Jefferson city/columbia skc supporters

Discussion in 'KC Supporters Clubs' started by Diego Pasley, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO
    Northbank had a great idea, so I have started this thread for Central MO people to try and stay in touch throughout the season. Hopefully we can use this one spot as a place to organize watch parties and carpooling to games as the season goes on. Still looking for suggestions on a place to gather to watch games that we cant attend in person. Any of you Columbia folks have a chance hit up some of the local bars and see if any of them are willing to carry Direct Kick.

Personallyl, I bounce around between living at Lake of the Ozarks and Jefferson City, hit Columbia at least two weekends a month, and try to make it to as many games each year as my schedule will allow. Usually have anywhere from 2-4 people drive up for games, but sometimes roll solo. We can drive up through Columbia to pick folks up for car pooling, or take the Sedalia route.

2. steviferg

steviferg New Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Columbia
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in Columbia. I'm hoping to make it to a few games in June & July. My work schedule & other responsibilities makes getting to KC for games kind of a challenge. But I would love to find a place to watch games with other supporters in Columbia.

3. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks guys. I've got a few Columbia people going already. Do you think combining Jeff City and Columbia is the best option? Locals would know better than me.

4. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO
    I think a combined group would be best. Jefferson City is light on locations and population. Most of us in JC go to Columbia for entertainment. I would say we start it as a combined group and if we find the numbers justify it we can always split it later.

5. steviferg

steviferg New Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Columbia
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sounds good to me!

6. dada3345

dada3345 Member

May 2, 2008
    in series of tubes!
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know if Flat Branch would be open to KC Watch parties? I know I've been up there to watch a few non-MLS games, and unfortunately most bars I go to in Columbia don't have TV's.

7. steviferg

steviferg New Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Columbia
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure what bars you were visiting, but most bars/pubs/restaurants in CoMo have TVs, they're just always tuned into whatever MU game is going on. Flat Branch's TVs aren't really in a convenient spot, since it's mostly a restaurant, rather than a sports bar.

I tried a tweet at Shiloh and Harpo's to find out if they get DirectKick, but didn't get a response. Might have to actually go and talk to someone.

There are dozens of bars/pubs/restaurants that might be possible, it would be good to know if anyone has approached any already, so we don't waste our time on ones that have already been ruled out.

8. dada3345

dada3345 Member

May 2, 2008
    in series of tubes!
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mostly go to places where bands are playing.

9. steviferg

steviferg New Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Columbia
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm, yeah, I guess most places turn the TVs off when they have a live band :)

10. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    We are fairly sure this Saturday's COMO/JC watch party will be at McNally's in Columbia. Exact info on that location today or tomorrow. Say Missouri wins Thursday - does anyone know what time their Saturday game would be? Is that info available?

MU Football is definitely going to be a problem this fall. Talking w/ a few of the twitter COMO people it was mentioned that maybe we could do some of the games in Jeff City that have MU conflicts and have COMO people make the trip.

Any bars there that I could try and call in Jeff City later on in the season?

11. steviferg

steviferg New Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Columbia
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yay! A location!

So far I don't see any times for the Saturday games yet. I'll keep my eyes/ears peeled and see what I can find out.

Yeah, I wondered about that. This town becomes very single-minded on MU game days. My church has even canceled Saturday night service when big games overlap (it's a campus church and God loves the Tigers).

We've got a little time to figure it out though.

12. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO
    Sorry all, I have been working a conference the last few days. I should be in Jefferson City and Columbia later this week. Looks like we have a location in Columbia. I will do some scouting in person in Jefferson City this week. Leaning towards El Jimador, see if we can get them to carry direct kick by pushing the Bravo connection. That and I figure it may be a way to expand the SKC fan base by getting the local hispanic population to take notice of the club. Will keep you posted.

13. steviferg

steviferg New Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Columbia
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're successful with El Jimador in Jeff, maybe we can try their location in CoMo also, as an alternative to McNally's if we need it. If the Latino connection seems to be the way to go, we've got several other Mexican-owned places we could try.

14. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    @KCCauldronComo is live now on twitter and Jay from McNallys has something going on facebook that I'll link soon. It would be great to get some of you guys on twitter as well.

McNally's is on for this weekend. 9:30 pm kick-off. Try to spread the word there locally to anyone you can. Do you guys have any ideas on how we can get in touch with the soccer community there?

15. steviferg

steviferg New Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Columbia
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm on twitter: @steviferg

There might be some fans in the MAC rec leagues. I have access to the ladies league email list, so I can let them know. I don't know anyone in the late night/college league or men's league. I think there's also an international league that plays there too. If anyone has contacts with any of those, might be a good place to start.

16. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO
    Leauge! What league! I need a place to play! I will get the info out to the youth coaches I know in the area and to my non-Big Soccer friends that are fans.

17. steviferg

steviferg New Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Columbia
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.wilsonsfitness.com/macsoccer.html

There's the the women's free agent league (Old Hens League), over-35 men's league (Old Farts League), men's open league, and college late night league. If you have any questions, you'll want to email Adam - abooth@soccermac.com. The new session just started last week, so there may still be teams with open spots.

I'm in the Old Hens League and love it. Kicks my @$$ on a regular basis, but in a fun way.

18. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO
    Thanks stevi!!!!!!!

19. DeftChip

DeftChip New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    Columbia, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey fellow CoMo/JC supporters,

Just wanted to introduce myself: I've been working with Jeff and Jay on getting the CoMo Cauldron off of the ground for the past few weeks. Like he said, watch party Sat night at McNally's! Hope to meet/see you there! Be sure to tell people about our twitter account as well, @KCCauldronCoMo. You can find me at @CDKoenig.

Cheers!

20. steviferg

steviferg New Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Columbia
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Facebook event, if you're trying to spread the word...

Sporting KC vs Chivas USA CoMo Watch Party http://j.mp/eIkF8w

21. dada3345

dada3345 Member

May 2, 2008
    in series of tubes!
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome, I'll be there.

22. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO
    Hey all,
    I spoke with the folks at El Jimador on Missouri Boulevard Saturday night. They are going to get direct kick. As I suspected, they are HUGE Chivas Guad fans, and by default Bravo fans. They seemed excited about the idea, even though they had no clue MLS season kicked off this week! Will keep you updated as to when they officially get the package and get things going. To their credit, the switched a tv over to the Vancouver game when I was there Saturday, and had another TV already on showing EPL games when I showed up.

How was turn out in Columbia? Sorry I couldnt make it.

23. dada3345

dada3345 Member

May 2, 2008
    in series of tubes!
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fairly decent, the only problem was we had no sound from the TV. But all in all we had a fun night. Plus we got these...
    [​IMG]

24. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Hmm I thought there was supposed to be sound at McNallys, though, at Johnnys it didn't really matter as you couldn't hear it anyway. We are trying to find out 100% if the game is on Direct Kick this week as it looks like a Telefutura game (though mlssoccer.com didn't have that information up a week ago).

Have calls in to see if we have to have Telefutura this week in markets that don't get KSMO.

25. steviferg

steviferg New Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Columbia
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turnout at McNally's was good. I counted at least 12 people over the course of the game. The coasters were cool. Lack of sound wasn't a huge issue, since we were commentating among ourselves :). I'll be out of the country for the next two games, but I'm definitely looking forward to hanging with y'all again for the Columbus game.