming soon?

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by musicl, Feb 7, 2007.

1. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    The verses below all say that something was going to happen soon. 2000 years later it seems like nothing has come about (maybe it has). Is there away around these verses?

"Yes I am coming soon!" Rev 22:20

"The Lord is at hand." Philippians 4:5

"Behold, I come quickly." Revelation 3:11

"For yet a little while, and he that shall come will come, and will not tarry." Hebrews 10:37

"The time is at hand." Revelation 1:3

"But the end of all things is at hand." 1 Peter 4:7

"Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom." Matthew16:28

"But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God." Luke 9:27

"Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation." Matthew 23:36

"Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled." Matthew 24:34

"Nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven." Matthew 26:64

"Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power." Mark 9:1

"Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done." Mark 13:30

"And ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven." Mark 14:62

"Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled." Luke 21:32
    "Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee?" John 21:22

"Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you." 1 Peter 1:20

"Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son...." Hebrews 1:2

"Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord." 1 Thessalonians 4:17

"The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass. Revelation 1:1

"Surely I come quickly." Revelation 22:20

"For the coming of the Lord draweth nigh." James 5:8

2. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at the bright side. If 2000 years is a short time to God, the human race won't destroy itself for a long time to come.

3. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes it's hard not to believe that in order to survive the various wars going on - not to mention stopping an even larger calamity currently known as global warming - that some kind of Christ-like figure isn't going to have to arise to sort of lead the way. While I have great faith in humanity and the human spirit, sometimes I find myself thinking the world will need "an anointed one" - "the Christ" - to help us out of this mess. In this world of instant mass communication it wouldn't even seem very hard for someone to fit the bill. I don't know if it'll be the second coming of Jesus or some other version of the Messiah, but the world as we know it can't go on with nuclear power the hole card of every yahoo or nation that thinks it can bluff its way through a holocaust, and if the environment truly is going to collapse around us, I mean, what else could be more important than that to humanity as a whole? While I believe that people as a whole can become more "Christ-like" and carry these burdens ultimately towards some kind of solution, I'm still not convinced that the world doesn't need one person - man or woman - who shall help lead and guide the way.

I guess we'll see.

4. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    FlashMan if someone like that turns up Christians will think its their Anti Christ even if the person is actually Jesus.

5. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure I really care what certain Christians - particularly their leaders - have to say on the matter. Many of them seemed to have given up their position of moral authority a long time ago. To heal man (& woman), you have to heal the fall of man from the world (the earth & the universe), and you have to heal the fall of man from himself, from his state as Adam (or Eve). I think it can be done and whoever does it, is going to get my vote - as it were - no matter how it fits into certain Christians' divine plan or their subjective biblical worldview.

6. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    And will there be a money shot?

What?!? SOMEBODY had to say it.

7. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Personnally i dont think anyone needed to ask that question to the previous question.

8. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Disagree, to some extent.

Human existence is one big paradox. The things that make us thrive are usually the things that hurt us and vice versa.

Like everything in the universe, the survival of the species seems to depend on some sort of balance. War is hell, but on the other hand destruction of one thing makes room for another.

So we'll probably see some sort of apocalyptic show pass by one day. And it will destroy society as we know it. But I doubt mankind will be totally extinct in the near future. Just (as we say in Dutch) a lesson wiser and an illusion poorer.

I don't think we need Jesus for that.

9. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Well, it's a good thing you didn't ask the question to your personal self alone, but instead posted it here to get others' opinions. See what new ideas you open yourself up to? That's a good thing.

10. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you want a serious discussion, you need to start the thread with a real question. What, exactly is the topic supposed to be?

11. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Um ok.

Im trying to say that the Bible says the end would happen soon. Look at the above Bible verses. But that end hasnt happened. So does this show to all that the Bible is not a Gods word as the predictions which would happen soon/at hand/quickly havent happened in the previous 2000 years?

2000 years later can not be considered soon.

To God there is no soon as he exists in eternity. Any amount of time is soon when prepared to eternity. 1 year, 2000 years, 1000000000000 years. So those verses apply to our time scale. And we know what soon means to us. And its not 2000 years+.

(But i may be wrong and what the Bible was talking about in those verses did happen soon.)

12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough.

Well, that's a theological question. And many of us are non-believers, so you've got a problem there.

IMHO, these verses demonstrate that early Christians certainly believed that the return of Christ was near. How much of these verses reflect the actual teachings of Jesus (who may or may not have thought of himself as a Jewish Messiah, or may have been interpreted as such by early Jewish Christians) I don't know.

Clearly, they were wrong. What does that mean? Well, you're a believer and I'm not. It means something very different to you than it does for me.

What do you think?

13. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't the earth a measly 6000 or so years old? If so, that would mean Christ would be "returning soon" for 1/3 of all history. Something doesn't add up.

14. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Not unless he's a Mexican guy delivering your pizza.

15. musicl

musicl New Member

Jan 9, 2004
    Yeah young earth creationers say its 6000 years old. But science says different.

One YEC theory goes:

God created the earth.
    2000 years later...Abramham
    2000 years later...Jesus dies on cross
    2000 years later...Jesus returns. Which would mean sometime around year 2030-2033.
    1000 years later...End of the world

Which means the earth will exist for 7000 years. 6000 years, then 1000 years of Gods rule. 6 days then Gods day. 2000 years of desolation. 2000 years of the torah. 2000 years of the Messiah. Then 1000 year of Gods rule on earth.

Gen 6:3 Lord said: "May spirit shall not strive with man forever, for he is indeed flesh; nevertheless his days shall be one hundred and twenty year". They say the 120 is jubilees. And 120 jubilees is 6000 years.

So from this theory soon/at hand/quickly means 2000 years. But 2000 years is not soon/at hand/quickly to man or God.

16. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, but you see Grasshoppa', a year to God is 10,000 of your years. So soon is defined by God, not by man.

Although man created god in his image, well, at least the literate men created god in their image, but god gave them the words and they wrote them down but god said that a human year doesn't have to be a god year, but if it's not then what does "soon" really mean and...

17. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Sitchin, the Annunuki should be showing up around the year 3400AD give or take a few. So I figure we have about another 1,000 years or so to continue slacking until we have to start looking busy.

18. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like me at review time.

19. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    A man said to God, 'Is it true oh God that for you one second is like a million years?

'Yes', God responded.

'So, oh God, for you one penny must be like a million dollars'

'Yes'.

'So, oh God, can you give me a penny?

'In a second'.

20. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    This is one of those fun little exercises that lead us no where. Jesus told his disciples that no one other than the Father knows the time. Hence, it does us no good to speculate...not that speculation isn't fun. ;)

Whether we are "raptured" off the face of the earth or die and our spirit goes to heaven immediately or not should have absolutely no impact on how we live our daily lives.

21. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Well sure, but that was before everyone got their own Swatches.

22. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    Nice.
    :)

23. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Eh, I'm Catholic, and everyone knows we don't memorize/pay attention to scripture verse by verse. ;)

24. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to add a biblical perspective to the thread's original question. This is a very good and important question to ask, and I thank the original poster for doing so. I think it is evident that it was a commonly held view in the first century church that Christ could return possibly within their lifetimes. The heart of the question is how can one reconcile the verses which suggest an imminent return with those which speak of signs yet to come in addition to the fact that 2,000 years have passed. Going by the rules of logic, there is no contradiction between verses which speak of a “soon” return of Christ with those verses which prophesy events that must precede Christ’s return (some events which are unlikely to have yet happened). However, as one surveys the New Testament on a whole, the guiding and overarching principle being taught is that no one knows (or can know) the time when Christ will return, but that it could happen at anytime, therefore be ready (Matt. 24:42-44, 50, 25:13; Mark 13:32-37; Luke 12:40; 1Cor. 16-22; 1 Thess. 5:2). One of the prophesied signs given by Christ in Matthew 24:14 (and Mark 13:10) is that the end will not come until after "this gospel of the kingdom is preached as a witness to all nations." I think that this prophesy is one that is unlikely to have been fulfilled as of today. However, due to the information age and the transportation revolution making this globe a little bit smaller, we are living in a day in which it is indeed closer to that particular fulfillment for the first time ever--especially when one is mindful of the many large and small missionary organizations working around the world. Am I suggesting Christ, from a biblical standpoint, is to return within our generation? I have no idea, and I will not suggest there is a greater probability that He will return tomorrow rather than another 2,000 years from now. It is possible but unlikely that the prophesied signs have yet to come to pass as of now, and therefore one cannot know with all certainty at any point in history whether all the signs have passed or not. Therefore, the verses which speak of an imminent return can coincide with those which speak of things yet to be fulfilled before the end of all things. I believe that God would have it that no one knows when, but desires all to be vigilant, if one believes.

25. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it is a question with both corporate and individual moment. if The Church -- meaning the group of persons who have already confessed Jesus as Lord and Savior -- does not practice "disciple-making" in anticipation of the parousia, then the bringing of the good news spoken of in Romans 10 will be left to only a tiny percentage of Christ's Body, which will, in turn, delay the parousia and "cause" the universe to continue to labor under the pangs of the Curse. ( it is quizzical, is it not? )

so there is an inherent responsibility upon us individually to become disciples so that we as a body can make disciples.

( i put "cause" in quotes, above, because i cannot believe that the Body of Christ controls God in an instrumental manner, but i think there is a mysterious synergy involved that i cannot quite parse out whereby the Body of Christ ( the Church -- not the Catholic Church ) participates in the unfolding of prophetic events )