Jesse Marsch calls it quits

Discussion in 'Alumni Forum' started by marek, Feb 6, 2010.

1. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Chivas USA midfielder Jesse Marsch, one of three players to appear in matches in each of MLS's 14 seasons, announced his retirement to become an assistant coach under Bob Bradley with the U.S. national team.

Marsch, 36, began his career with United in 1996 and had four league goals in two seasons before being claimed by Bradley, then the coach of the Chicago Fire, in the expansion draft.

"I remember my first day as a pro soccer player, 22 years old, jumping into a van at United training camp in Del Mar [Calif.]," he told the Insider today. "John Harkes was driving, Jeff Agoos was in the front passenger's seat and I slid in next to Marco Etcheverry. I'm thinking: 'What am I doing here?' But once I got on the field and got comfortable around those guys, I was confident I would fit in."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/so...ires_crew_signs_colo.html?wprss=soccerinsider

Marsch sure had a long and succesful career in MLS, but what really got to me was that quote about the van. Man, that sure brings back some fine memories! Good times!

2. Allan Quatermain

Oct 23, 2001
    The Lost City of Gol
    Club:
    DC United
    What's really creepy was when Harkes turned to the new guy and asked, "Hey rookie, are ya married? Girlfriend? Have any pictures?"

3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
  4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team: