Jeff Curtin

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Liviu, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    This thread is for links to articles on Jeff Curtin, reports from those who've seen him play, reports from those who know him, opinions about how he can contribute to the Fire, pics, etc...

[​IMG] (Picture from guhoyas.collegesports.com)

Fire mining for gem among five picks - chicago-fire.com ( "Jeff is very consistent, very steady and comfortable with the ball," said Sarachan. "He has size and strength to be a good defender in our league." )

Fire Select Five In Draft - thefirealarm.com ( "In four years with Georgetown, Curtin was named to the All-Big East Second Team each season and was named the team's top defender the last two as he scored 12 goals in 73 appearances with the Hoyas. Curtin was a member of the USYSA Region 1 team and was a member of the US Youth National Team player pool for two years." )

Soccer Standout Jeff Curtin Drafted 14th Overall in 2006 MLS SuperDraft - guhoyas.com ( "Curtin finished his decorated [college] career ranked among the school's top 20 with 12 career goals and 31 career points out of his defender position" )

Georgetown University Profile - guhoyas.com ( "One of the best defenders in the country and a team co-captain..." )

MatchNight scouting report -matchnight.com ( "a defender with the ability to get forward")

Two of a Kind - thehoya.com ( “I hate to admit it, but he’s the better soccer player,” Jimmy says. “He has more of the natural talent, and I’m kind of the rugged, more physical player. He has more talent, kind of more of a finesse game than I do. But I’d say he’s definitely the better player.” ... “Someday, the possibility of us playing together on the same team would be a dream come true,” Jimmy says. “Maybe we’ll end up in the same city and that’d be pretty awesome.” )

Curtin Is Set to Lead Men’s Soccer Into the Big East - thehoya.com ( "What one word people use to describe you? Laid back." )

Combine 2006: Opening Game - 3rd Degree ( "Speaking of Jeff Curtin, he's got some real size and good skillz for a big defender, but he's slow. He got beat on pace in both halves by a couple players. He manages to get enough body on people to slow them down, but that may not work in MLS."

Combine 2006: Getting Sloppy - 3rd Degree ( "Veris is nice in the air, as is Curtin (he wins quite a few clears)."

Combine 2006: Wrap Up - 3rd Degree ( "If paired with someone quick he could be a solid MLS defender, but lack of pace is a real handicap to exceling. Not quite as good as his brother I don't think." )

2. first-to-five

first-to-five New Member

Apr 5, 2005
    El Paso
    Do you think the Fire can get a SPEED coach on the staff?:rolleyes:

[Only half in jest]

3. Arsonists

Arsonists New Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Banks of Plum Creek
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United Arab Emirates
    I am just happy we have a nice pair of big beefy Curtins.

4. Dalglish

Dalglish Member

Sep 26, 2005
    Someone at the Fire told me "I don't rate him, he is too slow".

5. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, can't believe we're allowed to use the words "beef" and "curtins" next to each other in the same sentence. :)

6. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Surely he's better than Justin Moore. :rolleyes:

7. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    Hey guys, let's just wait and see. Jim Curtin has been solid most of the time for us, and people are in agreement that Jeff is a better player at this age than Jim was and that Jeff has a bigger upside than Jim had.

It's interesting that Jim wanted Jeff to come to Chicago because if Jeff succeeds, Jim will probably be benched or traded. It sounds like Jeff has about the same speed as Jim, so they're not going to be able to both play together as our centerbacks cuz it would make us way too slow at the back.

I predict that either Jeff ends up getting cut or Jim will get benched and then traded in 1-2 years.

8. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on today's Fire news, your prediction may come true sooner than you think.

9. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Honestly, WTF is the point of drafting a guys brother and then trading him away? That's just a great way to start off your relationship with Jeff...

10. Ron Keller

Ron Keller New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Shampoo-Banana
    And then Dave will purge him too.

11. KC135E

KC135E New Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Chicago IL

It is everyone out...but Saint Dave right Guppy..please get us a real coach

12. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    Relevant to Jeff Curtin:

Inside the Fire

13. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    Curtin Drafted to MLS

Bothered by a knee injury? Greeeat!

14. partycentral

partycentral Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Naperville
    The only good I see from this minor "housecleaning" is that will either prove Chan is a good coach, or expose him for what I believe he is.

15. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    That was what was already suppose to have happened last year. :rolleyes:

16. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    And we reached the semis of the league and the USOC, after things settled down a bit and everybody got used to playing together.

(Damn, I thought I was done being an apologist...)

17. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    And that was totally because we played such stunning soccer. It had nothing to do with the crappiness of the teams around us. I get it. :rolleyes:

18. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, at the least that makes us one of the least-crappy teams out there, which makes Dave one of the best coaches in MLS. :p

No, I'm not satisfied with the level of play, but at least we ain't, well, almost any of the other teams in MLS....

19. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    I'm not happy with the 'at leasts' I want to be the dominant best. We should be. There's no excuse not to be. We are the GotDamn Chicago Fire.

20. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    It's not like the Fire haven't shopped Curtin before...

21. Karl Lagodzki

Karl Lagodzki Member

Jan 26, 2000
    Bloomington, IN
    Sarachan = poison

I'm going to miss Jesse, say whatever you will...