Jason Byrne -> Djurgardens

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by USvsIRELAND, Dec 13, 2005.

1. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    This could be very interesting. Obviously with Crowe also being pretty prolific and the funds they will gain from in, the move won't do too much damage in the short term, and if Fenlon spends the money well, Shels could ell come out of this move even stronger.

On the wider spectrum - the LoI - some might look at this and say what a travesty it is, that we are selling our best players to some nobody Swedish team, and a feeder league to the feeder leagues is not something we want to become. To the more optimistic fans, it could be a good move since our players are finally being noticed, and Djugardens are a perennial UEFA cup team from what I know of them, and they have sold some pretty handy players over the last few years, such as goalkeeper Andreas Isaksson and Swedish inernational midfielder Kim Kallstrom to respectable Ligue 1 teams in France... and that if Byrne cn take his chance and stand-out, he might have some Premiership, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A (God I hope not) or Ligue 1 teams looking at him; obviously not the top teams, but mid-lowering ones.

If he can use this as a springboard to bigger & better things, one or two others might follow suit and could be successful. And before Philo bites in with something original, having players that are fully developed in a league (as Byrne was in the LoI), and ready to step it up to play in better leagues will, if anything, be a testament to the League of Ireland and will be a long-term bonus.

If you factor in what Doyle has done at Reading as well, the LoI could be showing more and more signs of becoming a league along the lines of Switzerland, Belgium, etc. Far from great, but some definite moves in the right directions being made.

2. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I agree completely. And I really think that although it may be far off, combining the LOI with the Irish League will be a big step forward to having a better quality league among the likes of Switzerland, Belgium, etc.

3. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Latest is the deal is off, Djurgardens weren't giving enough money

4. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Shame.

5. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    It certinaly is not. I'm delighted.

6. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    You would be :p

The rest of us non-Shels fans would have liked to have seen how he got on in Sweden, I think.

7. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    lol yeah. I've been to a Shelbourne game so I have a soft spot for them, but my cousin plays for Bohemians, and I have a Glen Crowe signed Boh's jersey, but he now plays for Shels. See how confused I am?

8. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/2005/1223/shelbourne.html

9. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    And back off track it goes, seemingly for good this time. Shels offical website had this to say...

Says alot when the player himself would turn down such a move to stay at Shels, a very good sign indeed.

10. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Hopefully they'll do something with the money from Hoolahan's transfer.