Jemal Johnson update

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Sandon Mibut, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    meant to post this here the first time but it being the middle of the night, I first posted it on the youth national team board. Anyway...

After seeing his name mentioned by US Soccer for the first time in a mid-week report about youth national teamers in Europe that Mooch Myernick had scouted, I looked up to see how Jemal Johnson is doing at Blackburn.

For those that don't know, Jemal is a forward and attacking mid who was born in New Jersey in 1984 and has lived in England most of his life. He was originally in ManUnited's youth academy but latched on with Blackburn a couple of years ago.

Johnson is doing fairly well, playing for Blackburn's U19 team.

He has started all 12 games for a team that is 3-4-5 and has scored 13 goals.

Of those 13 strikes, Johnson has scored four of them and set up one more by drawing a PK that was described on the Bburn site as "well deserved."

Jemal scored twice against Sheffield United Sept. 20, once against Wolverhampton OCt. 25 and, last Saturday, scored against ManUnited. I forgot to mark down which game he drew the PK!

Apparently he's pretty fast and likes to take guys on 1-v-1.

That's about all I got. As he has played in every U19 game, I can only assume he hasn't played up with the reserves yet.

Also, because he was born in 84, I have to figure this is his last year of being eligible for the U19 team. So, he basically has to show well enough this season to earn a professional contract and play with the reserves next year, or he will be cut loose.

2. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Thanks for the update!

I look every now and then, but it's hard to find information on the YAs on Youth teams.

Very much appreciated.

So forget about some of the bigger named youngsters... Jemal Johnson and Kenny Cooper up top for 2010.
    :D

Just kidding, had to put the obligatory "destiny" comment.

All I hope is that Jemal continues to develop and can break into the first team sometime in the next year or 2.

3. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Sounds like Frankie Hejduk and Cobi Jones.
    Question is... does he actually "beat" anyone 1v1? :p

On the serious side... Anyone heard if Blackburn are earmarking him as a future player?

From what I've learned about youth teams abroad, success in the youth ranks does not always mean they are looking for you to be a player on the first team down the road. Sometimes they see potential, sometimes they see you as quality for the youths, but maybe not having what it takes to play in the Premier League and will shop you to lower divisions. Not that there is anything wrong with a pro career in Div 1 or 2 mind you.

So... Anyone know what Blackburn thinks of his future?

4. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Does he have any interest in being a Y? If he's lived most of his life in England, I'd think he'd rather play for them. Anybody know what his interest is in wearing the Stars n Stripes? (yes, I know our jersey has no stars or stripes, but I'm holding out hope for a return to the '94 jersey).

5. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No offense to Jemal, but I don't think he would have a chance on the England national squad.

I guess I may be saying that the England squad is more selective than USA, but I think it is true. Johnson may have a great run for the USA if given the chance, same is true for England. BUT, he is far more likely to receive that chance from Bruce than Sven, IMO.

I hope he choses USA, and for Blackburn's sake, I hope he does well there and makes it into the first team. I did read today at Skysports.com that Souness believes if a young player is going to make an impact, it has to start at the age of 18 or 19, so the clock may be ticking.

6. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Re: Re: Jemal Johnson update

I think he's scored in the last reserve game. Not sure whether or not he's good enough, but in Blackburn's current position, we can only afford to try out one young striker, which is Paul Gallagher. If Blackburn can secure a very safe mid table place soon, you may see him come off the bench towards the end of the season, along with 1 or 2 other young players.

The two Blackburn sites worth viewing for reserves/youth teams are:

1. www.rovers.co.uk (Official site, need to register to access news)
    2. www.brfcs.biz (Unofficial site, and better than the official site. No need to register for news).

7. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think there's any shame in us admitting the following:

a) The England squad is probably a little better than ours.

b) The England squad is almost certainly _much_ deeper than ours, but this is a problem we're finally now making some good headway on.

Both of those things contribute heavily to Johnson likely having a better shot with us.

But for the senior team obviously not until he's playing first team _somewhere._

8. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Match report from a reserves match between Rovers and Wolves (from brfcs.com)

I'm a registered member for the B'burn website, looking over the U19 reports, Johnson's name gets mentioned alot, maybe that is why he played with the reserves a few days ago.

9. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
  10. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy chit, Batman! Have we found another Beasley lurking in Blackburn? This kid needs to be explored by the U-20s, U-23s, and perhaps Da Bruce.

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Re: Re: Jemal Johnson update

So, was this the first time JJ (and ya just know what nickname he's gonna have to have with those initials) played with the reserve team? That would be pretty cool to score a goal in your debut at that level.

Also, when was this reserve team game?
    So, assuming this is correct, that would be six goals, plus one PK earned in 14 U19 games and one goal in one reserve team game.

Those are pretty good numbers. Hopefully they're good enough to get him more action with the reserve team and to get a pro contract next year.

12. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    Re: Re: Re: Jemal Johnson update

No, I don't.

13. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  14. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I was thinking JJ the Jet Plane (or is it Jay Jay?).

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Young Jemal - I mean "Kid Dy-No-Mite!" - seems to have carved a spot in the starting lineup of Rovers reserves.
    After the game against Wolves where he scored, he started last Wednesday (Nov. 19) in a 1-1 draw with Sunderland.

He didn’t score but drew this comment from the official write up of the game. “A new strike partnership of Jemal Johnson and Jonathan Douglas caused early problems for the Black Cats but two chances went narrowly wide.

And…

On 29 minutes Gary Harkins broke through but was denied a goal by a great block from Ingram. Following up, Johnson hit the crossbar.” (Doh!!!)

http://www.rovers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/ReserveNewsDetail/0,,10303~453295,00.html

And, Johnson is expected in the starting lineup tonight when Rovers reserves play at Leeds. Former Italian international Dino Baggio is expected to play in MF for B’burn.

Academy prospect Jemal Johnson will again lead the line, with versatile Irishman Jonathan Douglas in support.” – I have no idea what “lead the line” means but it can only be good!

http://www.rovers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/ReserveNewsDetail/0,,10303~455266,00.html

First of all, it’s nice to see Blackburn reward Johnson with reserve team games after he showed well with the U19 team. And, if he continues to show well with the reserves, you have to like his chances to see some first team time later in the season, either in early round League and FA Cup games or in regular season games after – hopefully – Rovers have officially avoided relegation.

Finally, hard to believe this kid never got a look from Rongen. Maybe Mooch will look at him with the 23s in either their December or January camp.

16. highlander

highlander Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BigSoccer has got to be one of the coolest sites on the internet. Great work, Sandon. Between this thread and the "Yank in Torino" thread, I can't think of a more productive soccer website on the internet. It should be required reading for all US national team coaches. No smiley face. I really mean it. Unbelievable.

17. Sandon is the real deal and who's to say US national team coaches don't check it out here? :D
    I know several who do.

Remember too, it's the people from all over the world who contribute here that make it the place to be.

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way they say Douglas will be "in support" makes me wonder if it means JJ plays as an out-and-out striker, while Douglas plays behind.

20. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Yeah, that sounds about right. Think Shearer and Sheringham in Euro '96. The fact Paul Gallagher is now getting more and more exposure at full level shows that Jemal could make it in the next season or two.