Jermaine Jones - should he get re-signed?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsLiverpool, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Should Jermaine Jones get re-signed?

1. Yes - as a player

35 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Yes - as a player/coach or assistant

9 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. No.

19 vote(s)
    30.2%
  1. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think in the end NE should be commended for trying to do right by the player while still getting value.

It ended up as the best situation for all parties once it was clear that the Revs were not going to give JJ a long term deal that would make sense for him to move his family to the Boston area.

During Jones’ stay in New England, he’d routinely take the first flight to Los Angeles following a home match to see his wife and five children. Less than 48 hours later, he’d be back on the training pitch in Foxborough. To say it was an ideal situation for the 34-year-old box-to-box midfielder would be a stretch.

“There was also the sentiment that he wanted to be closer to home,” Heaps said, “and when everything was finalized, it was the best possible scenario for both sides.”

http://nesoccertoday.com/?p=41285

2. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Well...I'm not sure that offering such a huge pay cut was 'doing right by the player'. Why didn't they just try and trade him to begin with rather than give him such a poor offer?

RevsLiverpool and TheLostUniversity repped this.
  3. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poor offer? $600,000? Poor? I has now settled for $500,000 with Colorado.

4. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kinda wished there was a Jermaine Jones on the Revs yesterday.....[yeah, I know, he still would be in the suspension phase].....

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids are 1 point below the top point total in the league. Jones had a goal and an assist in his debut. He also assisted on another goal that was called back for offsides, and on another shot that hit the post.

But it's early, I'm sure Jones will drag the Pids down to the bottom 5 eventually...

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You see every single Rapids player go over to celebrate his goal. He just brings a team together, it's hard to explain.

Watch most of the Revs goals (well, when they actually score). It isn't like that.

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  8. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colorado was a good team without Jones given they are at the top of the West. He's a leader and had a good start to his campaign last night playing in an advanced role. However, the league is not won or lost in mid-April so we need to watch and see how they do the rest of the year. The West is tough top to bottom so Colorado has their work cut out for them. Will Jones stay healthy? How much will he contribute on the scoresheet (he's already beat his 0g, 0a in 1300+ mins last season). Will Colorado have a strong playoff run? That all remains to be seen.

9. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's crystal clear is that whatever we see Jones do, it won't do the Revs and damn good....
    ...but, hey, All's Well with Caldwell!....:unsure:

10. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few stats on JJ...

In his 1 game with the Crapids, Jones is already 50% of the way to his 2 year revs' regular season goals total (2) and 25% to the assists total (4).

He played 1925 minutes across 28 regular season games for the revs.

He has 2 SOG with Colorado which is 50% of what he did in all of 2015 with the revs.

Just interesting to watch and see how it all develops.

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know things ended poorly in NE for JJ but I've always been a fan and I'm already loving having him in Colorado.

Honore de Ballsac and a517dogg repped this.
  12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see Koffie as JJ's replacement but would like to see Caldwell higher up the pitch. When the new guy from Sion gets healthy it will be interesting to see the new configuration. We may have to wait til next year but I would love to see Scotty take Rowe's place to combine with Nguyen and link up with the forwards.

13. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though I voted for him as an assistant coach in this thread, I knew there was an almost zero chance of retaining him here, for both financial and geographic reasons (he was on a flight to LA every week to see his family).

He is a helluva player. I figured the Krafts wouldn't re-sign him for multiple years but wanted to keep him around as a leader. Well done to your FO, I hope you guys win the west and make a playoff run. At least beat LA and Seattle because I enjoy when those smug pricks are miserable.

JasonMa repped this.
  14. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's move this to the MLS Other Teams thread. 500+ posts.