jens lehmann

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by redalert101, Apr 6, 2004.

1. redalert101

redalert101 New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Streets of Florida
    i think he needs to be fired or something. He cant catch the ball. when chelsea scored the first goal it absolutely his fault. instead of grabbing it he hacked at it. even in video games he cant catch it. can we just send him back to germany.

2. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    Arsenal have played 45 games (EPL, CL, FA Cup). In those 45 games the team has allowed more than 1 goal only 5 times. That's 11%, or put another way, in 89% of their games Arsenal have held their opponents to one or zero goals.

Yes, Lehmann is the problem.

3. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think he is fine, just when he messes up it is crucial. I also believe that you never really realize how much you miss someone until they are gone........SAFEHANDS.....WHERE ARE YOU??????? LOL.

4. juice013

juice013 New Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Toronto
    Yes, when he messes up, it is crucial. How much is Frey rated at again?

5. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Bring back David Seaman... ha ha ha just kidding. Seriously though, if we have only conceeded one or less goal(s) per game in 89% thats pretty good, but if you think about it, our defense has been more then stellar all year. Of course Lehmann is due some of the credit, but I give more credit to our defense, because when they dont play well, we wont win (ex: today). Lehmann is kind of inconsistant and somewhat of a hothead which I dont mind personally, but I think it is a bit early to be calling for his head. With that said, he has f!ucked up the last 2 games against Chelsea, so....

6. redalert101

redalert101 New Member

Jan 14, 2004
    Streets of Florida
    how many goals they give up isnt all about saves. Tell me how many saves he averages per shot first.

7. RuffRyder

RuffRyder New Member

Sep 15, 2003
    I say bring in Rustu, hopefully him and Wenger wont get into spat this time.

8. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    no no no. not rustu. he has achieved nothing at barca. he is unreliable, comes up with some big saves, but then lets in easy ones, and he is injury prone

9. RuffRyder

RuffRyder New Member

Sep 15, 2003
    He is not injury prone at all, he has achieved nothingbecause he has not played.

10. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
  11. yankeeSOT

yankeeSOT New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    San Francisco
    Fire sale at Parma, Frey would probably go for 5 million or so.

12. RuffRyder

RuffRyder New Member

Sep 15, 2003
  13. BayouGooner

BayouGooner New Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    I can't think of one game where Lehmann has pulled one out of the fire for us. Anytime his name his name is even mentioned, it is in a negative context. Get him out of the squad. His performances against Chelsea alone justify him being dropped from the squad--forever.

14. N*E*R*D

N*E*R*D New Member

Apr 6, 2004
    Ireland
    Lehmann is an arrogant b@stard. Sorry, but it's true. I think Arsenal could do better with another goalkeeper. Lehmann is a red-card waiting to happen, in my opinion.

15. CDNGooner

CDNGooner New Member

I'm not so fussed about Lehmann . . . I think he's pretty good. Can't really fault him for the 2 goals. Well maybe he should've palmed the ball away on the first one but Makelele's shot was pretty vicious and no one really picked up on Lampard running in.

There are some keepers who make simple things look spectacular . . . I think Lehmann's positioning is good and he's not the "showy" type of keeper. That being said, I would have loved to see Lehmann make that save against Bridge. Maybe that would've raised Arsenal's spirit up. When the play starts running against you and the keeper basically steals the game by stopping all shots. But you get what you pay for and I don't think you can consider Lehmann one of the top keepers in the world.

I can't see him replacing Kahn on the NT though at Euro 2004 unless Kahn screws up badly.

16. CDNGooner

CDNGooner New Member

Yeah, I'm trying to remember too - basically, I would like to see Lehmann stealing a game for us and I can't recall if he has. Seaman in his heyday stole games. Man, Seamo had that wicked finger tip save in the FA Cup but the long rangers killed him. However, the last time I was this depressed was when England lost to Brazil at the WC . . . we all know what happened there.

Lehmann may have to steal a game for us this weekend. Or maybe start one of the backups like Stack for one of the games?

17. phillys

phillys New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Malaysia, SE Asia
    Lehmann is good... Where would arsenal's unbeaten run be without him? Think.

18. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    There's alot of good American keepers on the cheap...

19. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This bloke is a complete muppet. A complete ********ing arsehole. I agree with many of the sentiments above, especially that you don't realise what you've got until it's gone. Lehmann should have caught Makelels's shot and if he is going to parry it, put it to the side and not back into play. Chelsea scored three times in the Champions League tie and two of them were Lehmann's fault. He flaps at crosses, kicks poorly and has a temperement problem as displayed by pushing over Ronaldo, throwing the ball at Phillips etc. How he hasn't been sent off this season is beyond me. Seaman was completely unflappable, commanded his area and very, very rarely parried a ball back into play. Yeah, he started to go as he got older, but for those of us who remmeber him in his prime, probably only the greats of the modern game like Shilton, Clemence, Kahn and Schmeichel can compare. Every keeper makes mistakes, but most of Lehmann's are completely preventable.

Get rid of him now! If they really think Taylor is the answer he should start next season. Otherwise buy another keeper. Not Rustu or Frey though. Both are way overrated, Rustu mostly by the media and Frey by himself.

20. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    While it is natural to look for a focus for the disappointment, the equalizer was a similar goal in many repects to the goal we conceeded against Porto that saw the end to our Champs League and many blamed Howard for this too. However although Lehmen was at fault as with our goal, where were the defenders following in? They have to shoulder as much of the blame as does the lack of closing down of Makalele.

Again as with Howard and our defense, when the people in front of him are playing nervously as Arsenal were in the second half, how can you expect the keeper to be unaffected?

Lehmen is an OK keeper but not great, however not fair for him to shoulder the blame for this defeat. The second half performance by the whole team was the reason.

21. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    need to get rıd. Not only cant he catch a cross but hes addıng to arsenals unsavoury and unsportsman lıke ımage a la throwıng balls at peoples heads..arguıng wıth refs...shoutıng at Ruud pushıng c ronaldo etc.

22. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    I know Lehmann hasnt saved a game for us this season.. he stops your avg shots, lets in the tough ones.. how many saves this year did you say to yourself "wow, i cant believe he got that one".. i seriously can't think of one...
    and then you can add on his blunders, his hot head moronic actions, ect
    AW prolly see's this as well so I reckon we have a change in goal for next season...... lets hope~

23. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    The need for a scapegoat never ceases to amaze me. I knew the second that Chelsea scored the equalizer folks would be calling for his head.

It's not 100% Lehmann's fault Arsenal lost. Let's talk about finishing chances (or the lack, thereof) before we string up the goalkeeper, OK?

[size=-2]”We may be undefeated in the league, but we just can’t beat Manchester United” – Coach McGuirk[/size]

24. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    coach, if we dont let those blunders in, we win both legs.. i spoze not taking your chances is a blunder, but Lehmann has been consistently doing this (dont even bring up that leeds/viduka goal)... he doesnt just suck, he just is too inconsistent....

25. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    To add a bit of sanity to the moping, if we called for Cudicini's head after every time he screws up in a big game, he'd have been fired at least twice now. Including against you!
    I think Lehmann was unlucky in the first leg (how often does that kind of a deflection go RIGHT to the striker?), and Makelele's shot was harder than it looked. He's not the greatest goal-keeper in the world, but you don't need one; your defense has been very solid this year.

I think your failure to stop our runs along the flanks after Gronkjaer came in was a lot more telling. Its not like Ambrosio had a blinder against you.