Javier Mascherano

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Grinners89, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Mascherano, not Torres, is the real Benitez masterstroke

Javier Alejandro Mascherano
    Position: defensive midfielder
    Argentina National Team Captain (47 Caps)

Playing style: LIKE A MONSTER :D

Mascherano is the definition of a current, modern day monster footballer. The tactical/football definition of a monster can be outlined like this: "a player whose athleticism and versatility allows a team to push the boundaries of its capabilities. A player who can all but dominate a midfield full of world class opponents on his own." Fernando Redondo, arguably the best defensive midfielder in history, was one of these players.

Masch's 'monster' abilities allow us to play a high-pressing game, while he also is able to protect Xabi and other midfielders from having to do this work, therefore improving the effort that the other midfielder can put into attack.

For a player his age, his competitive experience is almost un-matched by anyone in world football. He has played in the FIFA U17 World Championship, FIFA World Youth Championship, 2004 Olympics, 2004 Copa America, 2005 Confederations Cup, 2006 World Cup, 2007 Copa America, 2008 Olympics as well as playing for Liverpool for the last 2 seasons playing in the current beast domestic league and the Champions League.

Defensively...you wont find a better midfielder in modern football. His tackling, positioning, work-rate, tactical awareness, marking (eg Kaka in CL final) and ball retention are better than any other modern midfielder and arguably, better than any defender in modern football.

His passion for the club, as shown by his celebrations after every goal scored by any player in the squad is truely heart-warming. His attitude towards the team, club, supporters and his own game and form is top class and as shown by his move to RB, he is not only tactically aware/versatile, but also does not complain.

While we know that his defensive game is arguably perfect...his attacking game has also been improving. His short passing and quick decision making have always made him the perfect volante de contencion. Towards the end of last season and especially this season, we have seen his passing range expand and his passing accuracy improve (approx 85%). He has only provided 2 assists this season, however other central midfielders, Alonso and Lucas, have provided 3 and 4 respectively...so he's not too far behind.

Another major improvement that he has made, something that Rafa has made a big point of throughout Masch's Liverpool career, is his long-range shooting. During his first first 6 months, his shooting couldve been compared to Momo's...however now, he seems to testing the GK at every attempt, or at least getting it within 1 foot of the frame. His left-foot effort against Madrid in the first 5 minutes showed exactly how much he has improved. He can hit the ball first time, or after trapping the ball with much greater technical correctness and skill. Hopefully we will see a few more goals from him during his entire Liverpool career.

Also in his attacking game, one thing that might not be noticed by so many is his dribbling and ability to beat a man. This season, I have seen him beat a man and make himself some space on a very regular basis.

His touch with the ball at his feet seems to have improved in all facets of the game.

Another important and interesting point.

Watching Rafa communicate regularly with Mascherano during matches and watching Mascherano communicate with the back 4 in the tunnel prior to the Man Utd match cemented his place as Rafa's eyes and ears on the pitch. While Pepe and Carra are also the major "voices" on the pitch in terms of organisation and direction, Masch is the main man when it comes to preparing the defence, midfield and forwards in our pressing game.

Although we have seen many of Masch's wonderful celebrations after a goal is scored, you'll find that he is one of the first ones that Rafa talks to to ensure that the team is prepared and need to receive any instructions.

He is and will be the key player to our spine for at least the next 6 years, which could be more like 10 years if he doesnt slow down when he reaches 30. If you look at our line-up, you cant imagine anyone else would provide such protection to our defenders as Masch does. He is a big reason why our team concede the least amount of shots on goal out of any Premier League team.

He is part of a group of core players at Liverpool who really do the job of two or three ordinary players on their own. Those that can adapt to any strategy or balance that Rafa employs and whose mentality and leadership is beyond question.

Reina, Carragher, Skrtel, Agger, Mascherano, Alonso, Gerrard, Torres.

We also have a group of younger players who could and IMO will make this group of core players. They are Lucas, Insua, Pacheco and Nemeth (Babel has this opportunity to be world class, but he isnt a core player in this mould that I described in the previous paragraph).

From Rafa:

Ill finish with the now famous Maradona quote recently.

"I am awake at 4am designing a team. The selection? It's Javier Mascherano and 10 more."

:)

2. bassboi

bassboi Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Oklahoma City
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    how do you pronounce his name again?????:D

3. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Dont go fishing! ;)

Btw whoever it was, I think he said its pronounced Mosh :confused:

4. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You say "either" and I say "either"
    You say "neither" I say "neither"
    "Either" "either", "neither" "neither"
    Let's call the whole thing off
    You say "potato," I say "patattah"
    You say "tomato", I say "creole tomata"
    Oh, let's call the whole thing off
    Oh, if we call the whole thing off
    Then we must part and oh
    If we ever part, that would break my heart
    So, I say "ursta" you say "oyster"
    I'm not gonna stop eatin' urstas just cause you say oyster,
    Oh, let's call the whole thing off
    Oh, I say "pajamas", you say "pajamas"
    Sugar, what's the problem?
    Oh, for we know we need each other so
    We'd better call the calling off off
    So let's call it off, oh let's call it off
    Oh, let's call it off, baby let's call it off
    Sugar why don't we call it off,
    I'm talking baby why call it off
    Call it off¡**
    Let's call the whole thing off

5. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I was hoping this thread would be about Masch and his amazing abilities on the pitch, rather than to do with some bullshit that a recent poster came up with :cool:

6. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    really disappointed he wont be in the lineup for the home game against Cheslea in the CL.

He would really disrupt Essien's disruptive influence.

7. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I believe it was Mas-ker-ahno

The poster said it was pronounced italian like bruschetta (Broosketta).

8. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think its Lampards influence that we would have to worry about more. He is in form and his passing can do some damage while Essien is a defensive midfielder and one of his main roles will be to stop Gerrard and Xabi.

9. newterp

newterp Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 6, 2007
    North Potomac, MD
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

haha - I know. I just thought my phrase sounded funny so I stuck with it. That said - Essien gets forward alot more than may other holding mids and is fairly good in linkup play - so Masch would end up messing with him as well.

10. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    When I first came over here I was surprised to find that American's said Potato just like I did (sorta!) and not 'Patartoe' like the song (or like Dan Quayle spelt it!) :D

Masch and Mosh will be fresh and ready to go down in Chelski.

11. TrimZ

TrimZ New Member

Mar 17, 2009
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think Lucas should mark Lampard. He did a decent job against Carrick, he should be able to do the same against fatty.

12. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mahs-kay-rah-no. :confused:

13. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ees an eetahleeun nem. chew air correcuht.

14. kingb71

kingb71 Member

Dec 28, 2004
    Toronto
    And the funny thing is the commentator during the game against ManU said Carrick is the best holding midfielder in the prem this season, or something to that affect.
    I almost snorted beer out my nose when I heard that.

15. Kawklee

Kawklee BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 30, 2008
    Miami
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone who plays for the glorious club Manchester United is the best at everything.

16. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tAUDiS4rak"]I second that emotion[/ame]

17. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Nice post Grinners, but you forgot something- a couple of pics of the man in action!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    until you see a photo like this, it's hard to comprehend why Mascherano is so powerful, and then you note that he has the thighs of a hockey player.

19. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have five dollars and Javier Mascherano has five dollars, Mascherano has more money than you.

There is no 'ctrl' button on Mascherano's computer. Mascherano is always in control.

Apple pays Javier Mascherano 99 cents every time he listens to a song.

Javier Mascherano can sneeze with his eyes open.

Javier Mascherano is suing Myspace for taking the name of what he calls everything around you.

Javier Mascherano can kill two stones with one bird.

Javier Mascherano can touch MC Hammer.

When Javier Mascherano is in a crowded area, he doesn't walk around people. He walks through them.

The Bermuda Triangle used to be the Bermuda Square, until Javier Mascherano slide tackled one of the corners off.

Javier Mascherano ordered a Big Mac at Burger King, and got one.

The grass is always greener on the other side, unless Javier Mascherano has been there. In that case the grass is most likely soaked in blood and tears.

Javier Mascherano's house has no doors, only walls that he walks through.

There is in fact an “I” in Javier, but there is no “team”… not even close.

Some kids play Kick the can. Javier Mascherano played Kick the keg.

If at first you don't succeed, you're not Javier Mascherano.

20. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Bruschetta can go either way. I say "Mas-ker-ahno" though.

21. iCEMANGSCCC

iCEMANGSCCC Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Winston-Salem
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To be fair, anybody can sneeze with their eyes open.

22. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But can anyone but Javier Mascherano win Solitaire with only 18 playing cards?

Thought so.

:cool:

23. iCEMANGSCCC

iCEMANGSCCC Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Winston-Salem
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Touche'

24. CCSC_STRIKER20

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stephen Hawking found out the hard way not to ******** with Javier Mascherano.

25. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, please, not Mick and Keith with Roger McGuinn :eek: