Jere Longman piece on the team & cup

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by defensewins, Aug 19, 2007.

1. defensewins

defensewins Member

Nov 15, 1999
    linked from ooosa.soccer.com:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/19/s...n&ref=playmagazine&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin

Interesting quotes:

“I think we would rival and potentially beat the '99 team,” Wambach says. “They had a lot of experience, but these players played at a much higher level at a younger age. This team is way deeper and a harder team, more physical. Technically speaking, this team has the edge.”
    ---------------
    When forward Heather O'Reilly tried to organize clinics to help promote the World Cup team, one youth coach declined, saying, “No one knows who you are.”
    ---------------
    Coach Ryan gets credit for a light-on-the-reins approach. A former player in the North American Soccer League, he has created an atmosphere that's seemingly more relaxed and accommodating than the one under his predecessor, April Heinrichs. Heinrichs played forward for the 1991 World Cup champions and coached the women to gold in the 2004 Olympics, but she was known to be rigid and too much of a micromanager.

“I think we were afraid to make mistakes,” Lilly says.

Ryan says that the women may have felt they were treated more like college athletes than like players on the national team. “I try not to overcoach them, and to give them freedom to express themselves on the field,” he says.

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the fyi. I don't like the "best team you've never heard of" marketing angle for this team but no one's ever suggested the USSF is run by marketing genuses (what is the correct plural form of genus?)

Didn't know the bit about the NK keeper kicking a ref last year vs China. Interesting. If NK loses their cool early on, things could get interesting...

3. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    A 2007 vs. 1999 team would be an interesting comparison. How well would Lilly match up against Lilly?

Edge to the '99 team on defense and at midfield (they had Akers and Fawcett, after all), but edge to the '07 team on the front line (who would you rather have, Hamm, Parlow and Milbrett or the Wombat, HAO and Lloyd?).

The more important question is, USA v. the world. In '99, it was the USA. In '07, who knows? It starts soon!

Anyone else note the irony of playing against a member of the axis of evil on 9-11?

4. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Just don't let Bush know. He might get confused and start another war.

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Abby, O'Reilly, Lloyd front line vs Hamm, Parlow, Milbrett?

Easy. Hamm, Parlow, and Milbrett.
    a) Milbrett had unique skills and ability to unlock a defense which, unfortunately, we don't have right now. I really think she's under appreciated/recognized.
    b) Lloyd is good but we don't yet know if she'll be great and she doesn't play on the front line. And, frankly, Hamm was better at a withdrawn forward/A-mid than Lloyd at this point. Although, Hamm didn't get as much of an opportunity to play that role during the April years.
    c) O'Reilly's production is debatable (low goals per cap %) for her particular role. That could change this cup or not. Parlow has a better %. (at least in my quick and dirty search)
    d) Did I mention Milbrett? She deserves to be mentioned again...

Let's wait 'til after this cup to compare. I do like Tarpley in that 3rd forward spot.

7. mercersoccer

mercersoccer New Member

Aug 27, 2007
    Lloyd is a dynamic midfielder, that has a combination of speed, attacking skill on the ball, and powerful shot the likes of which women's soccer may never have seen before. She is also physical and tenacious defender.

Greg Ryan just needs to let her play so she can reach her full potential. At Algarve against the best teams in the world, Lloyd revealed what her game can be, and for those two weeks was probably the best player in the world. She's the kind of player that makes everyone around her better, which is why Abby has said time and time again that Carli needs to be on the field if they are going to win the WC.

Lloyd has the best shot at becoming the next Mia. Let's see if Greg Ryan lets it happen.

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    re: sentence I put in bold--Akers had a cannon, an absolute cannon.* Lloyd has a hard shot and perhaps the hardest on the current team.** There is a difference. I've only seen her a handful of times but I've not seen a shot from her that is Akers's level of power. Did you actually see Algrave matches? I did not so I will gladly change my opinion if she rips several this cup.

Lloyd has not yet played in a WWC or Olympics. I sincerely hope she reaches her full potential but I'm not ready to say our tourny hangs on one player--and one that hasn't played in a cup. Oh, and I've missed the plethora of interviews where Abby says Lloyd is the key to winning the cup. Not that I don't like her as a player. I do.

Oh and can we please stop trying to anoint someone the next (insert great player here)? Each player has their own unique abilities and style. IMO, we short change them by constant comparisons to those that went before because doing so ignores their ability become something new. climbs down off soapbox

*Geez, I feel old. Please tell me others out there remember Akers when she was Akers-Stahl? or how about just Akers? Anyone? Beuhler?
    **I actually don't know if this statement is true or not. The statement's veracity doesn't actually impact my argument here.

9. soccermum

soccermum New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Or Michelle "Aeresol" as she was sometimes referred to. And while we're at it, maybe Abby can be the coach and the star player.

Seriously, I have been a bit surprised that Lloyd has not started these last few games. Part of me wonders if Ryan has been holding back a little so as not to show his full hand to potential WC opponents or other teams that are scouting us. I really couldn't come up with any other reasonable explanation that Boxx sat out the whole Norway match.

10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got it. Pick one (or more) from this list: She's recovering from a year's absence and hadn't quite gotten that 1/2 step back. She played other games, and he didn't want to run her into the ground (or risk injury) too soon. He needed to see what the team would look like w/o her in the worst case scenario that she was suspended due to card acumulation. Of course, I could be wrong on all accounts and she didn't play b/c she'd missed curfew and been caught out drinking/clubbing the night before. I am kidding. Hyperbole, people.

I was surprised that Abby didn't sit one of the earlier friendlies--just to see. Maybe she would have if O'Reilly hadn't separated her shoulder & twisted her knee.

11. soccermum

soccermum New Member

Sep 24, 2006
    I was thinking that it would be important to test her against the toughest pre-WC opponent to see if she was really back.

12. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    LMAO

:D

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotcha. That makes sense, too.

14. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the '07 crop has the best defense and the '99 crop had better forwards. we currently rely too much on wambach and not enough on quick plays. I remember in '99 there were absolutely beautiful through balls and 1-2 passes that split open defenses.

'07 is a more fit overall than the '99 team, but the '99 team is heads and shoulders above the '07 team in terms of creativity. This current team is a hardworking, bulldogging team.

If I had to pick from the '99 team and the '07 team:

---Wambach-----Milbrett
    -------------Mia----------
    -----Akers--Boxx--Chalupny
    Whitehill---Fawcett(03)--Markgraf('07)---Mitts
    -------------Scurry('99)-------------

Bench
    Tarpley
    Parlow
    O'rielly
    Lloyd
    Lilly(07)
    Boxx
    Overbeck
    Osborne(07)
    Solo

It was hard benching lilly, but the other forwards and mids are just too good to sit. I know some of you might question my decision to start chalupa, but that girl has got SKILLZ to the MAX! IMHO, she's better at cutting than Mia was, has the best ball control on the team and has excellent form shooting from afar.

15. speedoblobb

speedoblobb New Member

Sep 1, 2003
    CHAPEL HILL
    Nice fantasy games. With our first game coming up in 9 days we maybe need to get more serious and consider that we must have a great month from Wambach. As to who will be her successor will be is a moot point.