Jeremy Ebobisse trialing at Genk

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by Gorky, May 6, 2015.

1. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to Steven Goff:

[​IMG] Steven Goff @SoccerInsider · May 5
    Buzz on Euro trials/workouts: Duke's Jeremy Ebobisse to Genk (Belgium) now, Virginia's Jake Rozhansky to Freiburg (Germany) in summer

He's a freshman forward at Duke ('97).

Testudo and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another trial? (and now he's a US citizen):

3. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good for him. Saw him tweet the other day that he scored his first goal for the U-20s.

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I thought he was the best prospect in college soccer this season, although not the best player, as he was the age of a freshman.

I think he is good enough to play first team football in Europe this season. Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal, France wouldn't be a bad idea.

5. kba4life

kba4life Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Claremont, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw his highlight video (always to be taken with a grain of salt), looks like he's fast and has a good left foot. Did he play FW, wing or both at Duke?

6. CreightonMCFCjoey

Jan 30, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he played both wing and CF for US U20s - news will pop soon where he's going

7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    On his public Instagram page, he said he's taking the semester off.

8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

Rahbiefowlah and hokeydokey repped this.
  9. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  10. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  11. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone know where else he plans on trialing other than Hoffenheim?

12. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Member

Oct 21, 2015

From Dallas Cup match vs. Fulham back in March.

14. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is he trialing with DCU now? He was supposed to go on a trial tour of sorts like 2 months ago, but I haven't heard anything about his status since he trialed at Hoffenheim.

15. gtstock

gtstock Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm very surprised he hasn't been signed somewhere yet. Some MLS team is going to be mad they didn't sign in the future. Considering his talent and how effective he's been with the u20's so far, he has a lot of great tools to work with.

He has the physical makeup you want, but plays like a much more intelligent and mature player instead of simply being an "athlete".

16. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Member

Oct 21, 2015

My guess is that he didn't get the offers he wanted from the clubs he trialed with this spring. People are saying MLS (DC United should've signed him but it's possible they tried to and he turned them down.

He certainly has the talent to get into a European youth set up and will probably use the U20 WC next summer to boost his stock/get spotted.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  17. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sucks he's gonna just waste another year

18. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not convinced he is going to be "wasting" a year if he goes back to Duke (and I am not 100% sure he is going back to Duke).

But even if he is going to stay at Duke for one more season, he's going to be exceptionally busy the next 12 months. Assuming he remains at Duke through the U-20 WC, this is his schedule based on historical U-20 scheduling.

He has one more U-20 camp in 3 weeks (for about 10 days) for about 2-3 games.

Then he'll have a full season at Duke for about 20 games (23 including preseason).

Almost immediately after the season, he'll have another U-20 camp for about 3 games.

Then he will have U-20 World Cup qualifying starting in February which is 6 games

If they qualify, there will be another U-20 camp in March for about 2-3 games

Then he will have Duke spring season which will probably get him 3-4 games

There might be another U-20 camp in April for 2-3 games

Then in May there will pre World Cup friendlies along with the U-20 WC which could get him 6 games.

He's not going to play in every game but there is a real chance as a regular for the U-20 team that he sees 45-50 games thru next June. It makes sense if he wants to keep his professional options through the U-20 World Cup where he could be available to any foreign team without a transfer fee. Top flight NCAA soccer is not first team professional soccer but it is probably more minutes than he'd see with a reserve team somewhere.

What's best for him is finding the right fit in terms of a pro team. . If it is not there yet, why fight it? He's not going to be rotting until next June and if he plays well, he should have more doors open for him.

19. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #19 ChuckMe92, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    Trialed in France with Bob Bradley's Le Havre, which was so very close to getting promoted to Ligue 1 this past season. He played in the second half of a friendly vs. 3rd-division Paris FC. Ebobisse is expected to continue trialing elsewhere in Europe.

According to the article, he was born in France and raised in the US.

http://www.paris-normandie.fr/sport...us-d-un-defi-a-relever-CC6400127#.V5Vtm_krLX4

20. Saginawchip

Saginawchip Member

Jul 2, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I'm no expert on work permits but if he was born in France wouldn't that help him significantly in signing in Europe?

21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Only in France. In other places, they hate those snooty types.

(I kid, I kid --- anywhere in Europe, up the Belorussian borders, he is one of their own)