Jeremy Toljan at US Sassuolo Calcio

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Scotty, Dec 1, 2011.

1. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Fine the USSF the first time; fine them even more the second time; bring the sanctioning hammer down, hard, the third time. They'd sanction the player in between. Meanwhile, Dortmund would declare him to be in breach of contract and stop paying him. Since he'd be under sanction, no league would register him and so no club could sign him. Continue the standoff, and after an extended period on the sidelines he'd be a lesser player than he is today.

All that so he can take what is a side gig for a pro athlete?

2. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Toljan to Batshuayi, 2-0!

4. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    not counted, so still 1-0 only.

5. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucky, living in Japan if I want to go to Chipotle I have to, oddly enough, fly to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.

7. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Probably not worth worrying about here, but Toljan has played much better in this second half of the season. If he keeps it up, he could be in Russia with Germany.

8. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There’s a Chipotle rip-off in Tokyo called Frijoles, if it comes down to that...

9. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    He shredded Koln. Really nice player. He looks like he’ll be an international for somebody.

10. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Toljan still hasn't been cap-tied, right? Let's have Pulisic chat with him.

11. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    If there hasn’t been any USMNT news about this guy already, I’d rather hope there isn’t any going forward.

Would likely be a repeat of Chandler / Johnson...take your pick.

12. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Johnson- one of the best USMNT players and most versatile for a 2-year period when everyone else stunk.

Chandler- hitting the peak of his career and one of the top Bundesliga performers for a long stretch this season. USMNT has not seen/played the peak Chandler yet.

Yes, please more Chandler/Johnson's.

UnitedBorn, adam tash, Dervos and 8 others repped this.
  13. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question: What's the difference between Antonee Robinson and Jeremy Toljan?

Answer: Antonee Robinson actually wants to play for the USMNT, considers it an honor, and will happily accept a call-up.

Also, that doesn't even consider the massive complexities involved with Toljan getting an American passport.

14. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Also (to my knowledge) Antonee Robinson isn't eligible for a third country that he visits regularly to see his mother / the rest of his extended family.

I think Toljan is probably committed to shooting for a German senior team call-up, but if he does make a switch, he'll probably be wearing checkers, not stripes.

15. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    The answer could also be a fairly wide gap in quality. That said, I don’t disagree with your point either and it seems pretty unlikely that he ever plays for us (although I’ve seen stranger). I’d be ecstatic if Antonee topped out where Toljan is currently.

16. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Toljan needs to fix his club career 1st before playing for any NT. Had a pretty bad season too. Always thought he had potential but moved to a big club too early, he's only played like 2 real seasons before his move. Should have stayed at Hoff and developed more under Nagelsmann. That big move should have happened in another 2-3 years.

has also been linked with making a move to Stuttgart over the past month.

17. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    One is a Left Back and one is a Right Back that can fill in on the Left? One played for a team almost relegated from the second tier and one played for a team that qualified for the Champions League? But I jest...

I'm a big fan of Robinson, but would he play for us if he had a shot with England? Trying to get in the heads of these players is impossible and just leads to jingoistic nonsense about who feels the most "American". I'm sure they are all super competitive athletes that are highly motivated to win every game they are involved in. Nobody played harder than Jermaine Jones.

Look at the Cuban friendly two years ago. Yes, Fabian Johnson looked like he didn't want to be there. But the same, even more so, can be said of Pulisic. Meanwhile, Julian Green was probably the best player on the field that day.

If they choose to play for us, we give them a shot.

I have zero hope that Toljan would choose us and be able to get a passport and even less hope that anyone at the USSF would even try. Just because Robinson, possibly, saw the writing on the wall sooner than Toljan is hardly a reason to consider one more American than the other.

striker repped this.
  18. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point of my tweet was simple: Celebrate the players that choose to play for your national team. Don't get hung up on the ones that choose elsewhere.

I still think I am the only journalist that has ever spoken with Toljan about his USMNT eligibility. Granted that was years ago and things change, but I got an extremely disinterested vibe when speaking with. Far more disinterested than when I spoke with Thomas Delaney - who at least tried to sugarcoat it while making it clear the USMNT was a distant backup

19. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More than Shawn Parker?

20. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Yes, that is an excellent point. Sorry if I didn't get the context of your tweet. If Toljan wants to play internationally, he is probably going to have to switch to the USA or Croatia to do it.

There is no obvious dual national out there that is really a class better than someone already involved in the pool at any position. Seems like a first.

21. bshredder

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's tough to say because my interview with Shawn after his strong Bundesliga debut was through an interpreter, but he seemed a little disinterested (although I am sure he would jump at filing a one-time switch now if the USMNT ever called, as would Michael Hoyos who is toiling away for a lower team in Ecuador's top flight).

From my personal experience, Toljan was the most disinterested dual national I ever spoke with. Delaney was #2, but he was polite about it. Bjorn Johnsen was not disinterested at all, he would have strongly considered the U.S. team.

22. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

He was strike and Gonzales strike two. And both are more American than Toljan and Parker. We can only offer. Perhaps when our program gets back on track they will start calling us.

23. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    edcrocker and Rahbiefowlah repped this.
  24. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Injured or crap?

25. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He wasn't very good last year and is currently out of the rotation, buried behind Piszczek and Hakimi at right back.

Jazzy Altidore and edcrocker repped this.