Jesse Marsch out at Leeds, rumored for Southampton job

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by truefan420, Apr 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Time to call the Fates and ask for a favor.

2. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    I’d quit if I were Jesse. Leeds hates him.

3. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    I would too if I was a Leeds fan, after 1 year and many new signings he still isn't winning lol.

I want him to succeed as much as anyone but sometimes you got to call them how you see them. And his tactics just constantly leave his team exposed.

4. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Watching them dominate possession (and often chance creation) and lose seems to compel the conclusion that without a world class back line the tactics are wrong. They play a beautiful style and you can see that they are close to something great offensively. But if your defenders are as weak as theirs, it doesn't matter. It makes every counter or set piece a really good chance for the other team. Yes, there is an anti-American/Ted Lasso element to Leeds fans' whining. But that doesn't make them wrong. I love the way Jesse manages people, but not getting a Wober-quality left back will probably be his downfall.

5. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    you can rightly complain about tactics, but that’s not really the problem in this game.

6. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Is Jesse responsible for signing players? I know he’s involved in That of course but I would imagine he knows he needs a left back.

Gnonto and Sinesterra have each had better chances than Forest had. That sounds like something on the scheme side is working.

Hard to figure. But even if it’s just bad luck at some point it ain’t worth it for him or Leeds.

7. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Not sure who Struick was playing for on some moments.

dred and Mason16 repped this.
  8. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Jesse has not made enough adjustment 2nd half. May get him sacked.

CU soccer repped this.
  9. CU soccer

CU soccer Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Panama City Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don’t bring on McKennie when you’re down a goal. You bring on Aaronson. Bad move by Jesse.

And McKennie has looked completely out of his league, so far.

10. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I hate Kaylor Navas.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? I'd like some of what you're smoking. It's a chaotic mess, and it's definitely not effective. Leeds didn't manage a shot on goal after minute 50.
    I disagree. His downfall will be his narrow tactics. Time and time again it was about trying to rush passes down the middle, with nothing to show for it. A different LB would not have made a difference on the Forest goal.

12. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not at all. Aaronson was never going to be the right person to bring on. He gets pushed off the ball by a gust of wind and has been more of a liability than anything else since returning from the world cup.

13. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    Jesse needs a plan B. His stuff works a little but when the other side compresses, it’s done.

But I disagree; a different left back and Forest doesn’t score.

14. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    It's bad enough that I think it's time to start thinking about what is next for Marsch. He clearly needs to reinvent his tactics and learn how to make adjustments. Does he do that in MLS? Does he find a nice mid tier league to learn in like the Netherlands?

Does he actually get the US job? (I hope not!)

largegarlic repped this.
  15. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020

While you aren't wrong, this is the type of game that was such a total mess having Aaronson running around causing more chaos is probably not a bad last ditch effort - it sure would have been more effective than whatever Greenwood did!

But overall it's water under the bridge. They are a dead team walking.

16. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    He is process not results oriented. Horrible choice for a National team.

17. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    McKennie was a mistake. He never should have gone to Leeds and that game shows why. He doesn’t fit them at all.

Best of Luck on your next adventure, Jess! Pulling for you.

CU soccer repped this.
  18. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Well, the only names solidly connected with the job so far have been Berhalter (and that's probably just as a formality at this point), and Bielsa. The latter is a questionable and inappropriately inflexible results-oriented coach.

19. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    You're going to judge his move on less than 30 minutes of play? Holy hot take, Batman!

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'd figure he goes to the Netherlands or 2 Bundesliga/Championship next.

JUnionFan repped this.
  21. pirozhok

pirozhok Member+

United States
    Jul 20, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Leeds dilemma might be that they don't have plan B for a coach. If they fire Marsch now who will be caretaker and who is available to become head coach?
    In any case Marsch will be watching their Sunday game on TV (if he will have any interest at that time to see his former team going down again).

22. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a bad loss for sure, but he’s not on the verge of getting fired quite yet.

The key games for him are Everton and Southampton following Man U.

Mr Martin repped this.
  23. JUnionFan

JUnionFan Member+

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Sep 30, 2020
    That's would take them to the end of the Feb. That's really risking it if they decide to wait that long.

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I concur. He has a few games to save his skin. His best hope is Everton, Bournemouth and Southampton continue to suck giving him time to turn things around.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  25. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was a bad loss but he's not getting fired right after their winter transfer market acquisitions. Ownership is backing him for the time being.

I wouldn't want Jesse as a NT coach though. Said it for awhile. It's actually the coaching version of the people who used to call other fans eurosnobs for wanting to call up players simply because they play in Europe. Most who want Jesse as the NT manager ignore his extremely concerning faults/weaknesses. But he coaches in Europe!