Jermaine Jones goes full metal jacket

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by superdave, Feb 22, 2020.

1. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also meant to note that this is stupid. Some of the best pro athletes are the sons of former pros and grew up very well off. The NFL, a brutal sport, is full of rich kids. The really poor kid is the exception because it is hard to focus on sports when you are hungry or worried about where you are going to sleep.

Just a few rich kids off the top of my head who played like they were starving.

Clay Matthews, Chris and Kyle Long, Steph Curry, Barry Bonds, Pat Mahomes, Brett Hull, Kobe Bryant

Here is an article featuring successful players who never missed a meal.

https://www.goal.com/en-us/lists/ma...ous-father-sons-in/1d95lkzxtauxy18otogcmomudd

WrmBrnr, NietzscheIsDead and jaykoz3 repped this.
  2. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a very apt comparison in this instance.

And of course there are plenty of occasions in a law firm setting where multiple partners have responsibility for a client or matter.

3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Poverty as the driver of athletic success has always been a bit of myth.

https://timeline.com/tbd-dac9f411d72b

russ and superdave repped this.
  4. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Yeah, I mean even Donovan wasn't automatically awarded an MLS spot to start his coaching career despite that the league has an MVP trophy named after him.

5. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's all nice and I don't dispute it. Had you listened to more of the podcast you probably would have understood the context from Eddie on his admitting he was ignorant at the time, being very grateful to MLS for giving him a carrier, admitting he failed in Europe and came back with his tail between his legs, etc.

Additionally, none of that stuff has anything to do directly with how bizarre the Motzkin and Garber story is. Whether the player fired the agent after that or not does not really matter, it happened and it's weird. Furthermore, that was all kind of the point JJ and EJ were getting at anyway, players not being savvy.

Anyway, I don't feel like litigating all this on a message board and don't really care, even if they are hotheads and wrong about players overseas with American agents I still find the discussions fascinating and like JJ's podcast, it's not like either of them are flat out lying scumbags like Rongen.

Anyway, the JJ interview with Pulisic is really good and devoid of all the drama of the EJ one.

6. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This probably has nothing at all to do with EJ, it's just the way youth soccer works, no one wants their players training outside of their eco system if they can help it. I don't really blame anyone either, it is really difficult to put together any sort of youth program, team or club and get it and keep it going and there are always players and parents jumping from here to there chasing some new thing, it's the wild west out there.

Calling BS repped this.
  7. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I don't get that mentality. Pros, like Pulisic, do their individual training sessions with trainers, but a kid can't?

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think about what you just wrote in these two paragraphs. In a discussion about Jones, who spent nearly his entire career in Europe, and Eddie Johnson, whose career went off the rails when he went to Europe and revived when he went to Seattle, you are blaming single entity.

Please explain your logic, because I don't see any.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

sXeWesley repped this.
  10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #135 IndividualEleven, May 16, 2020
    Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Though the interview with Pulisic wasn't as juicy as the bitchfest with EJ, it was solid. JJ's show can make a nice complement to the BSI guys', who talk mostly with MLSers. Perhaps JJ could use a co-host like Geoff Cameron or JK or Clint Dempsey.

From the interview--

Interesting that the respective both parents of Reyna and Pulisic were elite ballers. That's the growth of soccer culture.

CP talks about how important it was that his dad was there with him during his early time at Dortmund: the Messi treatment.

JJ mentions how in his agency he's surprised at how many American parents are willing to likewise go over to Europe with their prospective protegies.

CP talks about how great it is to see the larger numbers of Americans fighting through youth systems of top leagues.

CP mentions the US academies don't offer the day-in-day-out atmosphere that Eurpean clubs do.

CP acknowledges the failed WC18 cycle lead to missed opportunities for himself and for soccer in America.

Talks about his bromance with McKennie

CP says Chelsea is such a historic club. LOL.

CP mentions that between the Gold Cup and flying to Japan to train with Chelsea, he'd only gotten a 1 week break. That's crazy.

They finish with talk of the initial frustration encountered with breaking into the team that ended with the hat trick against Burnley.

11. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Jones needs to do an episode with Morris and his dog.

12. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He just did another one with Yedlin. Nor real bitching or controversy, they spend time telling everyone to give Berhalter patience, that surprised me. Well, there is the part where Yedlin reveals he is a Pro/Rel truther lol.

Anyway, I am predisposed to disliking Yedlin because he is from the wrong side of the Cascadian tracks, but he is actually a bright and likable kid. Jermaine gets great guests and they are engaging and real with him in a way you won't get with someone like Wahl.

sakibomb523 and largegarlic repped this.
  13. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s cause Jones is real.

14. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Jones gets bonus points from me for the Basquiat shirt on the Eddie Johnson episode.

15. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Jones posted a Bill Gates/coronavirus conspiracy meme on his Instagram but looks to have deleted it.

G-Cam "liked" it. :p

16. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Poverty driving athletic success is slowly becoming a thing of the past.

As we move towards pushing the human limits in sports, good health and nutrition as a youth become more and more relevant.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He was ace for the NT (IMO) and one of our best guys ever, but he's always struck me as the type who will be lining his windows with aluminum foil before turning 60.

jaykoz3 and gogorath repped this.
  18. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Just one more reason why looking toward sports heroes for political advice is a pretty shit idea.

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Anti-vaxxers, Bill Gates/George Soros conspiracy theorists, and coronavirus conspiracy theorists are actually pretty mainstream nowadays.

20. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I surprised that Jones and Cameron have thrown in with folks who support a divisive, blond authortiarian?

21. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've just removed a tangent based on the random introduction of a conspiracy theory that a) had nothing to do with the thread topic and b) has been comprehensively debunked. At least one thread ban has been issued.

50/50 Ball, jaykoz3 and randomnoise repped this.
  22. DMaster

DMaster New Member

United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Wandering but not lost
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bill Laimbeer? :laugh:

On the subject of Jones though, no doubt he's got 'an edge' to him (to put it mildly) but I think the national team misses a personality like his. Any successful team needs someone like him in my estimation.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    McKennie and Miazga come across as vocal, 'character' types.

What we need is LBs and strikers more than 'character' though, IMO.

24. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    We need toughness on the pitch, which may be different that what you're describing as "character". We were sorely missing dogs with some fight in them last Hex

25. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jones for USMNT coach 2026?

The former USMNT stalwart sat down with bundesliga.com for an exclusive chat about RB Leipzig midfielder Tyler Adams, Borussia Dortmund attacker Gio Reyna and Werder Bremen striker Josh Sargent.

Now starting out on his coaching career by studying German youth systems and helping out the US U20 team, the 38-year-old also detailed exactly what makes Bayern Munich stars Robert Lewandowski and Joshua Kimmich so good.

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bunde...step-in-front-of-me-reyna-sargent-usmnt-13375