Jersey auction for Katrina relief

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Rocket, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From mlsnet.com:

"The American soccer community is joining together to raise funds to support the victims of one of the most devastating natural disasters in our nation's history. Major League Soccer players, as well as members of the U.S. National Team and Mexican National Team, are contributing autographed game-worn jerseys that will be auctioned to raise funds for the Hurricane Katrina relief efforts.

Players competing in the U.S. vs. Mexico World Cup qualifier in Columbus, Ohio on September 3 and all MLS games on September 3 and 4 will sign the jerseys and donate them for the relief efforts. These jerseys will be auctioned online via www.MLSnet.com with 100 percent of the proceeds going to programs that support the victims of Hurricane Katrina."

http://auction.mlb.com/cgi-bin/ncom...ept=&wl=33072944&sort=&accept=&gallery=&team=

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20050901&content_id=41585&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

2. rickinva

rickinva Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    While that's nice and the money will help for sure, IMHO is also misleading. It's the US Soccer fans that will truly be raising the money. If the "Soccer Community" really wanted to make a statement of support, the player signing the jersey would make a matching dollar for dollar contribution of his own to the relief fund. Then the players and the fans would truly be one community in the relief effort.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the league/nats will have to replace the jerseys (Yes, I know they have extras, but they will replace the set that is auctioned off). Instead of just donating the same amount of money as the jerseys would cost they're creating a way to raise more money.

4. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, not all MLS players are very well paid, so asking them to match the donations might be a bit unfair.

Instead, I'd like to see the clubs match the donations, either at a 1-for-1, or preferably, 2-for-1, level.

5. rickinva

rickinva Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    I'll certainly conceed that point, but for the US players at least, their games fees alone would certainly be more than enough to match the donations pledged for the jerseys.

That too would be a great way to make the relief drive a true "community" effort.

6. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    We are simply not raising enough, other leagues are going to give way more than this auction will produce.

7. I am Joe²

I am Joe² New Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Jersey
    Of course they will give more, but this isn't a competition. Every little bit will help.

8. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    They can afford it. The Washington Redskins are worth over a billion by themselves.

9. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Our Billionaire owners, through whatever foundation they want to go through, could each donate 500, 000 to the relief, collectively being more than each other League...plus donations from these jerseys, could be a respectible chunk.

10. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    It's not a competition...

Who cares how much is donated by what team/group/person, every little bit counts.

11. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Excellent idea by MLS!!

I will be bidding!!

12. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    PR baby. Why not be the best with our charity?

13. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    How do you know that they aren't?

14. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Just for some perspective - the aggregate tv deal money the NFL splits among its member teams is $13.6 BILLION over 8 years. That's $1.7 billion per year in tv money alone. So the NFL contributing $1 million to NO flood relief is equivalent to MLS contributing $0.25

Heck, even a 30 second SuperBowl spot sells for $2.5 million.

15. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Venus Williams announced that she will donate $100 for each ace she serves up for the rest of the year.

On Wednesday night, that added up to $200 in the 6-2, 6-2 win over unseeded Catalina Castano of Colombia. Williams, sparkling in another pair of $40,000 diamond earrings and a diamond necklace, will face No. 25 Francesca Schiavone in the third round.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/12531444.htm

16. keeppah

keeppah Member

Feb 10, 2000
    Taunton, MA
    If the auctions are live, wouldn't it help to have a time? I'd love to get my wife a McBride jersey, but I'm not sitting by the CPU all day in order to know when it goes up for bid.

17. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The auction will be conducted online. Bidding will begin today at 8pm ET and run until Sept 12, noon ET.

18. keeppah

keeppah Member

Feb 10, 2000
    Taunton, MA
    Thanks!

19. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Auction update:

Some of the USMNT jerseys are getting pretty high bids:

Keller -- $2500
    Donovan -- $1500
    Reyna -- $1060
    McBride -- $1020

But most of the MLS jerseys are pretty good deals.

In fact, a number of MLS players have yet to receive a $150 minimum bid on their jersey:

Guzan, Ezra, Chivas Martinez, Borchers, Freeman, Peguero, Petke, Henderson, Chad Marshall, Garlick, Valakari, Burciaga, Herculez Gomez, Kirovski, Tyrone Marshall, Vagenas, Andy Williams, and Alejandro Moreno

20. fcdallas1

fcdallas1 New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Dallas
    I thought they announced at last night's FCD match that every players signed, worn jersey would be auctioned. I only see about 5-6 per MLS team. For instance Eddie Johnson's jersey doesn't seem to be for auction. Any idea what's up?

21. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's a charity auction, yet they see fit to charge sales tax?

HUH?!

Someone missed the point there.....

I think it's a nice idea and a way for MLS to contribute, lets not kid ourselves, MLS isn't in the league of NFL (who IMO could have donated much more than $1m).

Shalrie Joseph's jersey wil be mine!

22. BillP

BillP Member

Jan 20, 1999
    If the player autographed the jersey, that would be even sweeter..........

It's for a good cause and all, but eventually i'll have to step out on the bidding for some as past $2,000 for me for a jersey is too much.

I'll just give directly to the Red Cross............

Either way, let's bid people!

23. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    Keller's jersey is going for 3k+

24. capitalist

capitalist New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    His save in the 46th minute will be remembered as a milestone in US soccer history.

25. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States