JD/GR: Watford v. Man Utd, 8/26 (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BuffloSoldier, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Another letdown of a weekend for Rossi.

This seemed like a great opportunity for him to make his debut. Yet with Man U winning 2-1 and half an hour left to play Ferguson takes off Solskjaer and replaces him with Park, leaving Saha to play as the lone forward. And they never utlilized their third sub, either.

I know it was a tactical move to help shore up an away victory, but where does this leave Rossi when Rooney and Smith return?

2. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Park was supposedly poor today, so perhaps we'll see Rossi play @ Tottenham.

3. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    The same place his is now. Fighting for that 4th striker spot in the rotation against Smith and OGS. Despite Ferguson not sending Rossi out on loan and saying he'll play a part, I don't think he quite trusts him out there and wants to stick with his more experienced players, especially early in the season. I think SAF wants to get through the first month of the season having taken maximum points in order to keep the pressure on Chelsea. Once that first month is over he might be more inclined to give Rossi more of a chance, but I think right now he'll be used in the League and FA Cup games quite a but and if he plays well, will get some time during the winter.

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also...correct me if I'm wrong (like I had to write that ;) ), but loans within the Prem have to be at least until the next transfer window. But a loan to the CCC can be for any length.

So it's possible that SAF felt like he had to hang on to Rossi until Smith and Solksjaer prove their health. Maybe in, say, early October, Rossi might get loaned to the CCC until Jan. 1, and then maybe he'll get loaned to a Prem team.

That would be the best case loan scenario, I would think.

5. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  6. TimBoston

TimBoston Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. abw

abw Member+

Nov 10, 1999
    Athens, GA
    From the Guardian:

"Premiership-quality performances from the likes of Jay DeMerit at the back and Ashley Young in midfield are encouraging."

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Re: pic

I suspect there's a wall somewhere in Wisconsin where that photo is goin' to be hung.:p

9. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Thats awesome. Call this guy up ASAP!

10. balatonsurfer

balatonsurfer BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 21, 2005
    Galbitown
    ...and on another play, DeMerit caught GIGGS from behind...making up ground on Giggs ain't that easy for a "slow" guy I imagine.

11. dsnipes1

dsnipes1 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    i wasnt saying jay IS slow, i meant he LOOKED very slow on that play, and had saha scored, it would've been quite embarrassing for jay.

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

Signed by Jay Demerit, "To Ryan, my b****."

13. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002

Demerit has much more class than that. He wouldn't be interested in trying to humiliate someone with useless words. He'll try to beat you on the pitch and be happy to shake your hand when the whistle blows regardless of the outcome. That's why he's where he is and not in some state of stunted aggressivity.

14. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are all still trying to figure out Jay. I think that his positioning is still off and much of his "slowness" will get worked out by better positioning as he adjusts to the Prem. Give him half a season and let's measure his progress, now that we can watch him fairly often.

15. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    I'm not making fun of you FirstStar, but I'm using this as a measuring stick.

I still think it's fun that so many American Fans are still not sure if Jay may have a future with the national team or whether he should even get looks since we've so many quality central defenders.

I'm just thinking .... so how many players do we have that are getting pretty good reviews week in and week out right now... and how many of them are playing opposition of the quality of the English Premier League???

I have a feeling Jay may forever lose a benefit of the doubt contest with a large number of posters/fans to others who are more well known.

16. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

It was a joke. Relax.

17. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002

Imagine that, and I thought the idea of comedy was saying something funny.

18. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

he could be the bouncer of the bar

19. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    They forgot he's American. If he had been in the World Cup, it would've read, "Watford were not helped by the clumsy performance of Jay DeMerit at the back, whose surname can only be viewed as ironic."

(I kid.)

20. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    And you do so adroitly. Excellent wordplay.