Jesse Marsch out at Leeds, rumored for Southampton job

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by truefan420, Apr 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorcalHockeyhooligan

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but would Arteta have been given the time for his system to come to fruition (this season) if Arsenal were in the relegation zone every season with Arteta in charge? I doubt it.
    As for other coaches being fired in the EPL but going on to be successful/getting back to the EPL, my fear is the prejudice against American coaches. I'm not sure too many Top 5 leagues would give an American chance after chance after chance the way they might for a coach from a "traditional" soccer nation. I hope for Jesse's sake he can be like Marco Silva and recover from this latest firing.
    p.s. I think Marsch is great at rah-rah positivity but just not good at tactics. If he gets a job again at a top level, I hope it's a Klinsmann/Lowe scenario where Klinsi was the motivational speaker but had Lowe behind him for the tactical nous.

acima, edcalvi and Deadtigers repped this.
  2. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leeds of course does not have the talent of Man U. I just meant that Ten Hag never really had a bad run this year. Just two games at the beginning of the year.

aeschylusdanceparty repped this.
  3. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's because he's young and because he's good at all the other aspects of goalkeeping. Everyone is in love with his potential if he can become a better shot stopper.

But imagine if they were the ones to bring in Navas on loan and not Nottingham.

edcalvi and gogorath repped this.
  4. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    One thing I was just reminded of - which kind of destroys the "he didn't have enough time" idea - is that due to the Queen's Death break and the WC break, he pretty much had 2 mini pre-seasons to get his ideas across, and he still didn't.

Just think about it. He had a full off season, and 2 1 month breaks to really coach the team and fix the problems, and 1 day ago his final game still featured his team being exposed by a simple diagonal that isolates their LB, leads to a set piece, and the set piece defense is once again the victim of a dumb mistake leading to a poor clearance and a goal.

If mistakes like that are still happening after all that time, then it's on the coach.

5. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Tactical superiority seems overrated to me. Way too many examples of winning coaches struggling when the scenery changes.

6. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    And yet, he's probably the single biggest reason they were relegation threatened last year and a major contributor this year.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  7. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are going to need the 49ers to really throw down financially for that one. But worth trying if they think they can make a competitive offer.

He seems to be waiting for whichever big 6 job opens first.

OWN(yewu)ED repped this.
  8. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean I agree with you. They could have cashed in on him (Man U among other clubs was interested), used the money to help shore up the rest of the team and tried to bring in Navas or someone on else on loan.

gogorath repped this.
  9. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think England is always going to be the hardest league for an American coach to break into. Whereas somewhere like Germany seems to be more open minded. I could see a Steve Cherundolo getting a shot there in a few years and really running with the opportunity for instance.

10. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Honestly, if I were the owner of lower table EPL team, the one place I would absolutely splurge big time is keeper.

I don't know what Navas' wages are -- I assume they are very high. But I'd make something like that happen.

Pegasus, FTGOTC, Boysinblue and 4 others repped this.
  11. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I’m a bottom half EPL team next season and I didn’t have a great shot stopper, I would very much explore whether Arsenal would be open to Matt Turner going on loan.

FTGOTC, Marko72, dred and 2 others repped this.
  12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Asking an adult keeper to become a better shot stopper is an equivalent of asking forward to get quicker or CB to grow couple inches.

FTGOTC and dred repped this.
  13. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    And this is also why the McKennie signing made no sense to me. I like McKennie as a player, but their issues were clearly at both ends of the fields--getting balls into the opponents' net and keeping balls out of their own. I thought they were reasonably good in the middle third of the field. They would have been better off getting a proven goal-scorer or shot-stopper, even if it was just a loan option like McKennie's. That's how you can quickly tilt your actual goals more towards your xG.

14. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I like the McKennie signing if you don't look at opportunity cost. And maybe he was the best they could get on loan.

I think he fits well in the sense of providing more defense while also adding some x factor scoring. He can press, he's good in the air, he's surprisingly effective as an 8 in attack. He doesn't really fit with a team forcing the ball through the middle, but the new coach will probably not do that as much. Give him some space to find some holes -- he has passing vision but not the precision.

But that said ... it feels like there were more clear weaknesses out there.

The only thing I will say is this: I do think that perhaps Jesse was actually adjusting tactics with this purchase. The 10 wasn't working, in large part because no one on that team at the 10 was good enough to be a 10 in an offense that crowded the defense that tightly.

Leeds' talent + EPL + narrow field = the 10 basically becomes a counterpresser. It didn't matter if it was Rodrigo or Aaronson or another guy -- the are is too crowded and none of these guys are EPL level 10s, which is an incredibly small subset even with a tactical set really designed for a 10.

So if you aren't getting much out of that, maybe it is time to put someone like McKennie in the midfield and rejigger.

Maybe, maybe not.

Marko72, edcalvi and gomichigan24 repped this.
  15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Panic move.

16. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would Poch be interested in a relegation battle at Leeds when he's likely to end up at one of the big clubs if he just waits a bit longer... he's not Sean Dyche.

17. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Let's face it - we are hiring a coach really for one main purpose - to get us at least out of the second round on home soil (quarters or semis). So I think the importance of the coach is probably going to be overrated (is Bora available?). We should have a number of our best players in their prime - and if the group setup favors teams that get results early - whoever our coach is should be able to get us some rest in the last game of the group which is going to be critical (entering the knockout round with some miles left on our legs). By that standard - Jesse probably might do okay.

That said, I think Berhalter has demonstrated (both for better and for worse) the importance of a degree of flexibility and not rigidly adhering to a playing ideology - as well as making sure we not overplay certain players. So, I personally would rule out Bielsa and Marsch from the start - but as you know, I'm really not a fan.

FTGOTC, edcalvi and gomichigan24 repped this.
  18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think McKennie's a pretty good player compared to Marc Roca, etc.

So I'm not quite sure why there's such consternation about that signing.

I would question Rutter a lot more. If you need a forward to hit the ground running and score goals immediately to save yourself from relegation..........................do you sign a guy from a relegation threatened Bundesliga team who's scored one goal since August? Its not the time to sign a project. That's a very "Leedsy" signing, when they needed a stud.

[Rodrigo getting hurt and being unavailable really hurt Leeds as well. And, of course, Bamford forgetting how to be an athlete.]

19. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He needs Coach Beard.

20. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was mostly explained to you. You're pretending to not understand.

It's not about McKennie in a vacuum. He's not what the team needed to invest their finite amount of $ on, which was help at the front or back.

And Wes is a worse fit next to Adams, who needs Roca to help him in the build-up. Wes is too sloppy. He's a runner off the ball, and on it in space. Musah gets the US out of tighter spaces and advances them for the USMNT. He could play as the 3rd man, but it's limiting their flexibility if they insist on both Tyler and Wes in CM. And he's probably kicking out a quality player.

21. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the thing with McKennie is they aren't actually spending money on him. He's technically on loan and while I'm sure his salary at Juventus is good, I'm sure it's not exorbitant for an EPL club. And if they do stay up the buy option is doable for Leeds (especially with the 49ers expected to take over the club this summer).

McKennie was an opportunity to bring in the sort of player who otherwise wouldn't have come to Leeds, but was willing to do so because of his relationship with Adams and having Marsch as coach. And it was the chance to do so without having to pay any money up front. So they jumped at the opportunity to add a good player even if it wasn't their biggest need.

Elninho repped this.
  22. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #1747 Clint Eastwood, Feb 6, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    Yeah.................but he's on loan.

He's actually just cheap depth for this season. If they stay up then they're required to buy, then we can have a debate if he's worth the money.

Bringing him in didn't preclude them from bringing in others.
    Spending a club record 36 million pounds on Rutter probably did..................

[Rutter...........a forward who's scored one goal since August.]

Guinho repped this.
  23. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    remember Al Davis - "just win baby".

Sean Payton today at his Denver press conference was pretty clear - his way or the highway - and he referred back to Bill Parcell days.

yes it is cuthroat.

hope Jesse can learn and adapt - it is a marathon and not a sprint after all.

MayaDempsey and gomichigan24 repped this.
  24. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Indeed. you're a Chelsea fan.
    They've averaged like a new manager a year since 2010.
    The majority of whom have better resumes than Marsch.
    Many of them actually won things, and were fired anyway.
    Coaches in the Premier League aren't given a long time to make improvements.
    Every year its now or never.

Many coaches have short tenures in MLS, and there isn't even relegation in that league.

25. MayaDempsey

MayaDempsey Member+

Jul 29, 2014
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    His career winning percentage is better than a lot of dudes currently coaching in the EPL. Most of whom I keep hearing are tactical geniuses. He’ll be fine.