Jemal Johnson at Southend

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Leedsunited, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Jemal Johnson joins MK Dons

Nope. Wish he had a guy that an climber like Ince thought he needed to take with him.

Jemal Johnson is an American citizen and scored one very good goal. That's about it. He just doesn't seem to be that good.

2. Martino2Buddle

Crystal Palace
    United States
    Dec 12, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I realized you said that tongue-in-cheek but I actually was thinking the same thing. Hopefully he showed Ince enough to be brought along with him. The guy is still young, has pace, can play with both feet, and can score some great goals. Irregardless he should at least be playing in the Colaship.

3. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Because they go to youtube and see that one goal that he scored that one time in that one game, plus he plays in England, so he must be great, right? He has absolutely no chance of playing for the NT at this point.

5. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My comment was totally tongue-in-cheek, and I think Jemal has virtually no chance at playing in the Premiership, especially for a club as good as Blackburn.

6. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

"John Barnes will be annouonced as the manager of MK Dons soon." (http://www.football-rumours.co.uk/)

Who knows how accurate this is, but just thought I'd through it out there. He didn't have much success managing Celtic, if memory serves. Currently serving as a scout for Sunderland.

7. Martino2Buddle

Crystal Palace
    United States
    Dec 12, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In his defense, he played out wide an awful lot for the Dons last season. All stats aside I've seen him play everytime he's been on TV with Blackburn, Wolves and the Dons, and I like what I see. I like his combination of pace, ball skills, and ability to take people on.

8. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Curious if you've watched Jeremiah White at all for AGF Aarhus? White has been described in a very similar manner, and I wonder if you could compare the two (only if you've seen much of White, obviously).

9. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007

I'll take a quick stab,

Johnson is a much more physical presence, better in the air, has excellent acceleration, decent first touch, and a better shot. White is a better passer, decent crosser, ok first touch and seems to have better vision (at least in my opinion).

From what I've seen White has the edge on dead ball strikes. Hard to say who's faster but both can turn and burn. I'd give the edge to White in overall speed, but Johnson has a fury of a burst. White is also better on the dribble, but can be pushed off at times. Johnson holds the ball up decently.

Both have experienced promotion success, but you probably knew that.

Ironically, I haven't seen quite as much of Johnson, even though he plays here, but I've seen both quite a bit.

Not to be redundant but the differences between the two are essentially those that exist between a striker and wide midfield player. I'd say White is a bit more similar in style to Charlie Davies (If you've seen him play) even though Davies usually plays farther forward.

10. Martino2Buddle

Crystal Palace
    United States
    Dec 12, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have only seen Jeremiah play one time and that was the 10 minute or so sub appearance he had for the Nats; not nearly enough to go on I'm afraid.

11. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A bit of a random reason to drag up an old thread, I suppose, but I just came across this screamer of a goal from Jemal Johnson while he was with Wolverhampton:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sxuFsx1g9s

Thought some of you might enjoy it. :)

12. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Jemal didn't score today (well at least during the game), but he did serve up the Dons only goal from his corner.

13. new_skin

new_skin Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Boston
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Didn't Jemal sign a 2-year contract with the Dons? If so, shouldn't he be looking either at signing a new one, or potentially moving on?

14. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York

yeah he signed summer 07 and his contract is up this summer. If they're heading to championship next year, i dont see why he wont be part of the team.

15. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York

If MK Dons can keep winning, it's pretty amazing. They were in league 2 last year and they can possibly jump to Championship next year. I dont remember any clubs that have done something like this in awhile.

16. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, it would be impressive... I know Cardiff went up from teh thrid division to 2nd division in the 00-01 season before being promted again via playoff two years later in 02-03. Brighton also did it directly and in real impressive form, winning the old 4th division in 00/01 and then winning the 3rd division in 01/02. Both teams wer eled by young forwards who did make it to the EPL... Robert Earnshaw and Bobby Zamora.. of course earnshaw struggled in the EPL.

17. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU

I always felt the kid was more of attacking midfielder, with speed and how beats two or three defenders in some highlights. Just his finishing sucks like most Americans.

18. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Jemal's been playing primarily as a winger this season, and if you watch highlights of some of his goals, he's scored a few beauties. Excellent shot power, and his goals have been well-placed.

19. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU

I watch Jemal's highlights: scoring from outside or beating many defenders, but also missing sitters. Too bad Jemal never got a chance with US youth teams, I felt he could been use more as attacking midfield type, not up front.

20. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, if he's ever going to crack the US senior team, his best chance is probably as a winger, because his competition for the speedy striker role is pretty intense. We have a dearth of true right wingers and have often deployed hybrids at the position (Dempsey, Donovan). If Johnson can move up to the Championship level and continue to be productive at that level, he'll become an option at the position for the Nats.

21. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Jemal frustrated with Dons talks

http://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/sport/Jemal-frustrated-with-Dons-talks.5038839.jp

Very informative article, including some hints about his national team future and some clarification on his transfer interest from January.

22. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Can anyone say Gold Cup? He deserves his shot I believe. He's a consistent performer for his club.

23. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It refreshing to know that there is some sort of communication between Jemal and USSF. I was afraid he might of been an afterthought. I guess I can squash that notion for now. JJ should be in contention for a call-up. He's earned it and I don't think the praise he's received is any fluke. Hopefully, the summer Jemal will get the call from Bob. It certainly couldn't hurt to see him up close.

24. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999

sounds good. He sounds like a right-footed Beaz, from the descriptions of his game. Can anyone who has seen him comment?

25. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Admittedly, most of the matches I have seen of his were prior to his arrival at MK Dons but I have seen one full game and a large part of another this season. Numerous extended highlights have help me develop some conclusions about his game. I would say a right-footed Beasley is a fair assessment. However, JJ is a better pure crosser of the ball. He can put it right on the money and often from a dead sprint with the ball. JJ does have that DMB speed element to his game and is built in a similar way. I assume he can bounce off and fend off tackles like DMB as League One can sometimes have a rough and tumble approach. What I do like about Jemal is his ability to absolutely tattoo the ball from distance with accuracy. He's willing to pull the trigger from anywhere usually with positive results. I remember reading from his Blackburn days he did this. So it's not something new. Very few players in our pool can hit a ball with pace and accuracy from distance. It's been a gripe of mine that we don't cease opportunities to have a go from distance that often. It's hard to say exactly how good his touch or ball skills are but from what I've been able to pick up is that Jemal's not one to wow you with tricks but will keep the ball close to him and can make quick cuts with his speed. I think he is finally coming into his own and at 23-24 is approaching his prime. Jemal's worth the shot to bring into camp based on what I've seen and read. I hope this helps.