Jesse Marsch out at Leeds, rumored for Southampton job

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by truefan420, Apr 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd add that with 30 teams with more on the way we already have the second division teams playing. We'd be adding third division teams. My wish is for US Open Cup to become a behemoth and those games would be the way the USL and below take it to the MLS teams.

2. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    #2052 KALM, Apr 2, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
    With Rodgers' exit at Leicester today, I think we can now officially say that the majority of Premier League clubs have replaced their manager this season.

In only 1 of those 11 cases did the manager leave because they got a more attractive offer from another club (Potter to Chelsea). In the other 10 cases, the manager was essentially sacked (either officially, or for all intents and purposes).

(If you count Erik ten Hag's introduction at Man United this offseason, then we're at 12 clubs with managerial changes, but I'm only counting changes that occurred after the season already started.)

My guess is that's probably a Premier League record. I just scanned through the past decade and didn't see a year with numbers matching that. In a lot of those seasons, only 5 or 6 clubs changed managers during the season.

FTGOTC, Deadtigers, xbhaskarx and 3 others repped this.
  3. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Add one more

I think Moyes isn’t safe either.

4. Kirium

Kirium Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Edmond, OK
    as mentioned above, the EPL managerial changes are crazy this year!

5. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I thought Potter would do a bit better than he did, but will also say that the Chelsea transfer strategy (both before and after hiring him) just lacked a true vision

Deadtigers and gomichigan24 repped this.
  6. redondos

redondos Member

AC Milan
    United States
    Nov 16, 2022
    I understand the money at stake makes people hyper reactionary, but the EPL is destroying itself.

FTGOTC, tomásbernal and Deadtigers repped this.
  7. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is sort of crazy that Mikel Arteta is now either the 3rd or 4th longest tenured coach in the EPL (depending on whether you count Thomas Frank's time in Championship or not).

FTGOTC and Deadtigers repped this.
  8. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leicester should hire Potter.

Deadtigers and gomichigan24 repped this.
  9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like thats literally where theyre looking next

Chelsea are looking at Naglesmann.

EPL is insanely cutthroat

FTGOTC, Deadtigers and gomichigan24 repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #2060 Clint Eastwood, Apr 3, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
    ..............nah, its all part of the soap opera.

The fans love it. If Klopp doesn't turn it around at Liverpool next year, he'll be gone too. And who the hell knows what's going on at Spurs.

There's just so much money at stake. It's a monster of England's own making. Not making the champions league is a disaster for the big clubs at one end. Being relegated is a disaster at the other. And this year there seem to be fewer clubs hanging out comfortably mid-table.

I remember Jesse lamenting that he had no time to actually implement his vision while in the Premier League. He was jealous that Thomas Frank got to install his system in the Championship and build, build, build. The premier league is "win now or else."

I saw this tweet about Liam Cooper of Leeds this weekend. He signed for them in 2014.

FTGOTC, LouisianaViking07/09 and Papin repped this.
  11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone think Jesse Marsch would still have the Leeds coaching job if he wasn't American?

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    No.....................

And I'm not convinced Javi Garcia can save them either.

Heck, I won't be surprised if they conspire to finish in last place.

13. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I wonder that. People deny their own biases so no way of knowing. But his nationality sure played into the rhetoric of Leeds fans who wanted him out n

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I think the English fans will just cannibalize anyone, for any reason, at any time. And it just so happens that being an American is reason enough.

FTGOTC and largegarlic repped this.
  15. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given that almost every Premier League manager who is bottom half of the table, plus two Chelsea manages, have all been fired, it's possible that such decisions, whether they're good decisions or bad decisions, are not being made based on what a few fans of the club say online.

16. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    If you read my post carefully you will see that I wasn’t saying that they were.

17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright he's been gone long enough he's becoming more of that enigma guy. Any Jesse Marsch as Chuck Norris)ish) type of hype?

18. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nagelsman has no experience in the Prem so not a short term solution but there is no short term for Chelsea anyway. They will not be in Europe next season. I guess thinking would be that Nagelsman would have enough games to judge who goes and who stays over the summer.

19. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Notably the xG differential in Garcia's five games in charge is minus-5.97. In Marsch's 20 games it was minus-3.14.

20. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Indeed. Since Mourinho left the first time in September of 2007, Chelsea has made 15 coaching changes. [Avram Grant, Luiz Felipe Scolari, Guus Hiddink, Carlo Ancelotti, Andre Villas-Boas, Roberto di Matteo, Rafael Benitez, Jose Mourinho #2, Guus Hiddink #2, Antonio Conte, Maurizio Sarri, Frank Lampard, Thomas Tuchel, Graham Potter.......and now in their next game Bruno Saltor.]

And you can do that kind of analysis for a lot of clubs. Its rare for a Pep or Klopp to hang on for a long time. And Klopp's seat might be getting warm.

So when people say "could Marsch have hung on at Leeds if he wasnt American?" The answer is no. They've had 11 coaches since 2014 for Heaven's sake. I don't care what his xG was.

If Leicester can fire Claudio Ranieri after winning the Premier League, then anybody can be fired in England. They just fired Brendan Rodgers who guided them to 5th place in 2019/2020. Won the FA Cup with the them following season. This is Leicester we're talking about.

I was looking at some Championship clubs to see if it's any better. The answer is no. Think about the teams bearing Yanks in that division. They've made mid-season coaching changes at Boro, Norwich, Luton, Huddersfield, West Brom, and Sunderland. Birmingham changed coach prior to the season.

TimB4Last repped this.
  21. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    When you look at all the sackings this year it seems like Jesse's was par for the course.

Anderson11, majspike, jaykoz3 and 3 others repped this.
  22. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    I think Marsch would have kept his job if he stayed around 13th-14th and 4-7 points above the relegation zone. He just wasn't getting it done.

23. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    The problem with that though is that the lowest placed team that is 4 or more points above the relegation zone right now is Chelsea in 11th place. So that seems to be an unusually difficult ask this season.

There were temporarily one or two other teams above that line when Marsch was fired, but they didn't stay there for long, because there is so little separating the teams in the bottom half of the table this season.

gomichigan24 and Magikfute repped this.
  24. Magikfute

Magikfute Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can’t recall ever seeing so many teams in danger of relegation this late in the season. There are 9 teams that are all nearly equally reasonable candidates for the drop.

25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    And they've almost all now changed managers.
    Moyes is gonna hang on I think. But maybe they'll make a change in the off-season.

If you'd told me at the beginning of the season that 13 managers were going to be fired and Steve Cooper of Forest wasn't going to be one of the, I wouldn't have believed you.

Forest looked kinda safe for a few weeks, and now they definitely don't.

I'm not sure which American manager I'd want to put into the Premier League ringer. Very good for the back account, I guess.

FTGOTC and Magikfute repped this.