Post-match: Jersey Bounce - Crew @ Energy Drink Soccer, Now in New York Flavor! - Match 4 - 3/18/23 7:30PM

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by chr1st, Mar 14, 2023.

?

What will be the result of the Crew's 3/18/23 match vs NYRB?

Poll closed Mar 18, 2023.
  1. Win by two or more goals

16.0%
  2. Win by one goal

18.0%
  3. Canadian Win (née Tie)

22.0%
  4. Lose by one goal

28.0%
  5. Lose by two or more goals

2.0%
  6. The O'Rourke Special - Crew & NYRB combine for >4 yellow cards OR 1 straight red (worth 2 points!)

12.0%
  7. "Heaven looks a lot like winning in New Jersey." - Will Sands

2.0%
  1. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    From what I've heard, the USL pool of potential good players involves young guys in a non MLS market and late bloomers. If a young player comes up through a well established local youth system like Louisville FC and can get playing time earlier, that may be better than riding the bench on a Porter coached team. Wynder is 17.

Other USL guys seem more like permanent Triple-A players.

Tobias C and zman31 repped this.
  2. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really what I had envisioned after these past three years… Oh well. I hope my kids love the feelings and the atmosphere of LDC.

3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My standard answer to this general line of question is:

Let's make a list of the players who have graduated from USL to MLS. (Hint: you won't need much paper)

In fact, most people would be hard pressed to name even one, aside from guys who were sent out on loan from an MLS side.

There are some guys like Wynder who move from USL (or previously, NASL) to Europe, but in almost all of those cases the player was just waiting to turn 18. (FIFA forbids international transfers before then). Guys like him are often if not always offered an MLS contract and of course then get plopped into the lottery.

But a) they give up their choice of location and b) MLS won't offer anyone a one year deal. The minimum is three years, and if, when you turn 18, you get a juicy offer from the Continent, MLS (and your team) take a big piece. (Otherwise known as money you could have had yourself; the buying team doesn't care)

Aside from that, MLS is now casting a pretty wide net over youth soccer. Not a lot of talent goes unnoticed. The days of some kid nobody ever heard of suddenly bursting on the scene are long gone. Now if you haven't signed with MLS it's either because they didn't make you and offer or your parents talked you into going to college or you don't want MLS' claws in you as you angle for an overseas job.

But join a USL team for a few years and then get an MLS offer? Yeah, not so much.

Tobias C repped this.
  4. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2022 was a transition year for the Cleveland Guardians

I think it would be fair to say that Terry Francona knew that Owen Miller, Ernie Clement, Franmil Reyes, Yu Chang, Bobby Bradley, Will Benson, and Nolan Jones are not good enough to be regular everyday players at the big league level.

But all of those players got a chance to prove otherwise. So did guys like Steven Kwan and Oscar Gonzalez, who far exceeded expectations. Hell, we still dont know if they are actually that good. 2023 is going to be another transition year for the Guardians. A bunch more guys are going to get the chance to prove they are or arent guys at the big league level. I'm sure Terry Francona knows who is who.

They are still going to get an opportunity.

---

Now, you may be right. You probably ARE right. I am not even disagreeing with you. All of those unused subs might be nowhere near good enough to be everyday players at the big league level.

But my issue is that, so far, he has behaved like the worst of caleb. being unwilling or unable to make tactical adjustments when plan A doesnt work, and sticking to the same core group and only deviating when forced by injury. for a guy with a rep of leting the kids play, he sure is only applying that to a couple kids.

5. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Farsi, Quinton, Sands, Morris, Matan. Half the starting lineup. Morris has more experience, but this is his first time as a legit starter.

Also, baseball is an individual sport essentially. Easy to give a guy an at bat or let him run around in the outfield for the occasional fly ball. Soccer is a team sport.

Putting on multiple guys that are worse than Quinton, when we are being worked by NYRB on the road, probably isn’t the ideal time for a triple sub of three third division players. Just sayin’

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  6. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    For the love of God, as a player I would rather play for my club than a meaningless non WC game

7. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool story, bro.

Minnman and Bill Archer repped this.
  8. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Im pretty sure you can't opt out of a callup during an international window without facing FIFA sanctions

9. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait... what?

10. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    I’ve heard Clubs refusing to release players , Also I’m sure they player can ask not to participate. Now if they don’t agree i have no idea how that works never really paid attention but I’m sure it’s happened before

11. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    See this regarding the ability of a called up player who refused a call-up to play for his club during an international window:
    Screenshot_20230319_190828_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...oQFnoECDgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3b7-XFOvaHk6sUqksvxMqr

See e.g., https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndic...up-due-to-uncertain-fifa-eligibility.amp.html.

If it's outside of an international window they can refuse. Atlanta is known for refusing, so people think Atlanta won't allow Caleb Wiley to attend some U-20 games.

12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, they just claim an "injury", which seems to heal up by the time the club game comes around.

DrunkandDisorderly repped this.
  13. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The country is still allowed to call the player up and make him report so that federation’s doctors can examine him.

14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They have improved the process in recent years....

15. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd never heard that before.

I thought the only sanction you'd get if you refused a callup was that the coach thought you were a dick, and he wouldn't call you back in later on.

16. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    And before anyone asks about Nagbe refusing call-ups, the US was nice and never forced the issue when he began refusing.

Kyle Crew repped this.
  17. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The difference is that you can't pick and choose which games you want to play in.Youre either in the official player pool or you're not.

In Nagbes case, he declined to be part of the program. Period.

They're not slaves. USSF and or FIFA don't own them and they can't demand that you participate in the national program.

What you can't do is say you'll. ome in for this camp and this tournament but not that one. You're either in or out.

Nagbe declared himself out.

18. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Nagbe never refused call ups. He just said "don't call me up."

TRUJDUB21 and Bill Archer repped this.
  19. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless he was a starter.

20. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we admit, at least to each other, that it is not great that Nancy spent the week in the press talking about the one single true way to play the game?

Is it permissible if I mention that I don't like how Aidan Morris plays the ball backwards even when he is under no pressure and a forward pass is available to him?

Please don't be offended if I say that I'm sick of watching the ball go backwards on a diagonal.

21. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will admit that Nancy seems to have pussified Aiden Morris. What happened to that fearless young guy who would challenge for any ball and never backed down? The guy who ate Nicky Lodeiro's lunch at MLS Cup? Now he's a very limited, uncertain looking DM.

the_rickler repped this.
  22. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    #223 Paul171121, Mar 20, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    In this back 5, you can't have a DM in full attack mode or else it's quickly 1v1 against a CB; ours arent great. First goal, he went after the ball after a turnover, leaving everyone else on the backfoot against speedier and stronger competition.

In the cup, he played the 8 role; he's more in the 6 role now. His passing decisions have improved compared to last year.

Regarding backwards passes, for whatever reason this year in MLS, I've seen several teams pass it back then push it forward quickly into the wide areas of the mid third. That and having CBs take the goal kicks are an interesting trend.

24. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    I think Atlanta is going to beat us at home , might need to settle for a draw. They have been hot the last 2 games and I’m not sure what’s worse our defense or our attack. Throw in we might be missing a few more starters and it don’t look good.

Does Atlanta have anyone who might be out on international duty ?

25. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TRUJDUB21 repped this.