Jemal Johnson at Southend

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Leedsunited, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    Re: Jemal Johnson joins MK Dons

Wolff and Eddie Johnson had call-ups before without deserving it. Why not Jemal Johnson? We need fresh blood

2. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Beasley comparison is decent, but not without flaw. Jemal has one glaring strength that Beasley lacks - the ability to absolutely paste the ball from distance (30 yards). I've never seen Beasley do that. As m vann accurately points out, Jemal can crack it from deep with accuracy. That is a rare skill in our pool.

I disagree with one element of m vann's post: I think Beasley is the better crosser. DaMarcus' crossing is actually fairly underrated. Jemal serves a nice dead ball which is how he's earned about 3-4 of his assists this season, but I'd give the slight edge in crossing to Beasley.

Beasley is also a better defender and will give more of an effort on the defensive end than Jemal.

That said, aside from the elements I've pointed out, stylistically they are somewhat similar. Both rely heavily on speed and play at a fast pace. Jemal doesn't have a bunch of tricks up his sleeve on the ball, but he simply knows how to get past defenders with his pace, and from what I've seen, he seems to maintain close control on the ball.

Don't get any illusions that we're suggesting Jemal is in any way a better player. Beasley deserves to be where's at, but I think Jemal Johnson has the ability to be an asset in our pool.

3. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005

JJ and JPP upfront for the gold up would be crazy. Both have a lot of pace and know where the net is. I can dream.

4. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ

When you dream, do you really dream about English third division players?

5. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

But....But.... they are fast black guys!!!!! They must be good!!!!

6. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ

My apologies, JPP is actually in the English 4th Division.

7. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005

Isn't the gold cup around the same time was WC qualifying? Why shouldn't guys like JJ get a shot. He deserves it. I hope Bob is watching him.

8. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ

There are two world cup qualifiers in early June. Then the Conferderations Cup will commence. The Gold Cup is in July, then World Cup qualifiers will pick up in early August.

I would imagine that BB will let the first teamers rest or go back with their clubs instead of playing them in the Gold Cup. That will open up spots for fringe players to get called in, and I'm sure Jemal would have a shot. However, Bob knows that having a legion of fully fit, in-season players in tune with his system will be a must for Azteca, as the core members of the team will be in pre/early season.

Ergo, I think the Gold-Cup is probably going to be very MLS-heavy, and light on the lower divsion euro prospects.

9. Alex_1

Alex_1 Member

Mar 29, 2002
    Zürich
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland

The next "Gold Cup" is technically a nothing tournament, right? That is, Confederations Cup qualifying isn't at stake?

10. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005

I think it is. Thats why I'm saying why not give some of these lower league guys and mls players a shot. Give them a few caps and give the regulars some rest/time off.

11. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Why would you play Johnson up front? He's been playing on the wing with MK Dons for the last year+.

12. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU

I would love to this kid play on the right of midfield, or more second half withdraw striker. His finishing sucks, but his dribbling is amazing and his long-range shots. Hopefully, Bradley gives Jemal a chance in the Gold Cup.

13. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Huh?

14. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU

I watch some highlights where Jemal miss alot sitters.

15. DC_United

DC_United Member

May 8, 2008

Just got back from England and seeing the MK Dons Saturday! Didn't know about this kid until than and was going to start a thread.

Just a few pointers about him at least from the game: the crowd seemed to like him and called him JJ which is a good sign because it says he's performing up to the standards of the fans. Secondly he played on the left wing and was able to whip in a couple crosses so although he took the corner with his right he's able to use both feet decently. I didn't see any shots as he only played 8 minutes but he did get a few dribbles in and he had some pace (not the speed some on here claim he has like lightening) and was able to hold off defenders. He constantly moved around the flank and toward the middle and was always calling for the ball so he was confident. He lost it once that I can remember but wasn't given much in the way of passes.

All in all he looked decent but at 23 and in League 1 unless he really develops I can't see him getting near the national team from the first look. Albeit MK look like they're heading up this season to the Championship and I'll have my Uncle send me some reports when he sees the matches (I stayed with him hence the reason he took me to a game).

16. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL

I wish there was a :sigh: face.....

17. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I watch some highlights where Jemal scores wonder goals that no one else in our pool seems capable of.

18. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ

Except for Donovan, Dempsey, Klejstan, Cooper, Rogers etc.

19. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

olephill2 was refering to JJ's ability to score and take chances from distance. All of the guys you mentioned have scored from distance but probably not at the clip JJ has. It's not necessarily a strength of those guys, side from maybe Dempsey, and it is one of JJ's best assets. I wouldn't mind having a player in our pool with those attributes. JJ has had a very good season and might be worthy if a call-up this summer. We'll see how things pan out over the rest of the season for him. JJ, in all likelihood, will be a Championship player whether MK Dons are promoted or not.

20. DLee

DLee Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Chicago

Rep for making me laugh out loud...

21. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

m vann captured my thoughts. I was referring not to JJ's ability to score goals, but his ability to unleash absolute rifles from distance. Save for Donovan's third goal against Ecuador in 2007 and Robbie Rogers' awesome shot from deep against NYRB last season in MLS, I've not seen anyone in our pool tattoo the ball from distance the way Jemal Johnson has shown the capability to do repeatedly.

That alone makes him unique in our pool and in my opinion worthy of a call-up, even if he is a League One player.

22. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA

That's a Bradley strength.

He may be doing well, but let's consider -- in the current national team, Freddy Adu's barely there. This is some serious competition.

23. Flipstar508

Flipstar508 Member+

Sep 7, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:rolleyes:

24. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But JJ has something Freddy doesn't.

Regular PT[/rim shot]

Sorry, I couldn't help it. I'm a smart@ss. Back to lurking...

25. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

that's b/c they are too scared to possibly waste chances... i would love a field player who'd rip a shot from distance... if anything it could lead to a rebound shot....

Clark likes to take long shots, not always accurate, but he'll rip it if given the chance..

Bradley will take a rip from time to time...