Jefferey Flanagan

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by rallen, Nov 7, 2003.

1. rallen

rallen New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Shawnee, Ks
    Did anyone else see the article in Flanagan's Top of the mornin' section?
    "U.S.Soccer is conducting its year-end'Best of U.S. Soccer' awards, and for some reason, Kansas City fans have been nominated as a finalist for best soccer fans. Considering the modest attendance figures around here for soccer, that may not asay much for the sport's popularity nationwide.
    Anyway, the 20 or so soccer fans out there can vote for themselves by logging on to www.ussoccer.com."

I called his phone line (816)234-4492, and left him a message that he should come to the game Saturday and find out what Wizards fans are all about. I told him he needed to come tail-gate and sit in the cauldron.

It's discouraging when the media writes or says something like this. I encourage everyone to either call him or e-mail him. Maybe he will show up.

Phone (816)234-4492
    email at jflanagan@kcstar.com

2. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    My e-mail:

I find it very insulting that you decided it was necessary to talk down about the number of soccer fans in Kansas CIty, esp. since you obviously have no idea what you're talking about. KC averaged over 15K per game this year, which was fifth in all of MLS, and is about average of most European leagues (for every Manchester United or Barca that averages 50K per game, there are clubs like Everton and Ipswitch that average 9-10K per game.) Every game there are 50-100 people per game that sit in the Supporter's Section, The Cauldron, every game, and I assure you that we're just as good and loyal fans as those of Chicago, LA and DC. We may not be as big of groups, but we're growing every year, and we're just as loud. I suggest that you come by our weekly tailgate in Lot B5 of the Truman Sports Complex and sit with us. Hell, I'll even pay your way. I'd wager to believe that you won't find any more loyal or knowledgeable fans than we.

Jace Hentges
    Kansas City Mystics Supporter's Club

3. alexchesnekov

alexchesnekov New Member

Mar 20, 2002
    Lawrence, KS
    Commendable ... but a little "fact checking" might have been nice

While true that MLS attendance was roughly comparable to many top divisions throughout Europe, the representative attendances you site are, unfortunately, just plain wrong. Manchester United and Barcelona both average _significantly_ more the 50K per game, Everton routinely pulls well over 30K, and, IIRC, the Tractors averaged just below 20K prior to getting relegated to the Nationwide:

http://www.4thegame.com/stats/attendances/

Flanagan is clearly one of those folks who assumes that just because _he_ doesn't follow a sport -- or has friends that follow it -- that no one else gives a damn about soccer. Are the Wizards as popular as the Chiefs or Royals? No. But given the basic lack of media coverage, I find 15K to be nothing short of remarkable, and a sign that the franchise _is_ making inroads.

I lived in Seattle during the height of the old North American Soccer League, and can point to the generally good media coverage of the Sounders as one of the key reasons the franchise was able to average around 20K per season from 1978-1981. I can only hope that the growth in Wizards attendance will continue next year, and hopefully result in more respect (and coverage) by the media. Unfortunately, I think it would take something like the Wizards signing David Beckham (hah!) or Freddy Adu to make Willie Jackson and his ilk jump on the bandwagon ... and attendance figures consistently in the mid- to upper 20K range to keep them there.

A soccer-specific stadium here sure would help. :)

4. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Re: Commendable ... but a little "fact checking" might have been nice

True...if it has space to roam, suitable for tailgating, edible food, ample parking, great access, a roof, 25,000+ individual seats, 50 luxury boxes, world-class press capacity, 2 jumbotrons, good turf, suburb sightlines, and is located on the convergence of 2 major freeways.

Otherwise, a SSS would just be yet another reason to consider the Wizards as a minor league team, because the stadium will be minor league compared to Arrowhead.

Or, KC could just use Arrowhead and the money could be used elsewhere for real needs. Hmmm, there's an idea.

5. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    Are you off your rocker??

Everton averages 39K
    Ipswich averages 24K

in fact the LOWEST drawing club in the Premiership is Fulham at 14.5K a year and they are in "ground limbo" sharing Selhurst Park temporarily while trying to get their stadium situation fixed

After that is Portsmout which averages 20K

I'm sure Mr. Flanagan will give a lot of credibility to your email...

6. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Nah, just drunk...and in fairness I did mean Fulham, not Everton. 'course my bad on Town. I thought they drew a lot less than that.

REgardless, if he can say there are only 20 fans in KC, then I can stretch the truth,t oo. Not like he'd now the difference.

I really should stop posting drunk.

7. rallen

rallen New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Shawnee, Ks
    Back to the basic topic. The media in the US just doesn't get it. Soccer is the most played sport in the world. Whenever there is a chance to bring this to their attention after they make stupid and ill advised swipes at soccer fans (That's us), whe need to fight back.
    So don't forget:

Jeffrey Flanigan
    Phone:(816)234-4492
    email: jflanagan@kcstar.com

Let's show him that there are more than 20 soccer fans of the Wizards.

Plus, in the weekend edition of the USA Today sports section, where they list the up coming sporting events on tv, they have a picture of Mark Chung and Kerry Zavagnin in action. The picture is only 3.25 by 2.5, but it is the biggest of 3 pictures under the fold on page three. The only bigger picture on that page is of Vijay Singh and Tiger Woods.

Remeber, let Flanagan hear from you.

8. rallen

rallen New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Shawnee, Ks
    Just finished sending Jeffrey a email. Here is what I wrote.

I was truly disappointed in your Top of the Morning comments. Especially since your employer, The KC Star is helping to support today's game by giving away free tickets. It would have been a whole lot more helpful for the Star and Wizards if you could have taken the thought, consideration and time to make a positive report on the fact that the KC Wizards fans have been chosed as one of only 6 finalists for the best soccer fans in the US. Instead, you chose to take a mis-guided, il-informed, and un-inteligent pot shot at soccer fans. It would have been a lot easier to try to build up the important playoff game that the Wizards have tonight, and let the general public know that they could come out (free on the Star) and see for themselves.
    Do yourself, your employer, the Wizards fans, and not least Lamar Hunt a favor and keep your ill advised comments to yourself.

9. KC Salty

KC Salty Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Flanagan

The man is a tool, and not a sharp one either. This is not the first time he's baited Wizards fans and it won't be the last. He loves to jab at the Wizards and their diehard fans. He doesn't dislike soccer as he claims to find the Comets entertaining. So let the baby have his bottle.

I just find it funny that while he's expressed a dislike for NASCAR he doesn't write jabs at that form of entertainment. Perhaps in addition to being a tool, he's a coward as well.

10. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've sparred with Jeffrey before over his moronic soccerbashing comments. At least he had the stones to respond to my e-mail.

Salty's right, he's still a tool though.

11. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Years ago, his comments used to bug me, years ago. Now, I just laugh. We can't change his opinions, we can only prove their stereotypes even more. I'm not saying don't do anything about him. Probably best to ignore him, but if you do respond, he's gotten 100 million e-mails before saying the exact same things over and over "You don't know what you are talking about.... Soccer is the most popular sport in the world... etc..."

Choose your battles wisely is my point.

12. KCSoccerSpot

KCSoccerSpot New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Harrisonville, MO
    Jeffrey Flatulents got my last email in 2000 before I learned my lesson. You will never change this morons mind on what sport he enjoys. What really irritates me is that he continues to enjoy a venue to voice his biased bilge to the masses.

13. rallen

rallen New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Shawnee, Ks
    No reply to either my phone message or e-mail. I think that this may call for a Flanagan boycot. Although after talking to people at the game and reading the posts, I don't think it will do any good. Maybe we should call the Sports editor. Does anyone have a contact number or email address for the Star's sports editor?

14. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing today's state edition of the local Fishwrap boggles the mind. The lead story in the Chiefs extra touted the Chiefs as the first envy of a pro sports league since the Royals' World Series win.

I think it's time to go directly to the sports editor and the marketing manager, especially considering that the "Star" was the presenting sponsor for last night's game.

That's where my letter is going.

15. SamPierron

SamPierron BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 30, 1998
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only way to respond to Flanagan is to present him with the facts and go on your merry way. It's just not worth it.

The Wizards were never the envy of MLS, not the way the Chiefs are now. More to the point, they never occupied a place in popular culture the way the Chiefs are. Dante and Priest are national media stars. Football fans envy the Chiefs not only their success, but their style, something that could never be said of the Wizards.

If the Star doesn't have good stuff late this week, then it's time to really lay it on heavy.

16. JPNutter

JPNutter New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Kansas City
    Re: Re: Flanagan

Liking that horrid sport the comets play is even more of a case that flanagan doesn't like soccer as it is far from a real footie.

17. JPNutter

JPNutter New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Kansas City
    to flanagan
    I was rather disappointed to hear of your comments made about the Kansas City Wizards fans, as I normally find your articles interesting to read. I guess what I’m wondering is why you would want to write negatively about the Wizards? Even if you don’t like soccer as a journalist one would hope you would not make personal bias affect your subject matter. If you were to use facts to back up your claims your column might hold some validity. Unfortunately for you the facts go against such claims. Their average attendance is 15,000. They are on the verge of becoming profitable. They are the third biggest professional sport in the city. Hundreds of Wizards/US National team fans went to Arrowhead at very early hours in the morning to watch the World Cup. Over 10,000 people were out at the game on Saturday even though the temperature was around freezing and all the three of the major universities around the area had football games earlier in the day. I hope next time you will be a little more objective in your writing.

18. McGinty

McGinty Member

Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    To quote someone on phog.net about the same Flanagan quip: He probably prefers competive chess.

I wouldn't mind having his job. Talk about a cake job.

19. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I've sparred with him as well.... He stopped responding one time when I basically blasted him on every point he made in an email. He was replying to every email for about a week, then I hit him with a bomb and he all the sudden stopped responding....wonder why :rolleyes:

"I'm sure you've gotten a few emails about your little soccer comments, and I'm not going to spend the time that many of them will to defend the sport of soccer in this city or in the US. I'm only going to call you ignorant. Ignorant people make ignorant comments because they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. Before you go printing something in a reliable news source why don't you try doing some research? The Wizards increased their attendance by 25% this season (the reason we are among the finalists for fans of the year) from near 12,000 per game to 15,000 per game. Enjoy these times now when you're able to poke fun at a sport simply because you don't like it, because with numbers like that its not inconceivable to see the Wizards passing the Royals in average attendance in the coming years. Then maybe your smart assed comments won't fly so well with your editors and the public that reads your misinformation.

Get informed,

Ben Cunningham"

20. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait a minute. Isn't using logic against the BS TOS? :)

21. jdouble

jdouble New Member

Jan 22, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    i emailed this to him on the 8th. In the past, i have found that star wrtiers who cover soccer tend to write you back. this guy hasn't, and i don't really expect he will.

Dear Mr. Flanagan:

Since it is quite clear that you have neither been to a Wizards game, nor do you have any idea how many people regularly attend those games, I am sure you won't mind being corrected. The 20 fans you spoke of was probably a simple type-o, no? You meant 20,000, right? The average attendance this year was somewhere around 15,000 which is nothing to laugh at given the negative media coverage the Wizards and soccer in general get in this town. People are coming to Wizards games, it's too bad you have to take every opportunity to downplay the advancements the worlds number one sport has made in the Kansas City area.

Jonathan Willmoth

22. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Oh, he replied to me.....

"If the Wizards ever top the Royals in attendance, I'll buy you the team."

I replied to him telling him to watch what he says considering that the 2003 Wizards attendance was 15,500 and the 2002 Royals attendance was 17,100. Its pretty clear to me that if the Wizards have a couple more good pushes in attendance and the Royals have a bad year or two that this is possible.

23. rallen

rallen New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Shawnee, Ks
    I still have not heard a reply from Flanagan, no do I really expect one. His loss.

24. JPNutter

JPNutter New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Kansas City
    He is a coocksucker but that is a pretty funny response.

Yours should be:

“Well you will have to save a lot from your $25,000 a year job in order to make such a purchase. Either that or do some overtime articles about the local women’s volleyball teams. “

25. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Did it ever occur to anyone that he did it on purpose to guage the expected backlash? I'm sure if the backlash ever increases beyond the standard 10-20 long e-mails touting the benifits of soccer then he will insert meanless items into his meaningless fluff column.

I would thing a more surprising reaction from his point of view is when everyone is secure enough in their sport to not respond to every idiotic poke with a stick.