Jermaine Jones - should he get re-signed?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsLiverpool, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Should Jermaine Jones get re-signed?

1. Yes - as a player

35 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Yes - as a player/coach or assistant

9 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. No.

19 vote(s)
    30.2%
  1. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well since the revs have November tee times this year, I guess it's time to address the biggest question or debate this offseason.

It dominates in just about every recent thread so probably deserves its own thread. Should JJ get re-signed? Why?

2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, simply because Burns is incapable of signing anyone else matching Jones' quality.

a517dogg, Revolusean, patfan1 and 2 others repped this.
  3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and I've outlined why in another thread. Basically, see above. And, even at his sub-2014 level, he's still better than anyone else we have a prayer of adding to the roster. As a DP, it doesn't matter if you pay him $800,000 or $3 million, the cap hit is the same.

But somehow I expect the Revs to lose both him and JoGo, with no credible replacements for either.

Revolution909 repped this.
  4. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yes, solely because I have little no faith in Burns finding an adequate replacement and Kraft being willing to pay him.

a517dogg and SamSam repped this.
  5. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get the "make Jones a coach" view. People were complaining when we hired Heaps due to his lack of experience so it's ok to hire Jones, even as an assistant? And what about him makes people think he'd ever be a good coach? Just curious.

As for actually re-signing him...no. Unless he's willing to take a major pay cut you can fill that cap space with someone just as useful, but then again it's Mike Burns.

6. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a player he's seen and done more than Heaps ever did. He understands tactics. He understands pressure. The guys respect him. MLS coaching staffs all over the league are peppered with ex player assistants. If you criticize the idea of bringing back Jones as an assistant, may as well criticize Houston for hiring Ralston, LA for hiring Reis, and the myriad of other teams (Philly, Montreal, DC) with ex players now in coaching positions.

The counter is, as we saw last night Jones can lose his mind to the detriment of the team which a coach simply can not do.

a517dogg and NFLPatriot repped this.
  7. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, if you think Burns can sign someone better than Jones, I'd love to smoke what your smoking.

As for the player coach, Jones isn't incredibly articulate about the game, so communicating the details to his players wouldn't work. Also, Heaps is a good coach because he was never the most gifted player, so he can coach guys who are average. I would find it hard to imagine Jones could coach a guy who can't use both feet and hit a 60 yard pass on a dime. Historically, the best coaches aren't the stars, they're the guy with more brains than brawn.

8. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes...1) he may not have been as good as he was in 2014, but he is still a great MLS player and he will be for at least a few more years. 2) Does anyone have any confidence that this front office has the ability to actually replace him (or anyone else for that matter) with equal or better talent?

I still like the majority of the roster that we have in place. I would just like to see a few better players on the roster, particularly up top and in the back, so some of the players we rely on as starters become more like role players and at least have to compete harder for playing time.

As for JJ's outburst last night - it isn't like this is the first time he has shown his hot-headed nature in his career. I don't agree with putting your hands on a ref, but I get it - the inconsistency in the interpretation of the handling rule is maddening. Some refs call it one way, others call it other ways...some refs call it different ways in the same game. Sometimes I feel like the rule should just be - the ball hits your arm, it is a foul, end of story. Of course, you'd then have skilled players running around purposefully flicking the ball off of people's arms, but at least there would be no arguing what constitutes a hand-ball/handling.

MM66, Revs in 2010 and BERich repped this.
  9. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I voted yes and I can't articulate it any better than the previous posters, especially what Revs In First just said.

10. BBruin66

BBruin66 Member

Mar 25, 2006
    Bangor
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fact that Jones was THE target forward when we went into desperation mode show how valuable he is to this team. We could get a better player for the money, but even if Tim Leiweke was our GM they're not coming to play on turf an hour outside of Boston.

I can see JJ getting 5 mil a season looking at the market rate around the league, and his success on this team.

The question is, how much bargaining does he have to move to another team. He can make far more money in MLS than any other league, is he simply a free-agent that can go anywhere?!?

11. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You absolutely captured exactly how I feel about this. I'd only add that the passion he showed that caused him to cross the line with the ref is the kind of passion that this team is very often missing (and sometimes it boils over -- just ask Joey Franchino!).

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These quotes say it all about the Revs fans perception of Burns.

And yet, he'll have a job next year.

13. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it's deja vu all over again. At the time when Joseph and Twellman had the possibility to go overseas for a lot more money than they could make here, I wanted the Revs to keep them. As much as I wanted to see these guys get the chance to play on a bigger stage and make more money, since careers are short, but... There was no way the Revs could/would get new replacement players even half as good as them. The same is true for Jones. There aren't any National Teamers coming home that we can get by means of a lucky coin flip.

14. Minuteman

Minuteman Member

Oct 16, 2003
    Abington, MA
    Agreed. And, let's take a look at what really ailed us down the stretch and made for our early exit..... We didn't replace A.J., and with Darrius out for the season, we moved Farrell to the middle and then we lost Woodbury to injury. This made Jo Go shakier than he normally would be. Our back line became shaky because of all this. Our needs are defensive going into 2016 and also retaining J.J. It became obvious to me again during the last game how much we still need J.J.

15. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But Burns was "caught off guard" that a guy with an EU passport and an expiring contract could get an offer outside the league...

16. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I don't know if people think he would be a good coach. I do think people sense that one of the reasons we never finish on top is that we lack tactical sophistication, and are hoping for anything that would bring that.

17. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    While I tend to agree with you, it's worth pointing out that Heaps wasn't exactly known for his great soccer IQ when he played.

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  18. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it sure does....
    That now give Burns much room and cash to bring in the next Monsef Zerka or Radjko Lekic......or maybe bring back Nyassi. You can never have enough Nyassi...

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  20. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's like TV shows making the actors a producer or executive producer. More in their pocket without increasing their "actor" salary

21. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My hope is they give Jones his three year contract and he moves his family to Boston to live. This team needs his fire and leadership---and some major additions to the roster. Letting him go would be going backwards. Giving him a contract where he's not commuting to LA each week would make his body and mind happen and get the most out of his potential. I think a lot of his less than ideal play this year had to do with his cross country trips. get his family toBoston and he'd be an All Star. Just saying :D

rkupp, VTSoccerFan and a517dogg repped this.
  22. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want him back because he contributes and we will not be able to get anybody as good to replace him. Will it happen? I have every expectation that Burns & company will try and low ball him and he will go somewhere else. We have little history of keeping players that become expensive or that have other options. If they were serious about keeping him he will be signed this coming week

23. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    @Soccer Doc makes a good point. How much would Jones' play improve if he wasn't flying to LA all the time to spend time with his family? Also, how much would Jones be worth to the organization if he had that much more time to spend doing promos, getting out in the community, etc?

24. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I worry about this coming year and exactly how often he will be in uniform. How many extra games will he have tacked on due to his outburst. How many games from call ups will he miss? How many due to injury? certainly everyone could see a drop in form between last year and from his return from surgery. Even when he was supposedly 100 percent he was forcing passes and turning the ball over more often. Re-sign him? sure why not, not like another DP is walking thru the door anytime soon but at what price? Certainly not at what he is making now

25. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It all depends on what numbers Bilello and his MIT education choose to use.

Just spit-balling here, but attendance is up about 80K compared to 2013 (the last full year without Jones).
    If the average ticket is $30, that's $2.4M. Throw in another $600K for concessions and merchandise, and Jones has paid for himself at $3M/year.

If BB's estimates are different (and he certainly has better data to work with than I do), then maybe he thinks Jones wasn't worth the money.

a517dogg and RevsLiverpool repped this.