Jermaine Jones at Schalke 04 [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by golazo68, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx...d=9&title=Jones+attracting+interest&channel=&

I honestly forget where things were left- I believe he is still a YA?

Anyway, despite quite a few injuries, at 25- he is progressing nicely in his career....so much so that the top clubs in Germany now want him when his contract expires this summer.

He is a defensive midfielder.

He will be out again for a few weeks (knee), having missed much of the season already. Last season was a stellar year for him, however.

2. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston
    Re: Jermaine Jones update

so, this guy can play for the US?

Because to be honest, I have never heard of him before. Another d-mif of the future along with Clark.

3. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil

I'm pretty sure he's cap-tied to Germany due to his U-21 choice at one time. Don't think he has senior caps.

Its an American serviceman situation I believe. I'm unclear what that makes one.

4. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

5. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96

6. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

7. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That video is histarical! That was a great goal by Jones...would've been ever better if he was wearing a Red jersey.

8. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Jermaine Jones is starting tonight for Germany

9. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006

I was actually going to post and ask if Jermiane Jones counts as a YA as his father was a US soldier stationed in Germany. I only saw the first half, but was reasonably impressed by Jones.

10. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If his father was a US citizen at the time of his birth then Jermaine Jones is an American citizen and thus a yank abroad.

11. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Nice. The commentator says Jones comes flying in there like a jet and puts it right into the corner as if he were a top class striker, just on the wrong goal.

12. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006

Funny that the USMNT never tried to bring him into the fold.

13. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You know, I'm not positive but I think Jermaine, himself squashed that pretty early and chose the represent Germany at the junior level. There might have been some interest from the US but everything I've ever read has led me to believe he was Germany all the way and had no interest in the US. Jones, while he has always been extremely talented, has kind of had a rollercoaster career. Injuries coupled with an unfair expectations and labels stunted his growth to some degree. But after returning to Frankfurt from a miserable stint at Leverkusen his career has been on the upswing. Schalke has certainly benefitted from Jones strong play. He's a good player and could have been of value to the US but if my recollection is correct he really had no interest in the US.

14. TimBoston

TimBoston Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Looks like if FIFA changes their rule for switching nationalities, Jermaine may be able to play for the USA:

http://www.yanks-abroad.com/get.php?mode=content&id=4781

"At least two prominent Americans playing abroad would also now appear to be eligible for a switch to the USSF, should they be interested.

FC Schalke midfielder Jermaine Jones, the son of an American father and German mother, has appeared in friendlies for the German national team but has never earned a cap in an 'A' international match.

Club America left back Edgar Castillo, who has suited up for Mexico on various occasions, may also now again be eligible for the US team. Castillo, a New Mexico native who has sat on the bench for qualifiers for Mexico but never appeared in a full 'A' match, was left off new coach Javier Aguirre's squad for this week's Hexagonal games."

15. supercooper

supercooper Red Card

Jun 23, 2008

Its a crime and people should resign if they don't do everything they can to get this guy. Thomas Dooley was huge for the US, and one could argue that 1994/Colombia/WC progress doesn't happen without Dooley. Many 'respectable' footballing powers are doing everything they can (or considering) to get players like Jones under their fold.

There is no shame in it- in fact, we would be fools and negligent to the mission of creating the best team possible if we don't.

16. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The guy is currently a fringe player for the german national team and getting occasional callups. While he's not first in line to be on Germany's 2010 roster, he's still in the running, and a few ill-timed injuries to guys in front of him could change everything. Even if the USSF went after him, I don't see any way a guy in his position would consider a switch until after 2010.

But I agree that they should at least talk to him. He's only 27 so realistically he could still figure in for 2014 if he's game.

17. Nic D in BIG D!

Nic D in BIG D! New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    DFW
  18. TulkasTheStrong

TulkasTheStrong New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Done.

19. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

USA coup as Schalke's Jones rejects Germany

After losing the majority of these battles lately, it is nice to see a player choose the US.
    I wonder if this means he was offered a spot on the Gold Cup roster?

20. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As I was reminded in another thread, the ruling doesn't take effect for 60 days. So, Jones could technically suit up for us sometime after the Mexico game in August. I say "technically" because I'm sure there will have to be filings of paperwork on the part of the player and the USSF, but I don't know when the filings can occur.

21. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=654395&cc=5901

Soccernet has an article up as well. This is HUGE news. I'm elated. I love the new rule!!! Years ago I lost hope on securing Jermaine. Slot him right next to Bradley and we got ourselves a formidable central midfield.

22. tubby_butter

tubby_butter Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Providence
  23. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is this 100% real and true or is it some Tribal rumors bullshit?

I checked the US soccer homepage and nothing about this.:confused:

This would be a major coup, cause we really need a defensive midfielder in a bad way...

True or Bullshit?

24. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96

You do know that only Özil, Carlos Eduardo and some guy name Ribéry had a better rating this season than Jones (only talking about midfielders here)?

Next year Schalke will be trained by Magath who coached Wolfsburg to the title this year.

It's also on the official DFB (German Football association) homepage:
    http://www.dfb.de/

25. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow amazing!

Maybe this next World Cup will be better than we thought. Now all we need is for some of our youngsters to mature in time to get some playing time in South Africa...Altidore, Adu, Edu...

I hope Bradley knows how to use this guy and thinks he's a good person.