'Jay Jay' Okocha set to join RSL...

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by RSL Fortaleza Menina, Jul 6, 2007.

1. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    Confirmed from 2 sources:

Pending final visa approval, flamboyant Nigerian international attacking mid Augustine Azuka "Jay Jay" Okocha set to join RSL . Okocha is a veteran of several World Cups and has played at Bolton, PSG, & Fenerbahce. Most recently Okocha has been at Qatar SC.

More details HERE

2. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 'Jay Jay' Ococha set to join RSL...

So is this a good thing?

3. nsps

nsps Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

Thanks for the news, FM.

Any Qatar fans familiar with Okocha's form as of late? Is this our DP?

Wikipedia says he scored five goals last season, but don't see assist info, etc...

So who sits: Ballouchy or Williams? (Or do we sit Talley or sit Atiba, move Talley back to D-mid and put Ballouchy on the right?)

4. Ryantherusskie

Mar 17, 2006
    Where it's kept Real
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, I remember him being a skilled and quick player...

in 1998.

Now? After flaming out in Turkey and Qatar (!), I'm not sure what we're getting ourselves into.

Will MLS provide him with a career renaissance?

I am very skeptical about this move...

5. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Great news - I hope this is true -- How about Ococha and Adu in the midfield with Ballouchy on the right --

Nice scoop FM

6. Black Prince

Black Prince Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

Color me skeptical as well; the dude is 34 in August.

7. dstorm

dstorm Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That was my exact thought when I first read this --- Did he really flame out in Turkey and Qatar? What's the history here --- what has he done lately --- It wasn't that long ago he was in the Premiership, unless I'm mistaken ---

8. misoccer6

misoccer6 New Member

Aug 29, 2004
    chapel hill

Of course, we take the older players because they ARE the future of RSL..

9. ccb1212

ccb1212 Member

Sep 5, 2006
    West Jordan,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Which brings up a good point. What is the purpose of this signing? We are not going to make the playoffs this year. Maybe he will help us win a couple of games. But I think I would rather have our younger players out there developing than some one that will be no help in us getting to the playoffs next year and beyond.

10. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think 63 games and 30 goals in two years at Fenerbahçe could be considered "flaming out" by any means.

11. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just last year he was an awesome player...and he is a member of the FIFA 100

Have no idea what he is like today though.

12. luciusmagister

luciusmagister New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    7th Heaven
    Jay-Jay? I hope this is true. If he is anywhere near fit RSL fans are in for a treat. He was and hopefully still is a very skilled player.

13. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Some claim him to be the best African midfielder ever...amazing skills, I recommend anyone to look around on YouTube.

14. luciusmagister

Feb 23, 2004
    7th Heaven
    Best African midfielder ever? Michael Essien might have something to say about that. Most skilled on the ball? I would say yes. Best African player all-time is George Weah if you ask me!!!!!

15. Neubill

Neubill Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jan 26, 2005
    Southern Kelehfornya

Before the advent of the DP slot, I was one of the people who believed Okocha and Pavel Nedved would be huge signings for MLS. I still hold to it.

Okocha's signing is big on multiple levels. He will bring the same level of leadership to RSL that Xavier brought to the Galaxy, but it may take a little longer.

Many posters on BS have been saying that MLS should be going to places like South America and Africa to get low-priced talent, as in players who have talent but are unable to catch on in Europe or the first team in South America. Okacha's signing may bring MLS to the attention of some of these Nigerians who are unable to get a European playing contract. They showcase their skills in MLS and the league sells the players for a decent transfer fee, which in turn moves teams further away from the red, creating the ability to increase the salary cap, enabling them to find a cure for the common cold, hunger, and poverty, so yes, this is a great signing.

16. FC Matt 90

FC Matt 90 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Jay Jay certainly is a fun player to watch (well at least he has been, I haven't seen him since he went to Qatar), and I don't think he's lost much in the years he's been out of the EPL. Sounds like a good signing, so long as the contract isnt anything too over the top.

Any word on how much $$$ RSL is going to pay him?

17. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007

As we know MLS is where all the dinosaurs come to die. Seriously, I assume/hope this isn't our DP. I do suppose that this will dampen the LD rumors a bit though. We are getting kindof heavy at that position.

18. CL_2004

CL_2004 New Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Toronto

Okocha is better than anything RSL currently has

19. luciusmagister

Feb 23, 2004
    7th Heaven

By a mile. Even if he comes in a wheelchair.

20. StarStopper

StarStopper Member

Oct 30, 2006
    I love Essien but he isn't even the best Ghanaian midfielder ever let alone best African. George Weah was a forward not a midfielder. Roger Milla was the most popular African mid ever for his WC accomplishments with Cameroun but the most skilled African mid ever IMO was Abedi Pele.

21. luciusmagister

Feb 23, 2004
    7th Heaven
    I said George was the G.O.A.T. African player not midfielder. :rolleyes: Learn to read. :D
    You could make a good case for Pele or Milla though.
    BTW who is this Ghanaian that is better than Essien in the midfield? Abedi Pele? Essien might still have something to say at 24 years old. We shall see.

22. luciusmagister

Feb 23, 2004
    7th Heaven
    BOT:
    [youtube]HrMOp5HeLqA[/youtube]

23. Super Phil

Super Phil Member

Apr 1, 2006
    West Jordan
    Damn....some of those highlights were badass! He looks like the kind of player that Freddy 'thinks' he is....but Okocha actually has success with his moves...and a wicked shot!

24. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    To be honest I don't know much about him, but I remember the name from the Atlanta Olympics. The highlights look great, but if they didn't they wouldn't be highlights.

It looks like maybe we'll finally have a mid who can put the ball in the net.

25. Ryantherusskie

Mar 17, 2006
    Where it's kept Real
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been said already, but this move obviously does not hold much promise over the long-term. That makes me wonder - surely the FO aren't trying to salvage anything from this disasterpiece of a season??

I think we'll all be watching this news develop with great interest. Hopefully he is fit and ready to contribute soon.

It certainly looks as though RSL will now have someone to take set pieces, though! :eek: Wowza!