Jerrel "Jimmy Floyd" Hasselbaink retires from football

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by RWB1, Sep 15, 2008.

1. RWB1

RWB1 Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Jerrel Hasselbaink retires from football because he can't find a new club. He played for clubs like Boavista FC, Leeds United, Atletico Madrid, Chelsea and Middlesbrough He scores 196 competitiongoals in 468 matches. Played two FA-cup finales one UEFA-cup final. He won the Taca de Portugal. He was 3 times topscorer of competition, two times in the Premier League and one time in the Primira Division. Also he played 23 times for the Dutch national squad including the 98 World Cup and the Euro 2000 in the Netherlands and Belgium.

In my opinion, he was a great player. He scored everywhere he came. It is a pitty he ends like this. But he had a fantastic carreer.

2. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Had he been British he'd have been a starter for their NT, but since he was Dutch he was a bench player at best

3. Rakim_22

Rakim_22 Member

Manchester United
    Netherlands
    Sep 6, 2004
    Florida
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    2nd greatest Dutch striker of all-time behind Patje. :D

No lie.

4. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek:

5. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You're kidding right???!!

6. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Yes he was a great player but unfortunately didn't fit into the Dutch school of football very well (similar to Makaay).

Anyway Twente's coaching staff have offered Hasselbaink an internship. If he likes it over here and if Twente like him, he'll be coaching our strikers.

7. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    BTW I was shocked to learn Hasselbaink still earned quite a bit of money playing in the English 2nd division (Championship).
    I had no idea they payed that kind of money in that league (to some players).

I forgot the exact amount, it was in an article I read a few months back, but it was more than enough for the average person to live comfortably on.

8. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    It's the sad thing about European football today. I hope he doesn't expect that kind of money now that he joins the Twente coaching staff!

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes, they draw pretty well and do have a number of matches televised. In addition, teams relegated from the Premier League get some kind of parachute payment as well that allow them to pay decent salaries.

10. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I think the article said he was making 100,000 GBP a week, but I'm not 100% sure

Also MLS salaries have really gone up.
    See here: http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/8_12_08_salary_info_alpha.pdf

11. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Hasselbaink was a great goalscorer who topped the charts in England and Spain during his one and only season at Atletico Madrid.

He had to have one of the hardest shots as well. Scored some real thunderbolts.

Did well when he played for Oranje. Should have been picked by Rijkaard for Euro 2000, but the ************ Peter Van Vossen was taken, and it showed when he played against Italy in that forgettable Semi-Final.

I will always remember Jimmy playing and scoring in the classic 2-2 draw against Portugal. That was a night were Van Gaal got it all wrong with his subs and tactics blowing a 0-2 match.

Another match I was at was the debacle in Ireland were once again Van Gaal made crazy decisons and at the end Jimmy was out on the right flank.

What a joke Fifa was having De Boer and Davids sit in the stands that night with the unproven doping tests for Nandrolone. That Oranje side had so much quality, and incredibly failed to make it to the World Cup Finals were they could have one the event. That was the biggest qualification failure in the history of the event.

12. Eric_the_Orange

Sep 3, 2005
    His shot is what I always think of when his name comes up. A thunderous striker of the ball.

I wonder if he'd consider the MLS? He could make some decent money and probably be successful. And if he joined an MLS club, I could stand to watch a game.

13. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Nah man, Van Vossen was great that match.

Especially with his arms trying to get some noise from the crowd