Jazz Discussion

Discussion in 'San Jose OT' started by markmcf8, Feb 15, 2022.

1. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And really, we should tolerate any sort of musical discussion here.

My brother is a big jazz fan and has exposed me to a lot of that music, though, I've found plenty of it myself.

I'm a fan of Kenny Burrell. But I need to get more of his albums. And George Barns too. I like a lot of really old school jazz, like Sidney Bechet and the New Orleans Feet Warmers. (Great name for a band.) And John Kirby Orchestra. The Benny Goodman Sextet of course, because Charlie Christian!! And I got into Eddie Lang from there. So I know Joe Venuti too, and a bunch of dudes (very few dudettes) from the 20's.

I found Larry Coryell on my own as a teenager. I have his Barefoot Boy album, which I still love today.

And because I'm a progressive rocker, I'm also into some fusion bands like Soft Machine, Jean-Luc Ponty, Jane Getter Premonition (there's a dudette!), and Percy Jones.

Well, that's a start.

Be cool!

- Mark

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]

-G

3. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NOT that kind of Jazz, Goodsie!! NO!!

4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #4 JazzyJ, Feb 15, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
    Jazz is the soccer of music :). Or is it soccer is the jazz of sports? I do feel like there are similarities in the free-flowiness, the improvisation, the egalitarianism, etc.

That's how I see it anyway. I'm a jazz musician so maybe I'm partial. I play piano and sax mainly but I love guitar and have dabbled on it. For guitar, off the top of my head, I like Wes Montgomery, this younger guy named Julian Lange, Pat Martino (RIP), early George Benson (before he became more of an R&B / pop guy), Martin Taylor, who does a lot of great solo guitar stuff on acoustic, and then there are a whole bunch of great Brazilian guitarists, like this guy Romero Lubambo, etc.

On a completely different style spectrum, for blues I've always liked Stevie Ray Vaughan.

5. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer predates Jazz by a fair number of millennia, so Jazz is the soccer of music.

I'm a progressive rock guitarist, so King Crimson, ELP, Yes, and a lot of my own music. ProgRock is clearly a more sophisticated version of rock. More for musicians than people on a crowded sweaty dance floor. I dabble on keyboards and I have a handful of percussion toys. I still need to get setup to record my own music.

And I don't limit my listening to guitarists. I like saxophone players and keyboard players a lot. My favorite musicians include Mel Collins on sax, and Keith Emerson on keyboards. And a whole host of others. And I try to borrow from some of what they are doing. It expands my thinking about music.

Also, keeping a guitar or two in different tunings forces me to play differently and think differently. Kind of fun.

This discussion got me to dig out a bunch of jazz albums. Listening to Kenny Burrell, On View at the Five Spot right now. Very nice!

6. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Listen to some George Duke. You might like it.

markmcf8 repped this.