Jeffries fired

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Chamo, Sep 15, 2003.

1. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see it on this thread but I presume you guys saw yesterday's MLS Confidential which also mentioned Mo Johnston (current asst.. coach for Metros) and Brian Bliss (I believe asst. coach for KC...or Crew?), both with current or former associations with HSG, are also potential candidates.

2. The Vorpal Blade

The Vorpal Blade New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    I Have
    Sometimes great players have a hard time coaching because they have so much natural talent, and that can't be passed on to or explained to a team. The second-raters do better because they have to rely on smarts rather than talent.

3. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS (read Burn) have two one-year options on Ronnie's contract. I do not know the $ value. But given Ronnie will be a SI, he will need SI money, not Trans-Int money he is on now.

I know for a fact that also out of contract with option years belonging to the Burn are Kreis, Dunseth, and Countess.

I assume there are several others as well.

4. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know 3rd, neither Bob Bradley nor Dave Sarachan did much as head coaches in college soccer, I'd be thrilled to have either coaching the Burn right now.

I have to think the SMU has got to be a much tougher sell to potential high school parade All Americans than say, Duke, Indiana, or friggin UCLA.

Oh, and what about adding Jeff Agoos to your short list of possible Burn coaches? Certainly he's got some excellent playing/captaining credentials, and I believe his still lists Dallas as his hometown.

5. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are good points. Certianly I could be wrong about Schellus.

I will add Agoos to my list, but I bet he is not done playing.

6. alansl

alansl New Member

Aug 20, 2000
    Well, I know I'm joining this late, but I think the timing of this is just stupid.

If HSG had fired MJ earlier, when Dallas still had a chance to salvage the season, it would have said to me: "We care about the performance of this team."

If HSG had kept MJ through next season, it would have told me: "We're concerned about saving money so that we'll be better prepared for Frisco stadium in 2005."

But firing him now just tells me: "We're morons. We kept MJ as coach because we actually thought he was doing a good job. Honestly, this is how long it took us to realize what all the fans and players knew all season long (and some even earlier) - that MJ's [lack of] leadership hurt the team, the individual players, and the entire organization. We don't know what we're doing, we're completely clueless."

alansl

7. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I had more room in my signature, this would be on it.

Good observation alansl(alain Sutter?)

8. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This actually looks like "deja vu all over again." The same thing happened here with the Earthquakes. We didn't get the regime change until after the most disastrous season was over, well after it was obvious that we had been cast into bottom-feeder perdition.

9. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. Had HSG failed to fire Jeffries this year, I doubt many people would have thought they were saving money so that they'd be better prepared for Frisco stadium in 2005. Instead, they would have given the impression that they cared absolutely nothing about the performance of the team, and the Burn could easily have lost a number of long-term fans, myself included.

I seriously doubt that anyone over at HSG thought Jeffries was doing a good job by the midpoint of this season. But combine HSG's frugal nature and Jeffries' decent performance as coach in his first 2 years here, and it's easy to see why Jeffries was able to last this long in his 3rd season.

HSG deserves at least some credit for biting the bullet and getting rid of Jeffries, and by doing so at this point of the season rather than waiting until the off-season, they're giving Colin Clarke a good shot at showing whether he has the right stuff to turn this team around.

10. Hevan FC

Hevan FC New Member

Aug 18, 2003
    Round Rock
    Jeffries got screwed!

11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

On July 16, after the win in New England, the Burn was exactly at midseason and was 3-8-4. That sucks, but it's sure better than where we are now. And it wouldn't have been beyond the realm of possibility to expect a meaningful turnaround. Just look at how Colorado has done since July 4.

Moreover, the guy was 15 games removed from a campaign in which the Burn had the 3rd best record in the league and challenged most of the season for the top spot. So at that point, you can make a case, albeit a shaky one, for keeping the coach.

Jeffries' problem is that he went 1-8 in the next nine games. That's what got him fired. He got his chance to turn things around, he made three trades, and the team still lost eight out of nine.