Jeffries fired

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Chamo, Sep 15, 2003.

1. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    So long as we're floating names here...

How about Tony Deccicho(sp?), fmr womens nat coach & wusa commissioner?

b4 a couple of wks ago, I was hoping for Clive Charles, but we know what happened there.

2. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    :eek:

3. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: So long as we're floating names here...

Has he coached high-level men before?

He's working at a youth club near me as coaching director.

4. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Well they play like Women, why not?

Either way, HSG has their work cut out for them....

To Do list of John Wagner....
    -Hire a new coach
    -Hire a new GM
    -Get fans back
    -Find a way to screw it all up again

5. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: So long as we're floating names here...

What about "Go back to Cotton Bowl"

6. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No kidding.

Schellas Hyndman - Makes the NCAA tournament every year, never wins the big enchilada. Sounds like the record of a guy who's working our telecasts this season.

Mooch Myernick - Did he ever do anything in Colorado that ever elevated them above mediocre-to-bad? Yeah, he got the Rapids to MLS Cup in 1997, but that was a 14-18 team that got hot at the right time.

7. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is last season's Real Madrid coach still looking for work?

Most likely the replacement will end up being a current MLS asst - which Colin Clarke is. It will be interesting to see what changes Clarke will make...I wonder how the players will repsond to him.

If his changes work - I have no problem with seeing him stay in the role on a longer term basis.

8. burn 2002

burn 2002 New Member

Dec 27, 2001
    I gotta bring up Ed Puskarich's name again. Interum coach of the Burn until MJ sent him packing. He very badly wants another shot at coaching this team. I guarentee he could get these guys motivated to win..He has spent the last two season with a winnig record with the Texas Spurs of the PDL. Try coaching those guys. It's real tuff and he did a damn good job with it..Ed for Coach!!!!

9. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    ROB has contract considerations coming up. Clarke and Morrow have a history where ROB has history. I believe they speak the same language (so-to-speak) Keep Clarke at the helm, at least until ROB signs a long term Burn contract.

I'm a selfish bastard, I know, but what can I say? He's my favorite player in the world and I want him to play where I spend most of my time. Yep, selfish.
    :D

10. inferno man

inferno man Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Texas
    Well if you don't give the reasons for this opinion then it doesn't mean very much.

11. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Re: Re: So long as we're floating names here...

yea right, we've already tried playing that card, aint gonna happen. I miss the Bowl though, I wonder how the team would play if they got to play there one more game (say vs Chicago this Saturday :D), wonder how they'd play and wonder how many more people would show up.

12. Ditto!! Actually there was a rumor back about June or July that he had talked with HSG about the job. He gets my vote.

13. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean my opinion in and of itself is not worth anything.

:0

This is big soccer! How dare you claim I should back up my opinion!

<dramatic pause>

ok serisously.

Schellus has never gotten his team over the hump. He has recruited talent, has free reign to recruit in this part of the country with little competition, and has never done anything with it except walk through his conference and then lose in the playoffs.

Mooch is a MLS re-tread. Same reason I would not want Ron Newman, Thomas Rongen, or Dave Dir. Besides Mooch will be busy next season with Olympic team.

But all that is just what I think, they will probably both be right up there on the short list.

14. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    So long as we're floating names here...

he wrote the book on it

[​IMG]

as an outsider, he would be intriguing and i legitimately think he could win.

15. ScorchedEarth

ScorchedEarth New Member

Jun 9, 2003
    i just read on www.3rddegree.com that an assistant has resigned because of the jeffries firing. that would make morrow a good candidate for that position. i'm sure steve's still a roster position, but he'd make a good tandem with clarke. yeah, if it would help keep o'brien, then i'd be all for it. especially since i don't think kreis is going to be wearing a burn jersey next season. we have to try and keep all the major talent we have. who knows, maybe ronnie will fit in even better with the roster/positional changes that have been made. and who knows what clarke might do when ronnie's at 100%... o'brien might be the focus of his attack. it might make us a dangerous team once again.

16. ScorchedEarth

ScorchedEarth New Member

Jun 9, 2003
  17. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I would have no problem if they had Morrow as a player/asst. coach for the rest of the season and then asked him to come on staff w/a chance to wait and heal up before one last season with that being Frisco when it opens. Maybe Deering and Pareja will retire and jump on board the coaching train. :eek:

18. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the Burn could promote Morrow to an Assistant Coach/Player much like Hristo Stoichkov is at DC United. Isn't part of Stoichkov's salary carried under front office expenses, thereby giving United a little extra cap space?

19. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Huh? Kreis isn't going anywhere. I'd be a lot more worried about whether O'brien will be back given the fact that this is the first option year (whatever that means) in his contract. That's what I heard at least, and I can't imagine anyone would be in a big hurry to sign up for another season at Dragon.

So whose "option" is it anyway? The player's or the league's?

20. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know he was an outstanding goalkeeper coach, but I can't find his bio to say where he coached men.

Maybe Dan Gaspar (currently with Benfica) would be a contender.

He has A-League experience, although it wasn't great, and did much better in D3 with the Wolves.

He's worked in MLS (Metrostars), Japan (Grampus 8), Portugal (Sporting Lisbon and Benfica).

21. BurnFanMan

BurnFanMan New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    El Paso
    As an outsider I have often wondered what Colin would do as coach of the team. He is the only member of the Burn coaching staff that I have spoken too and he seemed like a no bullshlt guy the kind this team needs. Now is our chance to find out, and his chance to prove he deserves the job. It sounds like he is going to pull out all the stops to convince the HSG that he is the man. Anyone know any more about him as a head coach?? Richmond or San Diego?? Seems to have a good record with those teams.
    P.S. For those of you discussing Ronnie's contract situation, it is my understand that the option is the league's. They can choose to re-up with him if they both desire, but if the league wants to keep him (no-brainer) he's as good as signed. He's really hardly played for this team because of the injury so I wouldn't be surprised if the league just picks up the option. Not what I would do but I wouldn't be surprised you know how things have been run in the past.

22. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    I think Hyndman is no. 1 on the Hunt list, whether we like it or not. No relocation cost, he'll draft that Nuñez guy, and since he's the biggest fish in College (read scholarships for aggressive parents) soccer in DFW, he'll be the guy who heads up Dallas Burn the franchise.

He'll hand pick all the coaches from u-13 to u-19, and be the local face of the team.

do I want him? let's see who else is really out there, and how the team reacts to their new coach. Then we'll see.

23. sweeper33

sweeper33 Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Back to Jeffrries:
    Have any of you ever gone to a soccer game, youth or professional, and sat stone faced, chin in hand, emotionless the entire 90+?

That's what friggin Mike Jeffries does game in/game out. Win or lose. Holy crap man, this is soccer!!!!!!! Not chess!!!!! Where's the passion?!

Mike Jeffries couldn't motivate me to run out of a burning building. He may have a knack for picking and dealing talent at a good price but even professional players have to be COACHED. It doesn't just happen on it's own. At the pro level most players possess the talent needed to compete, what is required is motivation, direction, leadership; skills Jeffries just doesn't have.

Don't feel bad for MJ, he's a professional just like the players. He knows the requirements for continued employment. He should have turned in his resignation. Now he got what he deserved.

24. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some guys who are excellent players just can't hack it as coaches. Some times you have a player who you think is a second-rater and he turns into an excellent coach. Personality more than anything else, I think.